TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why all the fuss!

07SHELBY GT

Being new here I don't want to make anyone mad but that is inevitable!I have made mine a daily driver,I bought it to enjoy,seems like a lot of buyers remorse about the 19hp over a stock GT issue,among some other valid build quality complaints!Surely some of us took a test drive in one before we bought it!I realize some early purchasers did not get that oppotunity!You probably should have at least driven a 3:55 5 SPEED GT,power wise it's close,handling wise no comparison.And for the folks that have Barrett-Jackson on the brain,Please realize that back in the day,these cars were not babied,they were driven and raced,which cleared quite a few off the road fast!So in 20 years,if most of you garage queen these things and most are still around,auction values will not be as high as you hope!And as far as shipping cars back to Shelby for documented work,who cares,work on it your self,have some fun,drive these things,attend a track day and see where they really shine.I FIND IT HARD TO FEEL SORRY FOR THE FOLKS WHO BOUGHT THESE FOR INVESTMENT ONLY!Wake up,and start driving these things,enjoy your money now!And any mod that is done,can usually be undone,My first mods were a C+l racer cold air intake,diablosport canned tune and Flowmaster American Thunder axle back,It's just a car and it's a whole lot more fun to drive than to look at,even though mine is white with silver stripes and I think it's sexy!In my town,Nashville TN,I have seen plenty of these on dealer lots,yet mine is the only one I have seen on the road!Yet I've seen quite a few GT500 models!Sorry so long,lets just drive em',and have some fun!!!!

I got to test drive mine before I bought it. Of course that was after they had my financial information, credit history, name of my first born etc..They let me drive it, with a salesman, for 2 whole miles. I knew it was mine as soon as I hit second gear..LOL

Mine is a daily driver too. Except I am reluctant to park Sherby at the airport, grocery store, movie theater, or any parking lot for an extended periiod of time, say more than 15 minutes.

Here in Houston, I am afraid that somebody else would love to make my SGT their daily driver.

My neighbors still look at me like I've lost my marbles. F~(#'em.

:) Hey, you bought it, you drive it like you want too! If you want it for an investment(low miles) then thats fine, if you bought it to drive it that's great too! No fuss, just the facts!

+1 I'm driving mine and enjoying the hell out of it. If I only brought mine out on suuny days I wouldn't get much use out of it in the Northwest.

If this car is all about nastalgia which I think it is, you have to look at what came before. The first GT350's came with a 289 HiPo with some minor engine mods taking the standard HiPo from 271 hp to 306 hp pretty <bleep> similar to the gains on our cars. The truth is we are living in an incredible time right now, the horsepower wars are taking all the cars to incredible new heights. You don't have to go very far back in time maybe a couple years and you'll find that 320 hp was ton.

:) Hey, you bought it, you drive it like you want too! If you want it for an investment(low miles) then thats fine, if you bought it to drive it that's great too! No fuss, just the facts!

What he said! :)

+1 I'm driving mine and enjoying the hell out of it. If I only brought mine out on suuny days I wouldn't get much use out of it in the Northwest.

If this car is all about nastalgia which I think it is, you have to look at what came before. The first GT350's came with a 289 HiPo with some minor engine mods taking the standard HiPo from 271 hp to 306 hp pretty <bleep> similar to the gains on our cars. The truth is we are living in an incredible time right now, the horsepower wars are taking all the cars to incredible new heights. You don't have to go very far back in time maybe a couple years and you'll find that 320 hp was ton.

What he said too! :)

Being new here I don't want to make anyone mad but that is inevitable!I have made mine a daily driver,I bought it to enjoy,seems like a lot of buyers remorse about the 19hp over a stock GT issue,among some other valid build quality complaints!Surely some of us took a test drive in one before we bought it!I realize some early purchasers did not get that oppotunity!You probably should have at least driven a 3:55 5 SPEED GT,power wise it's close,handling wise no comparison.And for the folks that have Barrett-Jackson on the brain,Please realize that back in the day,these cars were not babied,they were driven and raced,which cleared quite a few off the road fast!So in 20 years,if most of you garage queen these things and most are still around,auction values will not be as high as you hope!And as far as shipping cars back to Shelby for documented work,who cares,work on it your self,have some fun,drive these things,attend a track day and see where they really shine.I FIND IT HARD TO FEEL SORRY FOR THE FOLKS WHO BOUGHT THESE FOR INVESTMENT ONLY!Wake up,and start driving these things,enjoy your money now!And any mod that is done,can usually be undone,My first mods were a C+l racer cold air intake,diablosport canned tune and Flowmaster American Thunder axle back,It's just a car and it's a whole lot more fun to drive than to look at,even though mine is white with silver stripes and I think it's sexy!In my town,Nashville TN,I have seen plenty of these on dealer lots,yet mine is the only one I have seen on the road!Yet I've seen quite a few GT500 models!Sorry so long,lets just drive em',and have some fun!!!!

Glad to see another Tennessean on here. I'm in Pulaski, about 75 miles down I-65 from you. We have 3 SGT's on the road here. One is a daily driver, another is a garage queen and mine is a part time driver. I have a truck to drive most of the time but whenever I get a chance I put the Shelby on the road. I've already made several trips to Nashville and to Huntsville AL since I've had it. Who knows, maybe we'll meet on the road somewhere.

Driving mine a lot more than I thought I would have originally. I was going to be one of those trailer queens but I love driving the car way too much. I am still getting the trailer as I live in New England and still plan to use the garage for my truck in the winter months. But I also plan on getting a helmet and racing mine on the quarter mile track too. Already have the fire extinguisher, tach light and am getting the line lock soon.

Can anyone recommend a good helmet to get?

You have to keep these posts in perspective. There are nearly 6000 SGT out there but like most things, there is always a vocal minority...this site is no different. I'm not saying they don't a have a legitimate complain once in awhile but the +19hp is one I never have understood. SAI, or other aftermarket suppliers, are more than willing to take some ones $$$ if they want more hp. This car is about balance. I love the SGT S/C but once you add the S/C, then big brakes, then the big wheels, the gauge package, etc, etc. Well you get the idea. I for one are happy they didn't price this car out of reach of many of us.

but....

I got to disagree on the investment part...I did buy this car as an investment...but not in the way you think. I'm 45....what good is it for me to hold on to it for some possible "cash-in" in 30 years?? I bought the car an investment in my happiness, and so far the car has not disappointed me one bit. I know no car can really buy true happiness, but this one comes pretty close. So the way I think of it is that the more you drive it, the better the dividends will be paid....paid back in miles and smiles. :D And who knows, all those smiles could extend our lifes longer. Doesn't sound like a bad investment to me. Enjoy your cars....but as we have seen by some recent post...do it safely.

Eh wrong! The original GT's came stock with 225 hp. The GT K Model came with a solid lifter/cam with 271 HP, THEN the Shelby Gt 350 @ 306 HP. So you are way off, 81 HP off. Look these cars are nice and fun to drive but they are NOT even close to an original Shelby GT 350. This car was brought to production for a monetary ZAP and production lift on the Mustang, nothing more and nothing less. So as long as we all realize this is not the car of yesteryear, but it is a new version of a Fords dollar bill that took us Mustang freaks by storm. A nice car, yes. A fast car, no. B)

Eh wrong! The original GT's came stock with 225 hp. The GT K Model came with a solid lifter/cam with 271 HP, THEN the Shelby Gt 350 @ 306 HP. So you are way off, 81 HP off. Look these cars are nice and fun to drive but they are NOT even close to an original Shelby GT 350. This car was brought to production for a monetary ZAP and production lift on the Mustang, nothing more and nothing less. So as long as we all realize this is not the car of yesteryear, but it is a new version of a Fords dollar bill that took us Mustang freaks by storm. A nice car, yes. A fast car, no. B)

Swede,

Read his post a little closer, he clearly states that the GT350 started with a HiPo 289 and it got tweaked from there. Also I think the K code engine was standard in all GTs and an option in regular Mustangs for the 65 model year.

Well, not all of us geto to test drive'em. Therare are actually 6 ( I found another one over the weekend) within 50 miles of me and not a one of the dealerships will let you test drive any of the cars.

Having said that I think the SGT has PLENTY of power (for going to the grocery store) :lol:

Stump...i think you are related to my husband.....he uses that same avatar now and then !! :blink: :unsure:

Looking at this another way, our Shelby GT's are faster than the old GT 350's were. "Fast car" is a relative term. I believe our cars are fast. They are not the "fastest" however. The "fastest" cars cost much more money. Our Shelby GT's may be even faster than the old GT 500's were. I need to look that up. Are you saying those weren't fast cars? Even the new GT 500 is only 1/2 second faster from 0-60 based on road tests I've read - not a big deal in my mind.

I didn't want to ruffle any feathers with my post.If you want to store your car for 20 yrs and try the auction route,I'm OK with that,it is YOUR car!But,you are missing out on all the memories you could be making,which in turn might make the car priceless and not for future sale!Modding again is personal preference,A better cold air set up and tuner will cost you about 600$,and believe me,the difference will be noticable!!As it has been said these cars are all about BALANCE!The suspension on these cars inspire more confidence than my 07 Vette did,although it had the base suspension and may have actually handled better,it did not inspire me to corner it hard!That all being said I still believe this car even in stock form,is a pretty good car!Getting it modified yourself instead of sending it back to the creator will save you tons of cash!If you really want to see what it's made of,even with 319 horsepower,take it to track day!Better yet go to a driving school and learn to use what you already have before you start ripping on it's lack of power!If you bought this car strictly to drag race,you overpaid for things like suspension not specifically tuned for drag racing,THE SHELBY NAME,Etc.And yes I honestly think a little more power would have been nice,but I drove it before I bought it so I knew that it felt like it does.I wonder what the quarter mile time were on the original Shelby 289 Mustangs,bet they were slower than 13.50!I'll bet this is the most well balanced mustang produced in a long,long time!Sorry about the repost,I KNOW SOME OF YOU ARE WITH ME AND SOME OF YOU ARE NOT!That's alright with me,but please enjoy your cars,however you feel best,because who knows what tomorrow will hold for you!Peace!

I got to test drive mine before I bought it. Of course that was after they had my financial information, credit history, name of my first born etc..They let me drive it, with a salesman, for 2 whole miles. I knew it was mine as soon as I hit second gear..LOL

when i test drove mine they just made a copy of my DL and the sales rep went with me and i drove it 3 miles...but it was raining <_<

mine is a daily driver...i been tryin to practice double clutching and single clutch rev matching while downshifting but i've given up...tryin to rev that v8 just feels unatural ...like it lags or somethin...its not like reving a bike or a 4 cylinder car....i guess i'm not releasing the clutch at the right time....i decided to just granny shift when i downshift...put in neutral and apply brake and then downshift when speed it right.

i dont know.

Looking at this another way, our Shelby GT's are faster than the old GT 350's were. "Fast car" is a relative term. I believe our cars are fast. They are not the "fastest" however. The "fastest" cars cost much more money. Our Shelby GT's may be even faster than the old GT 500's were. I need to look that up. Are you saying those weren't fast cars? Even the new GT 500 is only 1/2 second faster from 0-60 based on road tests I've read - not a big deal in my mind.

Check out the old road test and you are right on the money. These cars are faster than ANY mustang made before 1971 period.NO 428 SCJ, boss429 or boss 351.The 2007 6cyl mustang would give a 65 mustang A code a run for it's money. The K code was a option for the mustang GT . Most mustang GT's came with the A code 225 hp engine. The Shelby back in 1965 was created to increase sales of the standard mustang just like today. The shelby GT 350 R was created to beat the Corvette in the SCCA , which it DID!!!The FORD racing div. created most of the hardware found on our current Shelby's . They won the Grand-am championship with the 05 mustang just like Shelby did in 1965.Stop me before i get to long on my 2cent.

Well I suppose you could say that the GT Shelby comparison wasn't good but if you put Fords best optioned mustang against the Shelby there was a 35 hp difference. Today if you put fords best option against the Shelby you get very similar numbers. The numbers can be very deceptive, if you look at the numbers you might conclude that the GT350 of yesteryear would be competitive with the modern version, but its not remotely in the ballgame. Our cars will stomp even the big dogs GT500 Boss 429 Hemi cars you name it. We can out run out stop out handle them all and do it with a more refined level of creature comforts and get better mileage doing it. B)

I didn't want to ruffle any feathers with my post.If you want to store your car for 20 yrs and try the auction route,I'm OK with that,it is YOUR car!But,you are missing out on all the memories you could be making,which in turn might make the car priceless and not for future sale!Modding again is personal preference,A better cold air set up and tuner will cost you about 600$,and believe me,the difference will be noticable!!As it has been said these cars are all about BALANCE!The suspension on these cars inspire more confidence than my 07 Vette did,although it had the base suspension and may have actually handled better,it did not inspire me to corner it hard!That all being said I still believe this car even in stock form,is a pretty good car!Getting it modified yourself instead of sending it back to the creator will save you tons of cash!If you really want to see what it's made of,even with 319 horsepower,take it to track day!Better yet go to a driving school and learn to use what you already have before you start ripping on it's lack of power!If you bought this car strictly to drag race,you overpaid for things like suspension not specifically tuned for drag racing,THE SHELBY NAME,Etc.And yes I honestly think a little more power would have been nice,but I drove it before I bought it so I knew that it felt like it does.I wonder what the quarter mile time were on the original Shelby 289 Mustangs,bet they were slower than 13.50!I'll bet this is the most well balanced mustang produced in a long,long time!Sorry about the repost,I KNOW SOME OF YOU ARE WITH ME AND SOME OF YOU ARE NOT!That's alright with me,but please enjoy your cars,however you feel best,because who knows what tomorrow will hold for you!Peace!

Cool post they do great burnouts too eh?

Archived