TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BOLD MOVES

Here's the link...enjoy

http://www.fordboldmoves.com/default.aspx

Hey, CWH, I saw Ep-6 today and it struck me that it's like an AA 12-step (or so I've ben told); you know -- the first thing you have to do is tell everyone you have a problem.

Actually, I liked the broader focus on doing what's genuinely greener for the planet as opposed to just focussing on better gas mpg. The tri-flex motor they talked about is te one they showed in the Super Chief (giant pick-up) concept at NYIAS in April: it burns gas or E85 or Hydrogen in that blown V10 and the ECU dynamically adjusts to all three.

As long as we still get a great Boss 302 gas-burner soon :)

-Dan

Hey, CWH, I saw Ep-6 today and it struck me that it's like an AA 12-step (or so I've ben told); you know -- the first thing you have to do is tell everyone you have a problem.

Actually, I liked the broader focus on doing what's genuinely greener for the planet as opposed to just focussing on better gas mpg. The tri-flex motor they talked about is te one they showed in the Super Chief (giant pick-up) concept at NYIAS in April: it burns gas or E85 or Hydrogen in that blown V10 and the ECU dynamically adjusts to all three.

As long as we still get a great Boss 302 gas-burner soon :)

-Dan

Yeah, I saw that Super Chief at the Jan. at the 2006 NAIAS in Detroit, It was cool & I think it was in episode #2 (sounded mean).

In episode #6 that lady for green peace should have also mentioned that GM & Dodge both have some type of Cylinder deactivation on their V-8's for better fuel mileage & that Ford doesn't yet? Wonder why? The tri-flex motor is a nice option but not practicle right now cause they can't even get enough E85 gas stations to carry it right now. The last time I looked & before it got attention their was only 1 station in Lansing that had E85 (at a truck stop) & at that time it was .60 cents cheaper & now its almost the same price & I think we have a total of 2? :rant:

Yeah, I saw that Super Chief at the Jan. at the 2006 NAIAS in Detroit, It was cool & I think it was in episode #2 (sounded mean).

In episode #6 that lady for green peace should have also mentioned that GM & Dodge both have some type of Cylinder deactivation on their V-8's for better fuel mileage & that Ford doesn't yet? Wonder why? The tri-flex motor is a nice option but not practicle right now cause they can't even get enough E85 gas stations to carry it right now. The last time I looked & before it got attention their was only 1 station in Lansing that had E85 (at a truck stop) & at that time it was .60 cents cheaper & now its almost the same price & I think we have a total of 2? :rant:

Yeah, I'm wondering if the GM and DCX patents haven't made it very tough to find a third viable and cheap approach to cylinder deactivation. I've been following that since GMs botched attempts in the '80s but it looks like their present solution works fairly well; I've heard +10% mpg on cruise.

We don't have any E85 that I'm aware of here in upstate NY, though some Exxon-Mobil stations put 10% ethanol in their 87-regular (and only put a tiny sticker on the pump) and the EPA is mandating that in major cities, I believe. I avoid it like the plague since it typically costs the same (or a few cents more) and mileage is noticeably worse, which makes sense since there's just less energy in ethanol. My buddy who I sold my '01 Cobra too drives to northern Jersey to find gas without ethanol.

I read that if all US farmland presently in cultivation (including all food-crop land) we're converted to ethanol production, it would offset the energy in 14% of US fossil fuel consumption, so ethanol is clearly only a supplemental fuel ...or we could buy from Brazil and be held hostage by someone else. It works in Brazil because their growing-acres/person is many times that of the US.

What I really like about Ford's tri-flex is that Ford is the only auto mfgr I'm aware of who has a viable technology to burn hydrogen in an IC engine. That could be very valuable during the hydrogen phase-in years (if there are such years!).

And the hydrogen myth is a whole 'nother game. Zero tailpipe emissions (except for possibly water-glazed roads in winter;-) but at the expense of making hydrogen from water using gobs of electricity from dirty western coal, or from LNG which keeps us hostage to oil and foreingn countries. Actually, I think nuclear has a real role here. The former is less energy efficient and polutes far more than gas (just not at the tailpipe), the latter is more expensive than gas though cleaner, but keeps us fossil-fuel addicted. Sheesh! You can't win! I view hydrogen as a 'battery' (not a natural resource fuel) since it's a potentially useful energy storage medium. But hyrdogen without clean-coal technology or nuclear is likely financially untenable, and even though the new nukes are actually extraordinarily safe, it's still a bit scary.

I'm also intrigued buy a patented process I've read about that's now gone through a 3-year scale-plant trial, that creates an ultra-pure diesel fuel from processing garbage; everything from tires to industrial waste and plastics to household trash... anything now or formerly organic or with lots of hydrogen-carbon compounds. That can be a real winner and the scale costs are believed to be less than hydrogen, and the fuel is fully compatible with the new low-sulfur fossil diesels.

Anyhow, I'm getting way off topic (as I tend to do sometimes), but I can see it now: "April 17, 2044; 96 year old 'Scooter' Hotrod, a mere lad of 16 when he bought his first hi-po mustang, will be firing it up today at noon in the town park to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the Mustang if he can get enough high octane delivered to him for the event. Don't miss this historic recreation and glimpse at a simpler life and time -- Scooter has just installed a new set of Mallory dual-points he's been saving for the occasion and has promised us at least one good burnout on the original red-stripe tires." :doh:

I can't even imagine what the ADM would be on that collectable :hysterical:

:hysterical::hysterical:

...but would you be interested in a li'l old 300HP 4.6L Shelby GT1000HE4-KR with a 75KW/100HP A/C hub motor at each wheel (sort of 'electric NOS') computer integrated so it's all transparently available at the whim of your right foot, for a total of about 700HP (2x100 to the front and 2x100 + 300 to the rear).

Hell, we'll probably be here, Hi-Po Hybrids Unleashed, talking about the badest-a$$ set of high-current buss-packs and how much commutator advance ramps best with the 4.6 and 4.10s, don't ya think -- and ain't that new Magna-drive-360 joystick-CVT a kick through the esses at Lime Rock? .... huh? Ok, make it a Boss 281-HE4-R :)

I know, I'm a sick puppy, but I can see being comfortable driving my solid 'old' '07 GT500 to work and hunting 'Vette HydroRay-SSs on the weekend -- if I haven't lost bladder control by then! :hysterical2:

<backing away from the pipe now; meds in sight; no phone calls necessary> :hysterical:

Personally I work on an oil rig in Canada. So keep sucking back the fuel. I need a raise in pay. LOL

I am a part of that industry myself, and they can have the crude. But were gonna charge like :censored: for the water!! :hysterical: I just posted this to Bold Moves, curious as to comment.(Yes it was meant to be inflamitory, however the issues are vital to all of humanity. And there is until now very little good debate.) "

Well. BOLD indeed. The largest issue to ever face humankind (and only incidentally Ford Motor Company) and the first face I see is a bachelaoureate in Landscaping. On to the biggest issue, and the only real one (if one is a realist) how does Ford make money from the revolution? Because make no mistake this isn’t Fords Rubicon. This is humanities mess and it is going to take at least the sort of fear and suffering that the atomic one did some 60 years ago. Which we still haven’t quite cleaned up yet. But if Ford wants to look at being a leader in fixing what may or may not be fixable, hydrogen is the only realistic answer. Hybrids are a panacea for the pysci and of limited technical benefit. Anyone who can’t see that engineering two complete drivelines for one car is of questionable intellect, should be extremely thankful that so many young people from so many places are so willing to protect their personal freedom to make, hmm; less than fully informed consumer choices. Even a certified car nut like Mr. Lutz (yes that viper guy) at a fellow endangered Forbes behemoth, calls them a PR expense. Ford has already managed that one very well by simply licensing the flavour of the week from Toyota. And as to the issue of Ethanol, that is a very well managed industry if there ever was one. Nothing bad ever came from heavily subsidized monoculture agriculture did it? Are they suggesting that they have achieved true alchemy in turning food into transportation? Ford is one of the two world leaders in hydrogen combustion and until recently was a major partner of the major fuel cell leader. So why reinvent the wheel, unless the payoff is at least as long term as that fine product. We got one hundred years plus out of dinogas, may as well spend some of that money on the replacement. Which, it so happens is truly UNLIMITED. The physics are really big. As big as, well… the Sun! And if you want to know how to fund it, hey your biggest fan the oil industry has been taking advantage of Ford (and its valued customers) to the tune of 80 large a minute this year, how about you lobby them for the money they have taken from your customers to pay for the old product you suggest has put you in this mess? After all what is taxation without representation? Wait; that’s business as usual."

I figure Ford dropped out of their relationship with Ballard because they figure their hydrogen IC technology is cheaper and equally effective, and if hydrogen-electric becomes the best path, they'll then license same as GM and DCX. I just hope it doesn't bite them i the a$$ on the patent game -- I think that's why, for example, we don't see any Ford cylinder deactivation (just a hunch) -- late to the party with no other viable non-infringing approach can catch ya.

There seem to be two hydrogen camps emerging: hydrogen from water (huge energy needed) and hydrogen from LPG/NG (persistent dependence on foreign supplies). There's been a battle raging over the past six years by the oil companies quietly buying up new pipeline easements all over the US -- and it's not for petrol, it's for LNG and, potentially, hydrogen, at least that's the cover-you-options bet. Whether the industry goes hydrogen from water or LPG, there's going to be a huge amount of new pipelines bing built. One other source I read about that is still in the early feasibility stages, is that there are enormous deposits of 'frozen' hydride crystals on the ocean floor that are easily processed into hydrogen gas. The volume of them is staggering and the energy they contain is estimated to be 1-to-2 orders of magnitude more than the energy in all the oil ever pumped. Problem is, the biggest deposits are at the deepest ocean depths and no one has a clue how to harvest/mine them. If hydrogen is "made" more conventionally from water, the energy would come from dirty western coal (85% of existing electric power in US). Of course it could come from new nukes or, nice sustainable sources like solar or wind. Ironically, solar and wind have their own problems, besides cost, ...a long story though I feel both have a place in our future. But I do think that hydrogen will be the energy 'storage meduim' of the future... how to make it economically is a big problem though.

And, JETSOLVER, you make a good tongue-in-cheek point on monoculture ethanol.. besides the scaling problem (though it makes a good gas supplement) there's the problem of a minor climate hiccup and we're not just denied some of our favorite foods, we can't even heat our homes or run our cars. Well, Canada has the market coming at them ;-) a little more global warming and the sweet spot of the wheat belt will be in Alberta!, followed a couple decades later by the corn belt. Does that mean we should plan on buying our 75th anniversary Boss in Edmonton? Sheesh! There'll probably be a :censored: LonelyStar Ford in Alberta by then and you know what that means! :hysterical::)

<ok, a little humor there, rat :doh: >

Archived