TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CAR WASH

herpony68

Has anyone been through an actual car wash (instead of hand wash) with the car? I now this sounds stupid but I am afraid of the hood pin wires coming out and the pins getting dragged all along the car and scratching the paint. Any ideas? My husband suggested taking the pins out and tucking them in the engine compartment and closing the hood, then after the wash pulling them back out.

I have a SGT. In my paper work / warranty papers from Shelby it states that Automatic Car washes with tracks and automated devices are not to be used. This warning from Shelby address issues with hood pins, and most interesting the clearance of the car over all and especially the front facia. Certainly there will be those people who will tell you they have done it with no problems. I don't doubt that they have, however I am also certain that Shelby states this because they can't account or guarantee that every automatic wash is created equal. Thus it becomes a wash at your own risk situation.

It's a chance I personally have elected not to take. I refuse to put risk to my 40k car for the sake of a little conveinence. the manual says to hand wash and hand dry the car and that only a touchless had wand car wash is recommended. I have a 2006 V6 Pony I drive as my daily driver. It has 3 spoke knockoff hubs. I have an automatic car wash up the street where I take it. The brushes always wrap themsleves on those knock offs and pulls them right the hubs. It's no bid deal on that car becuase they snap back on. However, whenever one goes flying off the car I think... WOW! that could have been my hodd pin on the SGT! Glad I wash it by hand!

Welcome to Shelby ownership! It's worth the extra work!

Has anyone been through an actual car wash (instead of hand wash) with the car? I now this sounds stupid but I am afraid of the hood pin wires coming out and the pins getting dragged all along the car and scratching the paint. Any ideas? My husband suggested taking the pins out and tucking them in the engine compartment and closing the hood, then after the wash pulling them back out.

I own two limited equitment car washes in NY .TUCK the pins under hood ,and have the attendant check clearance of track when he pulls in to track !! Other that that ITS BLACK AS YOU NO . WAX THE CAR AFTER THE WASH or im sure your car wash will be happy to do it for you . I have no problem putting mine thru ! WHEN ITS DIRTY !! Oh by the way it should not get dirty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Shelby GT,And even when I hand washed it I noticed that if you are not careful around the stripe corners,You can botch them up pretty easy!I would suggest no high pressure,Or automatic car wash as the stripes are very fragile,And surely about the same quality as the SGT,So be careful!Side stripes seem of better quality than over the top ones.Just my 2 cents!And experience!

Stripes are delicate and black is tough to keep clean. SGT 4305 does not go through a touchless car wash, or an automatic car with brushes.

Recently I received many compliments on the Shelby thanks to forum posts about the Cali duster and the Kozak rag.

My 0.02 dollars about hand washing a car at the self-serve wash

* Do not use the foaming brush. Who knows what abrasive particle such as sand lurks in the bristles.

* Do not use a sponge to soap the car (noticed scratches on the hood). I now use a bucket of soapy water and a wash mitt made of microfiber (looks like sheeps wool). Buy an extra bucket to sit yer but on while soaping the lower ground effects.

* Keep off the stripes when the tip of the high pressure wand is within a few inches of the stripes. I will spray the stripes with the high pressure wand only after walking the hose as far away from the car as possible.

I do spray the stripes when set to low pressure-spot free rinse. Even then, spray perpendicular to the stripe, not at a 45 degree angle (don't want water to get under the stripe). The tip of the wand is bendable at some of the new self-serve car washes.

* Drive out of the bay

* Dry using the 'Absorber'

* Get a chili dog and cherry limeade at Sonic, then go for a ride

• 3 months later...

This is your baby, would you send your baby threw a car wash?......................NO.......hand wash only, and do it with love! :hysterical:

Helaina, its definately more of a stripe concern issue. I think the hood pins would be fine, but the stripes would suffer, not to mention the brittle attachment of those S H E L B Y letters on the trunk.

sorry, no cutting corners here. use hot/warm water from inside the house so your hands dont freeze.

Archived