TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SCT Tunes for the Shelby

Mustang Lover

I called JMS , today to talk to Monty , he said they already have a pretty good tune on them and you may get another 10-rwhp but thats about it . He also said he has dynoed several 07 GT's and they make 290 rwhp stock on his dynojet . So for the price of the x-cal2 tune I think its not worth the 10 RWHP at this time . I did however order an underdrive pulley from Summit racing yesterday , and I think I'm going to swap out the Mufflers for the Flow Master 40's ( purely for the sound ) .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called JMS , today to talk to Monty , he said they already have a pretty good tune on them and you may get another 10-rwhp but thats about it . He also said he has dynoed several 07 GT's and they make 290 rwhp stock on his dynojet . So for the price of the x-cal2 tune I think its not worth the 10 RWHP at this time . I did however order an underdrive pulley from Summit racing yesterday , and I think I'm going to swap out the Mufflers for the Flow Master 40's ( purely for the sound ) .

It's not so much the hp gain, its the over change in perameters in the tune that makes the car a different animal. The tune that comes from Ford Racing is good but, for what its intended for. Where as, I like to go the strip once in a while and i need the car to act differently then lets say a road car tune. The i have a tune that takes the car to the extreme end of the spectrum and with 95 octane i will have more then the 10hp.

As for the Dynojet, <_<

Im not to sure on the numbers stock with what he's doing. On average a stock Gt mustang may be at 260hp RWHP not 290. Most of us that have posted Dyno numbers on our Shelby's have been in the 280 range with our CAI and Ford Racing tune. :)

Case in point:

It's not so much the hp gain, its the over change in perameters in the tune that makes the car a different animal. The tune that comes from Ford Racing is good but, for what its intended for. Where as, I like to go the strip once in a while and i need the car to act differently then lets say a road car tune. The i have a tune that takes the car to the extreme end of the spectrum and with 95 octane i will have more then the 10hp.

As for the Dynojet, <_<

Im not to sure on the numbers stock with what he's doing. On average a stock Gt mustang may be at 260hp RWHP not 290. Most of us that have posted Dyno numbers on our Shelby's have been in the 280 range with our CAI and Ford Racing tune. :)

I agree , I have seen reports from 272-280 ish as well . I don't know why he is seeing more but thats what he said . I would like to see some Shelby GT dyno sheets that show a before and after x-cal tune . It looks like to get some bigger gain you need to change out the cam and springs . Brenspeed is saying that even mild cams with springs is good for 30-40 RWHP , now thats a nice gain but its not cheap 999.00 with the springs thats really not a bad price though .

I agree , I have seen reports from 272-280 ish as well . I don't know why he is seeing more but thats what he said . I would like to see some Shelby GT dyno sheets that show a before and after x-cal tune . It looks like to get some bigger gain you need to change out the cam and springs . Brenspeed is saying that even mild cams with springs is good for 30-40 RWHP , now thats a nice gain but its not cheap 999.00 with the springs thats really not a bad price though .

I'm trying to stay emission's legal as long as i can though.

If you want big gains, The SCT is not going to give that to you, maybe another 10hp, but like i said, its not the Hp gain that the SCT is good for unless you have a stock Gt mustang that your starting with. It is for changing certain charicturistic's (spell?) of the car. For example:

I have 3 tunes.

#1. Stock (Ford Racing) 91 octane that comes with the Shelby Gt. Good for all around street, Mountain driving (Carving Corners a little) Auto cross.

#2. Performance tune. Perameters such as timing, Throttle responce, ect... are improved on for a more Quicker responding car.

#3. Track only tune (Wink, Wink). Must run 95 octane or higher. Runs like a bat out of hell! Easily take an SRT 8 on the road or track and I have not added any mod parts yet! :D

I can not tell you exactly to what extent as to how much something is changed and what exactly is changed but, the car is like a jekyll and Hyde. :)

Ed - how does one obtain that three tunes setup you mention, and at what approx. cost (if you don't mind my asking)...

Ed - how does one obtain that three tunes setup you mention, and at what approx. cost (if you don't mind my asking)...

Here is what Brendspeed offers http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/tuning.html

I'm trying to stay emission's legal as long as i can though.

If you want big gains, The SCT is not going to give that to you, maybe another 10hp, but like i said, its not the Hp gain that the SCT is good for unless you have a stock Gt mustang that your starting with. It is for changing certain charicturistic's (spell?) of the car. For example:

I have 3 tunes.

#1. Stock (Ford Racing) 91 octane that comes with the Shelby Gt. Good for all around street, Mountain driving (Carving Corners a little) Auto cross.

#2. Performance tune. Perameters such as timing, Throttle responce, ect... are improved on for a more Quicker responding car.

#3. Track only tune (Wink, Wink). Must run 95 octane or higher. Runs like a bat out of hell! Easily take an SRT 8 on the road or track and I have not added any mod parts yet! :D

I can not tell you exactly to what extent as to how much something is changed and what exactly is changed but, the car is like a jekyll and Hyde. :)

Sounds good , I am going to put on a few bolt ons , I have a friend that does engine building so I may do the cams then get the tune . The cams are pretty mild so I doubt there are any emmision problems with them as long as you get the engine re tuned afterwards .

The first tune is your stock tune which is saved into the SCT the first time you use it, so you always have it to go back to when you go in for service if need be. It's been a while but im pretty sure the when you get an SCT from Brent, it will also come with the 2 other tunes. You just have to tell them what you want when ordering the Tuner. The other good thing about Brenspeed is that, if you purchase other performance related items, They will update your tunes for free where others charge you. :)

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/images/9400.gif

Swede and someone else did this recently. Maybe it was you Ed? Anyway my recollection is it cost them like $350 for the 2 tunes and the SCT tuner.

I ordered one this past Monday. It was $379.00 for the 2 tuners and the Tuner. I ordered a 93 octane tune (because that is easily available when I am)--but now may have to call them back and also have them send me one of Ed S.'s 95-octance "track tunes." Sounds fun...

I'll post pre and post dyno's when it arrives. More importantly, I'll let you know how much of a difference I feel in everyday driving.

The first tune is your stock tune which is saved into the SCT the first time you use it, so you always have it to go back to when you go in for service if need be. It's been a while but im pretty sure the when you get an SCT from Brent, it will also come with the 2 other tunes. You just have to tell them what you want when ordering the Tuner. The other good thing about Brenspeed is that, if you purchase other performance related items, They will update your tunes for free where others charge you. :)

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/images/9400.gif

Ed, to clarify

1. Did your car have to be flashed to stock before the SCT would work or could store the original tune?

2. If so, which stock flash did you have to get? The 1st release or 2nd?

3. If not, when you say "the first tune is your stock tune", you mean the SGT tune?

4. Do the additional 2 tunes on the SCT programmer have to be custom tuned to the car, ie. take the car to an SCT shop or do they already have the tunes on hand and it just generic for every Mustang?

5. It's all plug and play? No adjusting this curve or that doomahickie? It's (as in my case) idiot proof?

I'm sure to you pro's these questions are rudimentary but I need to be spoon-fed when it comes to these tuners.

Ed, to clarify

1. Did your car have to be flashed to stock before the SCT would work or could store the original tune?

2. If so, which stock flash did you have to get? The 1st release or 2nd?

3. If not, when you say "the first tune is your stock tune", you mean the SGT tune?

4. Do the additional 2 tunes on the SCT programmer have to be custom tuned to the car, ie. take the car to an SCT shop or do they already have the tunes on hand and it just generic for every Mustang?

5. It's all plug and play? No adjusting this curve or that doomahickie? It's (as in my case) idiot proof?

I'm sure to you pro's these questions are rudimentary but I need to be spoon-fed when it comes to these tuners.

There always something new for everybody............ :)

1. No. The SCT stores the original "Shelby Tune" the first time you use it so you will always have it.

3. Yes. my first tune i refer to is the "Stock" Shelby (Ford Racing) tune.

4. No. Brenspeed has test cars that they have used everything they sell and test all those parts and design tunes for all applications. So when they know your configuration , they have the tunes that are base performance tunes that are tweaked for your car based on the info you give them.

5. Totally plug and play. They have videos on thier site with demo's on how it works. Once you have used it once, it takes all of 2 minutes to change tunes.

I will...getting a baseline (bone stock) dyno tomorrow (Friday AM) and I'll post the results. Then will get it redyno'd next week once the Brenspeed tunes are in.

It would be great to know the actual HP increases w/ the tunes.

Stump, if I can do it, anybody can do it! :lol: I got mine couple of weeks ago from Brenspeed, only I got 3 custom tunes for the $379 :blink: . I got 2 91 octane tunes (street and race) and a 93 octane race tune. The 91 street REALLY gives the car more low end power, very good for driving around town. 91 race tune has more low end than stock tune, but not as much as the street tune, geared more to the higher RPM range. Have not tried 93 octane tune yet, but can't wait to. Don't know about true HP/TQ gains and frankly I don't care. IMO makes the car even more enjoyable to drive. Just plug the tuner into the socket under the drivers side dash, tuner powers up, and follow instructions on tuner. As simple as pressing a couple of buttons. :)

It would be great to know the actual HP increases w/ the tunes.

Here is the reply I got back from Brenspeed

Gary,

The Shelby tune is a very weak tune. It does not address the throttle response or any of the torque management issues that comes with a stock for tune. The feedback we get from the customers that purchase the Shelby tune from us is they love it and think it feels much faster than the current tune. Peak HP is improved slightly but that is not what makes the tune feel fast. The corrections we make to the torque management and the drive by wire make the car feel like it should have from the factory.

Thanks Gary!

The Shelby tune is a very weak tune. It does not address the throttle response or any of the torque management issues that comes with a stock for tune. The feedback we get from the customers that purchase the Shelby tune from us is they love it and think it feels much faster than the current tune. Peak HP is improved slightly but that is not what makes the tune feel fast. The corrections we make to the torque management and the drive by wire make the car feel like it should have from the factory.

How does having a supercharged engine affect that is available for tunes? Anyone know? Thanks. jim

How does having a supercharged engine affect that is available for tunes? Anyone know? Thanks. jim

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/tuning.html check here

A supercharged car is a totally different deal all together. I would only use the tune that came from the S/C manufacture or have it dyno tuned on a dyno. To many things can go left on a S/C car as opposed to a N/A car which has more room to play with. :)

I know you guys might think I am crazy, but here goes anyway. I bought a SCT from Brenspeed a couple of months ago, I had them make me a 93 oct, a 91 oct and a 87 oct tune. I also at the same time installed 4.10 gears.

All the new tunes were a great improvment over the stock tune. The throttle response was much faster, and believe it or not the 87 tune seems to have surge of power you can really feel about 3500 rpm or so, at any rate it feels better on the 87 tune than the stock tune, of course I realize that some of my new feel is the gears.

I have run a full tank of fuel on each of the three tunes and am quite pleased with them. I did have a couple of issues which Brenspeed has been real helpful in fixing.

The first issue was with the 93 tune, the idle speed would vary up and down about 150 rpms. They said it probably got corrupted when they E-mailed it.

The second issue was that they changed the fan cut off temp and the stock thermostat would not let the car get cool enough for the fan to shut off, they changed it back to stock and sent me three more tunes which I am going to install tomorrow, so I should be good to go.

The folks at Brenspeed are real good to work with and I can recommend them.

Thanks

M. Potter

A supercharged car is a totally different deal all together. I would only use the tune that came from the S/C manufacture or have it dyno tuned on a dyno. To many things can go left on a S/C car as opposed to a N/A car which has more room to play with. :)

Hi Ed,

Thanks. One of the things I plan to be with my SGT/SC is careful. When I asked SAI if the standard SGT running gear was capable of dealing with the supercharger, the response was, word for word, "It can handle it." It was not said in an arrogant way but in a way to address my detailed e-mail about my fears when you add 125 "plus" horsepower to a car. I am 57 years old and, back in the 60's, when we made our cars more powerful, we started breaking things. While I do not plan on driving this Mustang as I did my 1966 Fastback, I want to find out as much as I can about what real world strains a supercharger puts on the SGT. Jim

Hi Ed,

Thanks. One of the things I plan to be with my SGT/SC is careful. When I asked SAI if the standard SGT running gear was capable of dealing with the supercharger, the response was, word for word, "It can handle it." It was not said in an arrogant way but in a way to address my detailed e-mail about my fears when you add 125 "plus" horsepower to a car. I am 57 years old and, back in the 60's, when we made our cars more powerful, we started breaking things. While I do not plan on driving this Mustang as I did my 1966 Fastback, I want to find out as much as I can about what real world strains a supercharger puts on the SGT. Jim

It ain't gonna break anything that can't be fixed!

I know you guys might think I am crazy, but here goes anyway. I bought a SCT from Brenspeed a couple of months ago, I had them make me a 93 oct, a 91 oct and a 87 oct tune. I also at the same time installed 4.10 gears.

All the new tunes were a great improvment over the stock tune. The throttle response was much faster, and believe it or not the 87 tune seems to have surge of power you can really feel about 3500 rpm or so, at any rate it feels better on the 87 tune than the stock tune, of course I realize that some of my new feel is the gears.

I have run a full tank of fuel on each of the three tunes and am quite pleased with them. I did have a couple of issues which Brenspeed has been real helpful in fixing.

The first issue was with the 93 tune, the idle speed would vary up and down about 150 rpms. They said it probably got corrupted when they E-mailed it.

The second issue was that they changed the fan cut off temp and the stock thermostat would not let the car get cool enough for the fan to shut off, they changed it back to stock and sent me three more tunes which I am going to install tomorrow, so I should be good to go.

The folks at Brenspeed are real good to work with and I can recommend them.

Thanks

M. Potter

You might be crazy? I don't know? :)

I have always been completely satisfied with Brenspeed's customer service. :D

Hi Ed,

I know what you mean. The weakest link in these 3v motors is the rod's. They are a "Powdered" rod. Some of the post i have read on other boards about the subject is that, It's all in the tune. Some have 500hp, some have less. but about 450-475 RWHP seems to be the norm without breakage. When you get alot more greedy, thats when your on borrowed time. No one can perdict how much your engine is going to handle because they are all different in some way shape or form. The more your foots in it, the less it is going to last, wear wise, but who knows, life itself is a risk. Better get sticky's for that thing! :)

I got the new tunes into the SCT tuner today and loaded the 93 oct. in the car, idle problem corrected, fan cut off back to normal, all is well.

With the 4.10s at 70 mph I am a tick under 2500 rpm in 5th. The mpg on the computer on the interstate (fairly flat surface with cruise on) at 70 mph settles down to about 24.1 mpg, it is the same no matter which tune is in the car. With the stock gears and the factory tune I could get 27mpg on the same road. The car feels real quick :D

Mark Potter

One more question.

I know once the tuner is used on a car it's locked to that car but can you remove the programming from the car back into the tuner and then use it on another car?

I ask because I'm thinking of getting one but once the S/C gets ordered I could then sell the SCT tuner at an inflated....errrr, I mean reasonable price since the S/C will come with it's own.

One more question.

I know once the tuner is used on a car it's locked to that car but can you remove the programming from the car back into the tuner and then use it on another car?

I ask because I'm thinking of getting one but once the S/C gets ordered I could then sell the SCT tuner at an inflated....errrr, I mean reasonable price since the S/C will come with it's own.

They would have to unlock it for it to work on another EEC.

They would have to unlock it for it to work on another EEC.

You can unlock the car from your Pc. using the Live load software that comes with it and uses an USB port, it enables you to install tunes to your SCT via your Pc if there is an updated tune or if you change something on your car say, headers, cams, ect.... they can email a new profile "Tune" and you install it to your SCT. If in fact your done using your SCT. You simply use the live load to "Unlock" from your vehicle. But be sure to put your "Stock" tune back in it before you do. :)

Archived