TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aluminium Driveshaft

Mustang Lover

I just got off the phone with David at Brenspeed , they are testing a direct bolt on 4" aluminium driveshaft that will fit our cars . David said most of the ones out their now are not a direct bolt on and theirs will be . The price is going to be a little higher ( in the $729.00 -$739.00) but man to drop 20 lbs of rotational mass will free up a lot of ponies .

My tune is schedule to be shipped out Monday , and I recieved my Shelby hood pins yesterday , I will post up the pics as soon as I get them installed , they look really sweet though .

Also, I think there is also a concern about our exhaust systems having enough clearance from the driveshaft, so 3.5" would have an advantage there also. Hopefully Brenspeed is testing its product against the Ford Racing exhaust system we have also.

Check the different forums on SN197 Drive shafts. You should be looking at a 3 1/2" one piece. Floor pan issues under load on some of the 4" shafts. Not that I know, just what I have read.

+1 I've also been checking into the one piece and read some where, that someone had a 4 inch one piece and had issues with adults in back seat, it would rub when going over small bumps. Not that adults would want to sit in the back seat of a Mustang, if I'm driving the seat is back all the way. When I make the switch, I don't want to spend money on something might make an annoying noise. So I'll wait for a while for you guys to get them in and wait for feed back.

Dave

+1 I've also been checking into the one piece and read some where, that someone had a 4 inch one piece and had issues with adults in back seat, it would rub when going over small bumps. Not that adults would want to sit in the back seat of a Mustang, if I'm driving the seat is back all the way. When I make the switch, I don't want to spend money on something might make an annoying noise. So I'll wait for a while for you guys to get them in and wait for feed back.

Dave

I guess I'll wait and see what Brenspeed comes up with .

Dave

Dave, I'll let you know which one I install when I do the mod over the winter. I'm leaning to a Steel 3 1/2". Still a significant weight reduction on rotating mass and durable to 900 RWHP. No clearance issues and no modification of brackets etc. simple bolt in installation. Steel for the torque of the Whipple and a sense of security for reduced chance of faliure under load.

Dave, I'll let you know which one I install when I do the mod over the winter. I'm leaning to a Steel 3 1/2". Still a significant weight reduction on rotating mass and durable to 900 RWHP. No clearance issues and no modification of brackets etc. simple bolt in installation. Steel for the torque of the Whipple and a sense of security for reduced chance of faliure under load.

Has anyone checked on the carbon fiber shafts?

Yeah, I was just looking at one.

I retract my question.

Plus they recommend a new pinion flange with this disclaimer

NOTE: Rear pinion flange requires professional installation. Improper installation of yoke can result in gear whine and premature gear wear.

Looking at a cool $1K +

Do a search on the forum for "Coast Driveline" back in the August timeframe. Longish discussion on aluminum driveshafts. I'm not sure what Brenspeed means by "not direct bolt on" but I can assure you that all I did was unbolt and bolt this past weekend. Just finished installing a Coast Driveline 4" aluminum driveshaft. The Coast product is very well made and the difference in weight when you take the old one out and heft it vs the new one is amazing!

Cost about $600 with shipping. They make a slightly more expensive one if you have or plan to have extensive (read lots of HP) mods. I'm not. Just Al driveshaft and eventually Al flywheel to let it spin more freely. Keep the engine stock.

All I had to do was shift the e-brake cable slightly. They do recommend an adjustable upper control arm to help get the correct pinion angle when you are all done.

Todd

CSM1638

Do a search on the forum for "Coast Driveline" back in the August timeframe. Longish discussion on aluminum driveshafts. I'm not sure what Brenspeed means by "not direct bolt on" but I can assure you that all I did was unbolt and bolt this past weekend. Just finished installing a Coast Driveline 4" aluminum driveshaft. The Coast product is very well made and the difference in weight when you take the old one out and heft it vs the new one is amazing!

Cost about $600 with shipping. They make a slightly more expensive one if you have or plan to have extensive (read lots of HP) mods. I'm not. Just Al driveshaft and eventually Al flywheel to let it spin more freely. Keep the engine stock.

All I had to do was shift the e-brake cable slightly. They do recommend an adjustable upper control arm to help get the correct pinion angle when you are all done.

Todd

CSM1638

What was your impression of the performance issue here. Was it worth the money?

What was your impression of the performance issue here. Was it worth the money?

Seat of the Pants...a little snappier, feels freerer(sp?) reving. I did not dyno before/after. I mainly did it to trim some weight and for the reported HP gain at the rear wheels. YMMV

Todd

Archived