TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Jacking Up a SGT

clark17357

While I wait for my car to be done, I have time to think about "things." One "thing" is the fact that our cars do not come with a spare tire and, presumably, do not come with jacks (those of you who already have your cars, jump in at this point). I am not going to drive my car every day and I am not going to drive it without a spare tire. Given that I am getting 20" rims and tires, I will get from SAI my stock tires and rims. That means I can put one of them in the truck and have a spare. But I have heard that the car is so low to the ground that, when you add a flat tire, there is no way to get a traditional jack underneath it to raise it to change the flat. My plan is to get an exhaust powered inflatable jack that needs about 1" of clearance to insert and then inflate. An example is this item from England: http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/3...ack/pid/3860507 What is the view out there about not having a spare? What are the rest of you doing? I do not like the thought of a tow truck, any tow truck, touching my car (SoCal, what was going through your head recently when your car had to be towed?). That is why I want a strategy to deal with this. As always, I look to those of you actually driving these cars for what you have come up with. Thanks. Jim Clark

My view about not having a spare is that it is total BS. OK, we have an inflator with slime, BFD. Lets say you have a flat and can't get over to the shoulder quick enough. It's going to eat up the sidewall and the inflator becomes useless.

Is this a realistic scenario. You bet. It happened to me last weekend in my Hyundai. I was pinned between 18 wheelers and could not get over quick enough. What could have been quick-fixed with a can of fix-a-flat now required a complete change since the sidewall was trashed!

I will be pruchasing a spare for thr SGT.

Now as far as how to jack it up......????

That inflator is pretty cool.

EDIT:

Blueshawk actually bought the spare for his car. Here his post...

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?sho...1&hl=spare+tire

Someone did post a few months ago a low profile jack. Can't remember the specifics but I'm sure a simple search will find it.

I thought about that and they are certainly out there. For example: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ome29023.html My thought was that an inflatable jack can do the job in any conditions, will not harm the underside of your car and, probably, weigh less. Jim ;)

hi i went on line and looked for junk yards in my state first one i called had a new spare tire 17'' out of a 2006 gt 75.00 now all i need is a jack that well work .on the spare i went to dealer with my discount the wheel was 154.00 no tire and a 25.00 core charge , i said no thanks

Clark, ran the scenario through my head many times. The problem is the stock wheels will not fit over brake upgrade on front for sure, not sure on rear if it will clear the rotors. After you look in the trunk there really isn't room for a spare and to put anything else. So the options would be to buy a fifth and tire if you really want a spare that will work all the around with a brake upgrade. Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Dave

Clark

Thanks for the information on the inflatable jack, looks promising. I purchased a new BFG from Tire Rack. They are currently selling them for $77. I found a new Shelby GT rim (black) on Ebay, for $160.00 plus freight. I had my local tire dealer mount for $9. Bought a 4 way lug wrench and low profile floor jack from Walmart, $35.

hi i went on line and looked for junk yards in my state first one i called had a new spare tire 17'' out of a 2006 gt 75.00 now all i need is a jack that well work .on the spare i went to dealer with my discount the wheel was 154.00 no tire and a 25.00 core charge , i said no thanks

The car has 18" wheels all around stock, not 17".

The car has 18" wheels all around stock, not 17".

It will work. The difference in overall diameter is only 3/8" less for the spare and the 17" wheel will clear the stock brakes.

Also, the 17" spare is the same spare that comes with the standard GT with 18" wheels. Ford has only one spare for the GT Mustang. It has to work!

I just had a flat replaced today. Fortunately for me, the flat occurred in my garage. I used a pair of 2 X 4, a shoter one nailed on top of a longer one to make a little ramp. I carefully drove onto the makeshift 3" lift. Then I could get my floor jack under the side of the car and jack it up using the normal jacking point in front of the wheel. Replaced the tire ($60 w/ road hazard) and lowered it back on to the makeshift ramp.

If this occurrs away from home, I will use AAA before I use the slime. Maybe, I'll keep my eye out for a used (read cheap) GT500 or 20" wheel. I could keep it in my garage with a go kit (jack, 2 X 4 ramp, wrench) for my wife.

I just had a flat replaced today. Fortunately for me, the flat occurred in my garage. I used a pair of 2 X 4, a shoter one nailed on top of a longer one to make a little ramp. I carefully drove onto the makeshift 3" lift. Then I could get my floor jack under the side of the car and jack it up using the normal jacking point in front of the wheel. Replaced the tire ($60 w/ road hazard) and lowered it back on to the makeshift ramp.

If this occurrs away from home, I will use AAA before I use the slime. Maybe, I'll keep my eye out for a used (read cheap) GT500 or 20" wheel. I could keep it in my garage with a go kit (jack, 2 X 4 ramp, wrench) for my wife.

Hey, Chris,

You are ending up as the lab rat for the rest of us - first with the scare when your car quit on the freeway and now with the flat. Maybe a new topic: "SoCal's Tips For the Little Disasters in Life with a SGT"? ;) Jim

Run flats get very poor reviews due to noise and premature wear.

Question - Curious as to when the last time was everyone got a flat on this forum? I haven't had one in 30 years.

Guys, remember this. If you mount a spare on the rear, please make sure that both rears are the same diameter. -John

Hi John.

What about the idea of run flats as suggested by DRHVAC? Has SAI tried them? That would be a pretty good combination. Jim

Question - Curious as to when the last time was everyone got a flat on this forum? I haven't had one in 30 years.

jmo but i dont think i know of a high performace tire that does not make noise and has premature wear! do you know of any? seriously, i cant think of any if you know of some please tell. the bfgs on mine make noise

My household (3 cars now) gets at least one nail puncture a year and it is always in the shoulder or sidewall. I would not drive SoCal freeways without road hazard.

Guys, remember this. If you mount a spare on the rear, please make sure that both rears are the same diameter. -John

John,

If the Mustang GT has the 17" spare for the 18" wheels, why would the 17" spare size be a problem for us? I would presume that most everyone would be able to find a replacement tire within 60 miles.

i had 4 flats...3 in the past 2 years. <_< ...luckily not in my SGT yet

--1st flat i was on my way to work... then i heard a 'tic 'tic' 'tic' then i drove faster thinkin it was a piece of gravel stuck in my tred and then the 'tic' stopped, then started hearing a 'hisss' and pulled over.

--2nd time was when i got off work and saw i had a flat in the parking lot and seen i had a screw stuck in it

--3rd time was kinda same cenario as the first only no 'tic' sound, and i was goin to a gas station on my lunch break and went over some train tracks and heard something flyin off tire and dinging against the fender well, and then the imfamous 'hissss' sound, but real slow leak because i made it to gas station and re-aired it and went back to work and changed the flat after work.

--4th time was the biggy: a big chunk of metal which left a 4 inch gash in my tred and was still stuck in my tire.... (and of course i was on my way to work).... changed flat... after work i ordered replacement tire at 1/2 price from the road hazzard warrantee

i been takin a different route to work. the old route is a trucking route and has scrap metal shops, body shops, bolt and screw shops along the whole road.......so....yea...i been goin another way now.

Or you will be going in large diameter circles right John??! ;) I bet you can get a spare rim from the guy that totaled out the SGT! Hopefully there is still a good rim left.

Won't fit in your wheel well!

My Ford standard scissors jack will compress down to 3-3/8". I haven't had a flat yet so I'm not sure it will fit under the car at the jack points. If on the shoulder of the road (dirt) one could dig a little trench with the lug wrench for the jack to fit into under the car. However a short piece of 12x2 in the trunk may be neccessary for pavement.

Socaljafo:

How low does your floor jack go and would a 3-3/8" jack fit under the car with a flat?

My household (3 cars now) gets at least one nail puncture a year and it is always in the shoulder or sidewall. I would not drive SoCal freeways without road hazard.

Wow almost never get a flat here of course I haven't had a car I didn't replace a windshield in for quite sometime lol pick your poison. Rocks and gravel seem to be our downfall.

I should not post this since it will probably jinx me but the last time I recall having a flat tire on a vehicle I drove was when I was in high school and I have been out of there for over 40 years. Now you guys are making me nervous about getting a flat. As I recall we have a five year roadside service on the cars which would be an option. I also have the nitrogen filled tires which also gets you roadside service. Guess I will just roll the dice and not worry about it until I am stuck along the side of the road.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a bolt in one of my tires on I-95 doing 70mph driving my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Thank God it wasn't the SGT. You guys are scaring the crap out of me.

I got a flat 2 months ago in my company car......again, thank God it wasnt the SGT.

I am buying an extra rim and tire......if the car gets a flat at speed and I am lucky enough not to sustain damage to the front end, I am not complicating things by waiting around and having it towed. Only to buy a tire and possibily a rim at 'emergency" prices, rather than the best deal I can make during peace time

Insurance is a great thing, you are smart to have complete coverage and hope you never need to use it, this is no different.

besides the extra weight in the trunk will benefit the ride, as many of us have already discovered.

IMO...we all got schtuped when the spare tire was deleted!

• 3 weeks later...

I have revisited the inflatable air jack now that I have resolved that I will not go to 20" tires. I am buying a spare wheel and tire from Weba so now all I have to do is be able to jack up the car so I can use the spare out on the road.

I just ordered the following inflatable air jack: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...35091_200335091

I will report in on how it works. From my perspective, I would like to use it in the garage, too. If the jack functions as I hope, I will buy the air compressor adaptor.

What are the rest of you who want to carry a spare around going to do about jacking the car up? Jim

Archived