TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Saw CSM 5645 in Newport News, VA this afternoon

Dig-It

I went to one of the local Ford dealerships to have a spare key made for the daily driver I picked up Tuesday. While I was waiting, I ventured out to the lot where I saw the distinctive black paint and silver stripes of a Shelby GT. As I peeked in the window to see which number it was (CSM 5645), a salesman came out to greet me. He explained that they didn't have any "real Shelby’s" (GT500's) right now because they're still selling like crazy - but they did have this Mustang with a Shelby "body kit" on it that looked real nice.

I was able to hold my tongue for about two seconds before I took him to school. I explained the differences between the GT500 and the GT as far as performance/build locations/options - the whole nine yards. The cool thing is, and I'll give the guy credit here, he took it all in. He asked genuine questions that showed me he was willing to learn something about the product he was hired to sell. It ticks me off that his bosses didn't take the time do the same and help this guy out.

Michael M. - Every time that I've talked to anyone at your dealership, the person has always been professional, courteous, and knowledgeable. Thank you!

This is not intended to be a slam or flamming. It is intended to be for information only. Sorry if I offend anyone.

My experience in the Omaha area has been that the dealers are not well informed when it comes to the SGT.

They lack what I would consider the information necessary to order a SGT for a customer. I have know more about the options and order codes than they do.

Some salesmen that I have talk to do not even know where the SGT is built or what colors are available for 07 & 08. You would at least think they know something about the 07 since it has been around for nearly a year.

I was told a few weeks ago that I could get it in any color I wanted. WOW...You would think that Ford would provide some training or information packets/fliers/notices to their dealers.

By the way, I did find one dealership that knew something about the SGT...That's the dealership I am getting my 08SGT through. (I informed my salesperson, who is a 2004 Cobra Mustang owner, about this web site)

Would this be something that SAI could help with? Providing Marketing information to the dealers with the goal of increasing demand.

Ford Motor Co. is in big trouble, financially, as we all know. The above example is a big reason why. Training. What's really sad is, I was reading a story about the Merkur XR4Ti. Some of you guys may remember that, back in the early 80's. Do you remember why it did so poorly in this country? The dealers didn't know anything about it and didn't know how to sell it! Same thing now, 25 years later. There's just no excuse for that.

Ford Motor Co. is in big trouble, financially, as we all know. The above example is a big reason why. Training. What's really sad is, I was reading a story about the Merkur XR4Ti. Some of you guys may remember that, back in the early 80's. Do you remember why it did so poorly in this country? The dealers didn't know anything about it and didn't know how to sell it! Same thing now, 25 years later. There's just no excuse for that.

The sad thing is they usually don't know about any of the products!When I first test drove an 07 mustang GT I apparently got the salesman that knew everything ,and was more than happy to share!First out of his mouth was how strong the good old C6 transmission was in the new mustang,I just laughed,And left!He should have been told they haven't used that transmission in the mustang since 1973,But I didn't have time for a debate.

Lets not get too far off track. There a few really good Ford Salesmen who have an honest understanding of the SGT's. (I do not want to imply that all Ford Salesmen do not have the required information of SGT's). It's just that there are some out there giving the others a bad name.

I was lucky enough to find a Mustang admirer (and owner) who was willing to learn and go the extra mile for me. When I met him, he at least had some prior knowledge of the SGT's.

We (as interested members) need to be patient and helpful of those who may not have the knowledge and the information available on SGT's. It may be best if we extend a "helping hand" in providing a marketing campaign to those who do not understand all the facts that we have.

I went to one of the local Ford dealerships to have a spare key made for the daily driver I picked up Tuesday. While I was waiting, I ventured out to the lot where I saw the distinctive black paint and silver stripes of a Shelby GT. As I peeked in the window to see which number it was (CSM 5645), a salesman came out to greet me. He explained that they didn't have any "real Shelby’s" (GT500's) right now because they're still selling like crazy - but they did have this Mustang with a Shelby "body kit" on it that looked real nice.

I was able to hold my tongue for about two seconds before I took him to school. I explained the differences between the GT500 and the GT as far as performance/build locations/options - the whole nine yards. The cool thing is, and I'll give the guy credit here, he took it all in. He asked genuine questions that showed me he was willing to learn something about the product he was hired to sell. It ticks me off that his bosses didn't take the time do the same and help this guy out.

Michael M. - Every time that I've talked to anyone at your dealership, the person has always been professional, courteous, and knowledgeable. Thank you!

thanks for the kind words Kevin. all the guys at the store call me Shelby Queer. its because i know the cars, the options and any and everything you can do to them.( i have always been mustang crazy, have a brochure for every year since 84) i enjoy talking about them and learning about them. not all sales folks are in for the long haul. they are doing it until they get a REAL job. its alot easier to sell something that you like and man have i sold some shelby products. 22 GTHs, 5 07 SGTs, 4 08 SGTs, and 3 07 GT500s and 3 08 GT500s. all 3 08s GT500 are going to be Super Snaked. working on the fourth 08 Super Snake.

i really am Shelby Queer i guess.

michael morris

thanks for the kind words Kevin. all the guys at the store call me Shelby Queer. its because i know the cars, the options and any and everything you can do to them.( i have always been mustang crazy, have a brochure for every year since 84) i enjoy talking about them and learning about them. not all sales folks are in for the long haul. they are doing it until they get a REAL job. its alot easier to sell something that you like and man have i sold some shelby products. 22 GTHs, 5 07 SGTs, 4 08 SGTs, and 3 07 GT500s and 3 08 GT500s. all 3 08s GT500 are going to be Super Snaked. working on the fourth 08 Super Snake.

michael morris

I would agree !!! thats alot of Shelby's you've sold !!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

That is a lot of Shelby's Michael!

I didn't lose my cool with the guy - well maybe initially because of the whole "real Shelby" and "body kit" comment. But as soon as I realized that he wasn't some overbearing Mustang know-it-all trying to impress others with his knowledge ... um, wait a minute, I think I just described myself :blink: ... anyway, I picked up on the fact that the poor guy was sent out by the money hungry sales managers to fend for himself without proper product training.

Now the rare exception does exist, but this is true with most of the dealerships around here in Southeast Virginia.

This is one of the most concentrated areas for military forces in the US. We have over a dozen installations with all four branches of service represented - hell, even the puddle pirate Coast Guard has 2 - 3 different bases.

Every new and used car dealership sales manager knows that he can make a killing off of many of the young service members - and they do everyday! They'll hire almost anyone to push their cars because they know they have a HUGE customer base to work with. Premium pricing and 34% interest are not unheard of and almost half of the used car dealers have been deemed "Off limits" to military personnel due to proven predatory lending practices. It's been so bad around here for so long that the military offers car buying classes to members of the armed forces.

There are 21 Ford dealerships within 55 miles of my house! Most of which are charging $10,000 over MSRP for the 2008 Shelby GT’s – if they’re even getting one. Fair pricing and quality customer service are the reasons why I’m buying mine from Wayne Morris Ford in Perry, GA – over 500 miles away from where I live!

Sorry to rant, but I want to let everyone know how bad it is around here.

There are 21 Ford dealerships within 55 miles of my house! Most of which are charging $10,000 over MSRP for the 2008 Shelby GT’s – if they’re even getting one. Fair pricing and quality customer service are the reasons why I’m buying mine from Wayne Morris Ford in Perry, GA – over 500 miles away from where I live!

Sorry to rant, but I want to let everyone know how bad it is around here.

+1 from another Hampton Roads area Wayne Morris customer. I was offered $5000 over MSRP at my local dealer.

+1 from another Hampton Roads area Wayne Morris customer. I was offered $5000 over MSRP at my local dealer.

Don't feel bad here in Nashville TN,There is a dealer that is still stuck on 45k out the door for their 07 SGT's,That doesn't include whatever Ford cash you get,But they are proud of them!Two ways to look at this,First it helps our cars retain VALUE!Second,They are waiting for some poor sucker buried in his current car,Gives them a lot more room to play with the trade!

i have not put this on the forum yet, but since yall are talking so nice about Wayne Morris Ford i will throw this out there. i have 2 SGT convt on the way to SAI if anyone is interested. Ford gave them to us at the very end of the production run. if anyone is interested let me know. pretty well loaded 5spds

michael morris

michael morris

Thats what makes a dealership Profitable, People like yourself that like what they are doing and believe in the product they are selling. I wish our Ford across the street had people like yourself, They would be movin cars like crazy.........

:)

Archived