TEAM SHELBY FORUM

newbie tuner question

VEGASTY

ok guys i love my car now that i finally got it back from the dealer, but will be first to admit majority of you if not all, run circles around me when it comes to mechanical knowledge and i have learned alot from you all, so NO laughing at my questions :0.

i am considering getting the Steeda Intake Elbow but steeda says "They dont require a retune if you are running a Steeda or FRPP intake with Steeda tuning. If you are running FRPP's tune then it will require retuning."

can someone explain to me exactly what is retune? and what is involved with doing it and while i am at it regardless of the intake elbow what is the plus side of people signing up for the group purchase SCT Tuning From Brenspeed for their sgt's

thanks

ok guys i love my car now that i finally got it back from the dealer, but will be first to admit majority of you if not all, run circles around me when it comes to mechanical knowledge and i have learned alot from you all, so NO laughing at my questions :0.

i am considering getting the Steeda Intake Elbow but steeda says "They dont require a retune if you are running a Steeda or FRPP intake with Steeda tuning. If you are running FRPP's tune then it will require retuning."

can someone explain to me exactly what is retune? and what is involved with doing it and while i am at it regardless of the intake elbow what is the plus side of people signing up for the group purchase SCT Tuning From Brenspeed for their sgt's

thanks

The Steeda and FRPP intakes adjust the MAS of the car. If altering the diameter or location of the MAS you MUST retune the engine as the Mustang is very sensitive to incoming air. Since all you're doing is swapping the elbow the MAS never changes and the computer does not need to be retuned.

Heck, from what I have been researching about the new Mustang design if you just fa*t in your car you have to retune.....

thanks

Vegasty,

More generically, the "retune" term usually refers to adjustment/recalibration of some or all of the running parameters that are controlled by the engines computer (referred to as theECU or PCM ).the common adjustments are air/fuel ratios, idle, temp actuated parameters, rpm limits, shift points for autos, etc. These adjustments can be made by one of several after market handheld programmers (such as the Diablo Predator, or SCT units) that are plugged into the cars OBC port (on board computer). Hope this overview answers the question. As noted, MAS (mass air sensor) changes can require recalibration, but I doubt if a steeda elbo does (just my guess )

Brenspeed told me that the steeda elbow did not need a retune as it is made to work with our cai.

It is mainly for looks, but it does add power. Only because it has smooth inner walls, the purpose of the ugly elbow we have is to eliminate noise, not for performance. you can add the elbow before or after tune.

Brenspeed told me that the steeda elbow did not need a retune as it is made to work with our cai.

It is mainly for looks, but it does add power. Only because it has smooth inner walls, the purpose of the ugly elbow we have is to eliminate noise, not for performance. you can add the elbow before or after tune.

DRHVAC has it straight from the horses mouth.

That's the elbow answer I would go with Vegasty

I agree !!!!!! evryone who has already put the elbo on has said that they did not need to retune !!!!!!!

the elbow will be next for me after the group tuner , just had flowmasters (40's origanals) installed yesturday that was inspired by Ed and his video !!!!!!!!! they sound great and didnt need to retune !!!!!! Thnx again Ed!!! :D

DRHVAC has it straight from the horses mouth.

That's the elbow answer I would go with Vegasty

Thanks everyone for the insight :0

I agree !!!!!! evryone who has already put the elbo on has said that they did not need to retune !!!!!!!

the elbow will be next for me after the group tuner , just had flowmasters (40's origanals) installed yesturday that was inspired by Ed and his video !!!!!!!!! they sound great and didnt need to retune !!!!!! Thnx again Ed!!! :D

this was on the steeda site, but sounds like from others its not really needed

Note: Will work with FRPP intakes but will require retuning if using FRPP's tune with one of our SCT tuners. Shelby GT and GT-H cars are equipped with FRPP intakes. Will require retune with SCT tuner for these vehicles.

Vegas, are you thinking of getting the Brentspeed tune as well or just the elbow?

yes if everything is as easy as it sounds, if not socaljafo will have to help me :), does the whole thing come with newbie instructions?

i had my side mirrors painted balck, looks awesome, only cost $80ea

yes if everything is as easy as it sounds, if not socaljafo will have to help me :), does the whole thing come with newbie instructions?

i had my side mirrors painted balck, looks awesome, only cost $80ea

How about a picture of the painted mirrors? Would love to see.

Thanks..Joe

The XCAL2 tuner from Brenspeed comes with newbie instructions. I am also "technically challenged" at times and was amazed how easy it went. See below for a video from Brenspeed about how it works--it really is that easy!

http://www.brenspeed.com/tech/loadingtunes.wmv

btw, love the mirrors.

The XCAL2 tuner from Brenspeed comes with newbie instructions. I am also "technically challenged" at times and was amazed how easy it went. See below for a video from Brenspeed about how it works--it really is that easy!

http://www.brenspeed.com/tech/loadingtunes.wmv

btw, love the mirrors.

THANKS, that looks easy enough i may just have my 4yr old do it while i wash the car :), thanks socal for the mirror pics save me the time taking them ,

TY

I think they are a huge improvement on the black cars and probably on the blue and orange cars. The white I am not sure how well it will look in the overall picture.

download1475.jpg

download476.jpg

+1. They look so much more classier with them painted, it just finishes the car. I am getting mine done for sure now. B)

That's an odd reason for Shelby to leave it on our cars...I mean, why wouldn't we want more noise?? :lol:

Archived