TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Dakota

stump_breaker

"the 318 cubic inch (5.2 liter) fuel injected Shelby Dakota, boasts 175 hp and 270 pound-feet of torque and sells for under $16,000"

"I work in a auto shop and my engine started knocking so I took it out and stripped it. It had aluminum flat top pistons, double roller timing chain, roller lifters, and mild cam"

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodge/shelby-dakota.html

I wonder what ADM was back then?

EDIT 1.0: Hmmm only 1500 made yet this guy has 1564? http://www.moparchat.com/forums/archive/in...hp?t-68574.html

Another one for sale - 7500

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/archive/in...hp?t-88415.html

A Shelby Durango?

clicky

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z828/default.aspx

Didn't they do a Dodge Daytona 4 banger?, Thats the one I'd deny doing if I was CS.

What is with all the Shelby Dodge bashing? Just remember Lee and Carroll started this whole thing at Ford. And when Ford cast them aside, Lee went and saved Chrysler and brought Carroll over to add performance to the brand. The Shelby Chargers, GLHS', Shelby Daytona, Shelby Durango, Shelby Shadow CSX, Shelby Lancer, the VNT cars, and the Viper, all GREAT CARS!

It's funny that during the 80's and early 90's all we had from GM was a Corvette, Grand National, and from Ford the Mustang GT. I think Lee and Carroll did one hell of a job at Chrysler.

My first brand new car was a 86 Shelby Charger Turbo. The car is still in mint condition and I am so glad I have kept it all of these years. This car was so much fun back then. My first Indy 500 was in 91, and I went just to see Carroll drive the Viper pace car. I subsequently bought my 93 Viper, which was signed by Carroll. I am also proud to have my #444 Shelby GT.

The Shelby Dodge owners are very proud of their vehicles and their legacy. Just check out some of the Shelby Dodge websites. Please give them the respect they deserve. Now I can get off my horse..

What is with all the Shelby Dodge bashing? Just remember Lee and Carroll started this whole thing at Ford. And when Ford cast them aside, Lee went and saved Chrysler and brought Carroll over to add performance to the brand. The Shelby Chargers, GLHS', Shelby Daytona, Shelby Durango, Shelby Shadow CSX, Shelby Lancer, the VNT cars, and the Viper, all GREAT CARS!

It's funny that during the 80's and early 90's all we had from GM was a Corvette, Grand National, and from Ford the Mustang GT. I think Lee and Carroll did one hell of a job at Chrysler.

My first brand new car was a 86 Shelby Charger Turbo. The car is still in mint condition and I am so glad I have kept it all of these years. This car was so much fun back then. My first Indy 500 was in 91, and I went just to see Carroll drive the Viper pace car. I subsequently bought my 93 Viper, which was signed by Carroll. I am also proud to have my #444 Shelby GT.

The Shelby Dodge owners are very proud of their vehicles and their legacy. Just check out some of the Shelby Dodge websites. Please give them the respect they deserve. Now I can get off my horse..

I think the deal with the Dodge bashing is that it is such a contrast from the sports cars CS is usually associated. I mean come on the Shadow? The Lancer? It's kind of funny. Of course once CS got through with them they were beyond what they originally started to be but unfortunately the cars still had the stigma. I was actually thinking of bidding on the truck. I just wish I knew what the reserve was. My wife walked in and said "what the heck is that?" She laughed a little and then said "I'd drive it!".....

I think it's just the initial shock and then you remember it's still a Shelby.

OK,We'll change our tune!To each his own!

I still own GLHS Charger 187 with 4000 miles on it the car is quick in fact in the late 80 I used to take car to Road America Shelby meets with my 67 Shelby they did not allow that too long it seems they did not like a 4 banger Dodge beating thier Shelby Mustangs most of them could not keep up with me in turns, I tuored the Shelby factory in 87 and it is the same as today making good cars better now my Shelby will give the GLHS a run but the Dodge is 20 years old.

Q: "I miss the Dodge years."

A: WHY? I am glad he is back with the Ford Mustang now!

The new cars are certainly bringing in revenue. But the engineering is totally Ford with only some styling cues from Shelby. I do like the Shelby GT but it does not get me excited.

The Dodge years had real Shelby engineering and design. Iacocca hired Shelby to engineer high performance from a platform designed for economy. In this regard, the Shelby Dodge cars were highly innovative and unique. Only the turbo Buicks were any threat (in a straight line, that is). Camaros and Mustangs were easily embarrased.

I wish Shelby would do something like that again. The Focus would be a good platform. Build a car that embarrases overweight V8's and still get 30 mpg. With premium at $3/gal, it makes a lot of sense.

robin

He loves his Omni GLHS. I heard that 001 was left stock, but that he has a second one that he put the head from a Spirt RT on it. And that one he likes to drive.
I don't know if Carroll owns two Omni GLH-S cars. He does have both #1 cars of the Omni and Charger GLH-S. Both are heavily modified and each have the 16 valve Hans Herman head. I have heard estimates of over 400 hp on these two cars.

robin

I still own GLHS Charger 187 with 4000 miles on it the car is quick in fact in the late 80 I used to take car to Road America Shelby meets with my 67 Shelby they did not allow that too long it seems they did not like a 4 banger Dodge beating thier Shelby Mustangs most of them could not keep up with me in turns, I tuored the Shelby factory in 87 and it is the same as today making good cars better now my Shelby will give the GLHS a run but the Dodge is 20 years old.

Most if not all cars from the 80's are not looked kindly on today. That was a time most people would like to forget when it came to performance cars. So why would Dodge be any different ? I lost respect for Shelby for getting involved with Dodge back in the 80's. That is the way i felt back then , i owned a Shelby GT350 at the time. When he moved over to Dodge it was like switching sides . I have never been a Mopar fan.

Most if not all cars from the 80's are not looked kindly on today. That was a time most people would like to forget when it came to performance cars. So why would Dodge be any different ? I lost respect for Shelby for getting involved with Dodge back in the 80's. That is the way i felt back then , i owned a Shelby GT350 at the time. When he moved over to Dodge it was like switching sides . I have never been a Mopar fan.

I grew up as a Chevy/Ford man. That's not to say I'm not fond of Mopar,as my cousins loved Mopars. 1 of my cousins was in love with the 383's at the time,(and this going back over 20 years) and loved rebuilding em,and pumpin em up. He would increase the stroke,port and polish stuff himself.....and the real kicker was,it was cheaper for him to do it with that block,verses a Chevy 350. And at the time,with his setup in a boat of a car lol...he was runnin in the low elevens.

I currently own a Dodge,it's a truck with the 5.7 hemi heads. It's great for my needs as it has mid/high end torque,and has been trub free,with a tad over 40,000 miles on it.

And I agree,most of the late seventys and eighties cars were chit lol. Drove a few big blocks during that time,but my daily driver was a Toyota,which ironically,had hemi heads. Even had a "federal" dual point setup,which I modified :)

Archived