TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Eleventh hour reality check

Three Cobras

I have been following the debates on the GT500 for some time, and definitely have more than passing interest in the final product as a Powerlease guy. For what it's worth - and to continue some thoughtful discussion - here are my OPINIONS.

1. Ford, for whatever reason, is moving away from the run it hard enthusiasts (whatever your poison may be, you drive the car). They have, I believe, willingly stepped aside to provide the open market for tuners and aftermarket manufacturers. This lets them have a lot of the glow with little of the expense or certification problems. They have engineered a generic enough product to allow easy mods.

2. SVT may well still have some real car guys, but they've lost out to the suits as far as product is concerned. Can anybody tell me what the 'demand signal' is for the leather interior? I have seen many folks on this and other fora debating passionately about the mechanicals but virtually not at all about the interior. Since leather does not come cheap, it comes at the cost of something else within the fixed price point band. Was it IRS? I know what I'd choose. Anyway, I think this is a good signal of the market intent for the car. I think the car is targeted more at 'collectors'. Perhaps they are a much less demanding customer base than enthusiasts. That's be my guess anyway.

3. My 04 Cobra, bought as a means to an end - the 07 Cobra - is looking more like the end than the means to me. I like it a whole lot. A whole lot. Comparing just MSRPs so as to stay apples to apples (I'm using $40K for the estimated 07 price just for planniing) I have trouble convincing myself the new car (without IRS but with bigger engine) is $5K better. I realize this is deeply personal, but content-wise this is how I see it.

4. The GT500 design is done. There will be no chnages of any significance between now (or the January unveiling) and production. The car really hasn't changed since the March show as much as it has some trick stuff replaced by cheaper stuff (or more available stuff - I think the twin screw is 'unobtainium' right now).

So here's what I ask. Let's suppose everyone who posts is financially equal, that you can get the car at MSRP (let's say $40K), but that doing so will stretch you a bit. Stretch you enough that you can manage to buy it but you'll have to slim down some other spending - no, I don't mean food for the kids or other necessities. What are your best reasons to buy the GT500 in the likely configuration it will be in at the show, or your best reasons to pass on it? I know this is probably like herding cats, but it's close to showtime. What are you thinking?

My love of the newer design is the interior roominess that I have not found in the SN95 line. If a new Shelby or Cobra were not to be made I would already have a new GT in the garage. I'm a greedy guy and so long as there is a bigger and more performance oriented Mustang on the horizon then I want it.

Interesting question. The time is here to either put up or shut up.

I guess you can label me as an enthusiast with an eye at becoming a collector. I'm in my mid 30's so I never had a chance to own a real piece of America muscle car history, but as I was growing up I had a room filled with posters and pictures of Mustangs, Chevelles, Chargers, you name it...

My hope is that the GT500 will fill a void for me. I can afford the car but will need to sacrifice. It offers just enough nostalgia to curb my craving for a old muscle car. It has a big motor, high HP, cool looks (except maybe the hood, I don't love it but maybe it will grow on me). Plus its the first Mustang in 40 to wear the Shelby name. People may label him as a "whore", but I don't see it that way. He did some truly incredible things in the racing world and as such is justified in using his name to his benefit.

As far as the performance of the car is concerned, I really could care less. I'm a family man and as such have responsibilities that overshadow my desire to go .1 seconds faster. I can't even begin to tell how many times I would love to go after the person that cut me off, but its kind of hard to do it and look cool in a minivan while "Wiggles" is playing on the screen. I know "take it to the track", but I just don't have the time for it.

I guess my conclusion / justification for the car is that it will be a toy for me but I can't begin to tell you what a joy it will be when I drop the top and take my kids for their first ride. The smiles on their faces will be priceless.

Maybe, I can instill a love for cars in them that exists in me..

Two years ago when the thoughts of the "NEXT SVT" started and a year ago when the concept NAIA debut happened I bought into the best COBRA yet. That soon changed to the "best Mustang yet". Since the rest of the domestics and not a few import man. have caught up and even surpased FORD and SVT. Now the word is out that FORD will no longer support the owners that made this possible., as the SVTOA is being disbanded due to IMHO spurious reasoning.Does SVT boost the company image? Sure looked like it did just a few months ago. I need to replace my COBRA but I am now waiting on my own opinion of the cost/performance value balance. If not I am giong to get a c6 VETTE. Maybe a Z06, however that car is about 30+k more and very focused(like SVT used to be) so I will still want a daily driver. And freaking FORD wants me to wait another 2+ years for a Fusion/performance variant? Waiting impaitently....

Interesting question. The time is here to either put up or shut up.

It offers just enough nostalgia to curb my craving for a old muscle car. It has a big motor, high HP, cool looks (except maybe the hood, I don't love it but maybe it will grow on me). Plus its the first Mustang in 40 to wear the Shelby name. ....

.....I'm a family man and as such have responsibilities that overshadow my desire to go .1 seconds faster. I can't even begin to tell how many times I would love to go after the person that cut me off, but its kind of hard to do it and look cool in a minivan while "Wiggles" is playing on the screen. I know "take it to the track", but I just don't have the time for it.

I guess my conclusion / justification for the car is that it will be a toy for me but I can't begin to tell you what a joy it will be when I drop the top and take my kids for their first ride. The smiles on their faces will be priceless.

Maybe, I can instill a love for cars in them that exists in me..

Couldn't have written my reasons any better if you had read my mind....except I'm a bit older (50) and I DID own a '66 GT350 for a while....and I remember those times fondly(..and with a bit of amazement that I'm still here..)

It's kind of like owning a Harley - there may be faster bikes out there, but put the Harley in the middle of 20 or 30 of them and ride down main street USA....see which bike everyone oohs and ahhhs at. See which one everyone gathers around first at the first parking lot you all park in to have a smoke..

... it's still a SHELBY guys ! The first one in 30 years. Who cares what comes AFTER it......

Archived