TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SCT Tunes for the Shelby

Mustang Lover

you s/c guys be carefull with tunes and boost, remember these stock mod blocks cant handle much more than 14psi the timing in alot of aftermarket tunes add alot of timing which will cause big problems and those ugly windows in the side of your block in the winter months. i know this from experience, which is the reason the lightning only ran at 12 psi with a moderate tune. also with na or s/c tunes gas in the winter everywhere sucks and the octane rating sometimes varies and will make her go boom

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you s/c guys be carefull with tunes and boost, remember these stock mod blocks cant handle much more than 14psi the timing in alot of aftermarket tunes add alot of timing which will cause big problems and those ugly windows in the side of your block in the winter months. i know this from experience, which is the reason the lightning only ran at 12 psi with a moderate tune. also with na or s/c tunes gas in the winter everywhere sucks and the octane rating sometimes varies and will make her go boom

Bada Boom, Bada Bing! :)

I agree , I have seen reports from 272-280 ish as well . I don't know why he is seeing more but thats what he said . I would like to see some Shelby GT dyno sheets that show a before and after x-cal tune . It looks like to get some bigger gain you need to change out the cam and springs . Brenspeed is saying that even mild cams with springs is good for 30-40 RWHP , now thats a nice gain but its not cheap 999.00 with the springs thats really not a bad price though .

Speaking of cams, Listen to these..................................

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...earch&plindex=1

LOL , sounds cool , but a little too much lob sep for the street and <bleep> did you hear the valve train , My V6 race engine doesn't make that much noise with solid lifters .

LOL :)

That thing was really loping! That thing made so much valve clatter noise that it would drive me nuts (No Pun intended). That was rediculous for a street car. :lol:

Maybe thats the flag ship for the company to promote thier service and such....

LOL :)

That thing was really loping! That thing made so much valve clatter noise that it would drive me nuts (No Pun intended). That was rediculous for a street car. :lol:

Maybe thats the flag ship for the company to promote thier service and such....

I LOVE that cam lope on the car. That's exactly what my 81 Berlinetta sounded like many many years ago - naturally after pulling the v-6 and installing a balanced and blueprinted 350 from a 'Vette.

What's up with that valve noise? Roller rockers and low oil pressure on the hydraulic lifters? :huh:

Do you have to leave it plugged in once you change your car's tune setting?

I am assuming you plug it in, make the change, hit enter, unplug it...and drive

I am going to order one shortly too. I just want more low end torque for quick 0-40 blasts, i like the idea of making the car run richer or leaner etc....

Do you have to leave it plugged in once you change your car's tune setting?

I am assuming you plug it in, make the change, hit enter, unplug it...and drive

I am going to order one shortly too. I just want more low end torque for quick 0-40 blasts, i like the idea of making the car run richer or leaner etc....

Plug it in, follow the screens, install the tune, it will tell you when your done, unplug and have fun................ :)

I see everyone leaning toward the XCal2, but has anyone had experience with the Livewire?

It looks like it would be a cool box to leave plugged in and "installed", since I'm assuming it logs 0-60 times, etc...

Also, does it use the same SCT tune files as the XCal2? I wouldn't wanna buy "the fancy one" and find out no one supports it.

Jer

Here's an update of my process with different tunes for my SGT. Originally, I purchased a STEEDA tune with the SCT tuner. I have under drive pulleys, throttle body spacer, HT-1 plugs and hard CAI elbow, 4.10 gears, 93 octane is available in New England with 10% ethanol. The STEEDA tune really woke up the car's performance. However, there was a small "dead" spot around 2500 rpms that I became aware of as I got used to the car more. but basically, it was worth it.

I decided to try out a Brenspeed tune since so many here have been satisfied. Here are my "seat of the pants dyno" impressions. I kept the tuner with me and switched back and forth several times yesterday on a stretch of road that allows me to test the car the same way each time.

I found the Brenspeed tune eliminated the low rpm dead spot and felt much stronger as the car ramped up in speed. The higher end "pull" feel was about the same as the STEEDA though. 4th and 5th feel the same in the tunes. All in all, for a $75.00 e-mail tune it was worth getting rid of the hesitation in the lower rpms. If I were at a drag track then that alone would help get lower ETs. I believe they (Brenspeed) worked out the hesitation by fixing the "throttle by wire" lag that is inherent in the design from FORD.

I haven’t had the new tune long enough to test gas mileage difference , if any, but I really don’t care about mileage because the car is a fun after work and weekend car, not a daily driver.

So if you are starting from new, I would say get the Brenspeed tune over the STEEDA tune.

-Tim-

I will probably go steeda elbow, and SCT XCAL II after warranty is up, or maybe before. I will probably get it dyno tuned rather than going with a canned/ordered tune. Little more money but optimized to your individual car.

I was told the tune was not "canned" but specifically for the Shelby GT. They have done enough of them in live tunes that all I did was give them a list of my mods , my ECM # and they made the appropriate adjustments such as CAI elbow, underdrive pulleys, etc. and then sent me the tune. To me, the performance result is good enough to know that the Brenspeed tune is not a canned tune.... other than the fact that they started with a basic SGT tune and modifyied it. Hope that helps.

-Tim-

I was told the tune was not "canned" but specifically for the Shelby GT. They have done enough of them in live tunes that all I did was give them a list of my mods , my ECM # and they made the appropriate adjustments such as CAI elbow, underdrive pulleys, etc. and then sent me the tune. To me, the performance result is good enough to know that the Brenspeed tune is not a canned tune.... other than the fact that they started with a basic SGT tune and modifyied it. Hope that helps.

-Tim-

I agree in fact I taked to them this morning , they have this down pat , there not guessing they have actually done the tunes on the products they sell .

Earlier in this topic a few people seemed interested in making a group purchase on the sct tuner from Brenspeed, I am wanting to buy one, if anyone is interested pm me or email me and we will make a list for a week and I'll call Brenspeed and set it up. Anyone?

Earlier in this topic a few people seemed interested in making a group purchase on the sct tuner from Brenspeed, I am wanting to buy one, if anyone is interested pm me or email me and we will make a list for a week and I'll call Brenspeed and set it up. Anyone?

At the same time, you might want to get the upgraded air elbow?

Just a thought......... :)

Yes , i said count me in!!!!!!!! B)

i'm still up for it ,see how many poeple we can get and how much of a discount????????

I would be interested as well. I havent had time to look into the elbow yet but that may be added as well. Let me know what the details are. I would prefer to have mine dyno'd but it isnt really a easy option up here to find someone so what the hell might as well go for Brentspeed. Everyone has been happy so thats good enough for me. :)

I would be interested as well. I havent had time to look into the elbow yet but that may be added as well. Let me know what the details are. I would prefer to have mine dyno'd but it isnt really a easy option up here to find someone so what the hell might as well go for Brentspeed. Everyone has been happy so thats good enough for me. :)

when i purchased the elbow it was $109.00 i think...............

Archived