TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Remove side scoop?

1965coupe

My passenger side scoop has never been completely adhered to the car.. The double-sided tape did not stick very well from the factory...

Rather than go the dealership route (they CANNOT "re-tape" the scoop, they have to order another, and paint it :o ), I bought some 3M tape and some wax/grease remover spray...

So, since the scoop is already hanging off about halfway, can I just finish pulling it off? I know there are two plastic "pins" that are still holding it on..

Any other advice?? <_<

Thanks.

My passenger side scoop has never been completely adhered to the car.. The double-sided tape did not stick very well from the factory...

Rather than go the dealership route (they CANNOT "re-tape" the scoop, they have to order another, and paint it :o ), I bought some 3M tape and some wax/grease remover spray...

So, since the scoop is already hanging off about halfway, can I just finish pulling it off? I know there are two plastic "pins" that are still holding it on..

Any other advice?? <_<

Thanks.

I thought that the side scoops were fastened with good old bolts? At least they are on the GT/CS, which I thought are the same scoops used on the Helby GT.

I think you may need to remove the interior pannel, I'm not sure though, some just pop right out. You would need to get new pins when you reattach. You should not have any major issue. Unless they are bolted from the inside. Even a compitent body shop should be able to help you for little $ and little time.

I think you may need to remove the interior pannel, I'm not sure though, some just pop right out. You would need to get new pins when you reattach. You should not have any major issue. Unless they are bolted from the inside. Even a compitent body shop should be able to help you for little $ and little time.

Oh, the whole point of me fixing the scoop myself is to avoid letting anyone touch/drive my car...

I've had two bad experiences already- when i got the alarm installed, the fat-$$ leaned all over the front fender, and when i got the windows tinted, they scratched the heck out of the rear-quarter panels...

I'm gonna call my buddy who works in the bodyshop at the local Ford dealer... he should know.. although they probably haven't worked on too many California Specials...

Oh, the whole point of me fixing the scoop myself is to avoid letting anyone touch/drive my car...

I've had two bad experiences already- when i got the alarm installed, the fat-$$ leaned all over the front fender, and when i got the windows tinted, they scratched the heck out of the rear-quarter panels...

I'm gonna call my buddy who works in the bodyshop at the local Ford dealer... he should know.. although they probably haven't worked on too many California Specials...

i hate fat mechanics <_<

was u able to buff out the scratches on your rear quarter panels?

Here is a picture of the scoop used on the Shelby GT. It is attached by 2 pins and 3M tape.

Because the scoop on my car is not 100% attached, I am able to see the pins without pulling the scoop completely off..

I'm just wondering though, can the scoop be pulled off completely from the outside, or do I need to go in from the inside of the car to undo the pins?

Basically, are those pins pop-in/pop-out, or do they have some other way of being attaced to the car???

i hate fat mechanics <_<

was u able to buff out the scratches on your rear quarter panels?

Yep. The buffer and 3M compound fixed everything...

Archived