TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New pics- polished wheels/black car

STLShelby

Dealer changed the wheels last night per agreement. I really like the way it looks, but now there's a bug to work out. Today it threw a code saying " Tire pressure monitor fault" and the orange light is flashing. The dealer has never done this before and they are trying to figure it out. I am thinking you have to reprogram the computer to the different sensors, or keep the same sensors with the same car, just a guess. Can't even change wheels on the new cars without it being a pain in the a$$. Would appreciate it, if anyone with some knowledge on this would chime in. Other than that i'm digg'n the way it looks.

100_1113.jpg

100_1115.jpg

100_1129.jpg

100_1130.jpg

Dealer changed the wheels last night per agreement. I really like the way it looks, but now there's a bug to work out. Today it threw a code saying " Tire pressure monitoring fault" and the orange light is flashing. The dealer has never done this before and they are trying to figure it out. I am thinking you have to reprogram the computer to the different sensors, or keep the same sensors with the same car, just a guess. Can't even change wheels on the new cars without it being a pain in the a$$. Would appreciate it, if anyone with some knowledge on this would chime in. Other than that i'm digg'n the way it looks.

Looks very nice on the black car. Jim

Thanks guys!

Something else i just thought of. These wheels/tires came off an 08, i wonder if they changed something between the years. Since Shelby offers different wheels i'm sure Bud or John or somebody at Shelby knows what to do.

No change in the wheels from '07 to '08. I have an '08. Jim

The wheels look great.

There have been a few threads here about the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). There are bands in the wheels / tires that need to be reset when you swap wheels. Some say you can use the old bands, others say you have to insert new bands. Someone else who has had their wheels swapped can probably comment with more information. I think that light may go off on its own after some period of time, too.

They told me today that the 08 regular Gt that got my black wheels has the warning light flashing, but isn't displaying the the code my car is. They went thru the procedure on the other car and can't get the light to quit flashing. Didn't think it was going to be a hassle since their factory wheels.

I believe that your dealer should have an instrument which resets the sensors. With the "reset tool" being held / aimed at the wheel, w/ the key in the ignition, the mechanic goes through a series of steps w/ turning the key. This is done at each tire/wheel. The reset tool cost about $200 or $300 bucks! Unless your dealer used the sensors from the original wheels, which is doubtful, you sensors must be reset.

The black / polished car looks great!

I believe that your dealer should have an instrument which resets the sensors. With the "reset tool" being held / aimed at the wheel, w/ the key in the ignition, the mechanic goes through a series of steps w/ turning the key. This is done at each tire/wheel. The reset tool cost about $200 or $300 bucks! Unless your dealer used the sensors from the original wheels, which is doubtful, you sensors must be reset.

The black / polished car looks great!

Thanks for the compliment ilmor.

They did the procedure you spoke of and couldn't get the light to go off on the other car. I just got off the phone with them and and they are thinking they will have to go into the computer and change the frequency.

They just swapped the wheel/tire combo. Didn't break them down and change the sensors.

Speaking of polish: Are these wheels (stock 18" polished) clear-coated? I've tested inconspicious places on the wheel with polish it doesn't appear to brighten the shine.

mine.jpg

Yep, i know. I asked the dealer when we bought my wife's Gt a year and a half ago (which has the same wheels) and they said they were clearcoated. I keep hers waxed, and waxed mine last night and can't tell much difference. At least they have some protection. They don't seem to be a high polished aluminum so they won't shine like chrome.

That was definately a curve ball, I fell in love with this car when it only had shiny wheels,

I recently came across an email to my then girlfriend Dale of those first pre-production shots of the SGT's at Red Rocks. My message with the picture was:

Oh Baby....dont be jealous.....its just a car.....(but what a car!!)

I want the black one honey!

dreams do come true! ;)

and I love the black wheels now to boot!

The chrome rims look great, gives the car a whole different look....

but....why did you let the dealer drill your front bumper to hang the license plate bracket.....OUCH!!

Mo. requires a front license plate. Once i get to license bureau it will have a tag.

Thanks for the compliments.

OK, stock wheels are "painted" with clear coat. Has anyone used the Mother's "Powerball" on them, or is everyone hand wash/waxing?

By the way, did you get the light re-set?

I would hand wash/wax myself. I only use the powerball on non coated aluminum wheels with aluminum polish.

Nope sure didn't. The dealer hasn't got the scoop on it yet. I told them yesterday they ought to call Ford Tech and find out how to reset the frequency for the computer and sensors.

Nope sure didn't. The dealer hasn't got the scoop on it yet. I told them yesterday they ought to call Ford Tech and find out how to reset the frequency for the computer and sensors.

The EEC stores 300 hours of dynamic sensor data for referrence, and you could try one fix yourself.

Disconnect the battery for 15-30 minutes. Dynamic sensor data such as average MPG, AFR, outside temps and such, will die. The PSI sensor data may be included in that. Everything else will be fine, including any custom flash tune installed by Shelby. Once you reconnect the battery, go for a ride and do some WOT "on-ramp" blasts. The EEC will think it's a brand new car, and begin recording fresh data You may notice an improvement in the car's performance, because all historical dynamic data is gone.

This worked for me many, many times with my last 3 factory performance cars, all Mercury Marauders, one supercharged. When they would start acting up due to seasonal climate change, I'd clear the EEC and start fresh. Never failed.

The EEC stores 300 hours of dynamic sensor data for referrence, and you could try one fix yourself.

Disconnect the battery for 15-30 minutes. Dynamic sensor data such as average MPG, AFR, outside temps and such, will die. The PSI sensor data may be included in that. Everything else will be fine, including any custom flash tune installed by Shelby. Once you reconnect the battery, go for a ride and do some WOT "on-ramp" blasts. The EEC will think it's a brand new car, and begin recording fresh data You may notice an improvement in the car's performance, because all historical dynamic data is gone.

This worked for me many, many times with my last 3 factory performance cars, all Mercury Marauders, one supercharged. When they would start acting up due to seasonal climate change, I'd clear the EEC and start fresh. Never failed.

Thanks LuLu can't hurt to try.

Archived