TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Problems?

fastbk doc

Just received an email from one of my fellow Shelby nuts concerning a possible problem with the clutch in all Shelbys built before June of 2007. The email is a little hard to follow but I thought I would post it and see if anyone else has heard anything about this. The email is as follows:

>

>

>

> Subject

> IMPORTANT Clutch Test info.

> For those of you that car/Shelby wasn't built after June 07 will

> experience clucth issues. And this is most of us. This clutch problem

> isn't an individual thing. Not to start a panic, but here is a test that you can conduct

> yourself.

>

>

> We all know how the clutch makes the hissing sound when you start to let

> it out in Reverse or 1st gear, so with that in mind do this little test.

>

> You will need to have your windows down and radio off and if you are in

> the garage you will hear it better if your car does it.

>

> TEST:

>

> Start the car.

>

> Leave it in nuetral.

>

> Push the clutch pedal in and listen carefully.

>

> When the clutch pedal is all the way in does the hiss sound start for

> 1-2 seconds and then fade away to nothing ???

>

> My thought is that when you are shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, you push

> the clutch in and when you move from 1st to 2nd, that short hang up in

> the clutch plates dis-engaging is causing the slight syncro bump in the

> transmission.

>

> Other signs, gear grinding, getting stuck in a gear, car creeping while

> in neutral, car not wanting to move in reverse, etc....

>

>

> End result, if you are hearing the hiss, your clucth is malfunctioning.

> .

>

> If for some reason you go to your sealer if you are experiencing a

> clutch problem, then here is something you can show/give them.

>

> Everyone that recieves this email from me is simply getting a heads up.

> Your car will experience this sooner or later. Has nothing to do with

> abuse to the car. If a dealer is not aware, then give them a copy of the "Ford Service Tip"

> only below.

>

>

>

>

>

> Ford Service Tip: "19802 2007-2008 Mustang Shelby GT500 Clutch Service

> Tip"

>

> The grind is a known issue and has to due with the clutch dragging. The

> clutch assembly needs to be replaced (part# 7R3Z07B546-B ), and

> Motorcraft PTFE lubricant (Part# XG8 or D2AZ-19590-A) needs to be

> applied to the hub splines.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

--

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.488 / Virus Database: 269.13.36/1041 - Release Date: 10/1/2007 10:20 AM

My clutch has already been replaced (under warranty) for other reasons, but I never experienced the above-mentioned issues. I had a chatter and vibration problem.

I bought my red gt500 on 6/30/07 and it has been miserable to drive... the clutch chatters and the car vibrates each take off... you have to ride the clutch to not chatter as much...I have been to a dealer twice and he quotes the tech bulletin stating chatter is not a concern..but when the car shakes and vibrates is IS A CONCERN!!! I only have 750miles on the car and at my age and the cost of the car abuse is not even a concern.......the problem is like trying to drive a vehicle that has oil saturated on the clutch disc and vibration and chatter is there soI am glad tosee a fix is possible...............thanks for the info

David, they should replace your clutch and resurface your flywheel, just like they did mine. My vibration was bad enough to shake my exhaust and make it rattle and bang. At first we believed that I just had the "exhaust rattle" issue, but in the end result the clutch replacement fixed everything. All the work was done under warranty by my Ford dealer. You should call Ford Performance and speak with the people there; they were great to work with and know all about my issue and how it was eventually resolved.

I bought my red gt500 on 6/30/07 and it has been miserable to drive... the clutch chatters and the car vibrates each take off... you have to ride the clutch to not chatter as much...I have been to a dealer twice and he quotes the tech bulletin stating chatter is not a concern..but when the car shakes and vibrates is IS A CONCERN!!! I only have 750miles on the car and at my age and the cost of the car abuse is not even a concern.......the problem is like trying to drive a vehicle that has oil saturated on the clutch disc and vibration and chatter is there soI am glad tosee a fix is possible...............thanks for the info

My first clutch went belly-up at 1,800 miles last October, broken release fingers on the pressure plate, it was replaced under warranty at no charge. I've got about 6,000 miles on the second one and I've had no issues with it and I'd say that I've been hard on it at times. I thought I contributed to the failure of the first clutch because I wasn't working the clutch correctly, ya I admit it...but after reading fasbk doc's post and the FST maybe my contribution to the failure wasn't as much as I thought it was???

Something that I noticed with both clutches was that the new clutch chatter didn't go away until after apx. 500-600 miles, your results my vary due to your type of driving/shifting. A fellow GT500 owner that I know got his broken-in (no chatter) after about 400 miles, he's never had a problem with his clutch and he drag races (at the strip) his GT500 at least once a month so he's doing a lot of hard drops at 3000 rpm but otherwise he treats his GT500 very well.

I wonder what the clutch failure rate is? Conservitively, lets say it's 5% or 1 in 20 GT500's, with apx. 10,280 2007 GT500 built that's 514 bad clutches. Enough for a re-call? Probably not...And if FoMoCo is willing to replace the first one with little or no questions asked, then they really don't need to do a recall. Also consider that it's not a life threatening failure, inconvienant yes, but not life threatening and most GT500 owners are very in-tune with the performance of their vehicles and they are going to know if something is wrong with the clutch and take it into their dealer for a look-see.

As far as your situation David, I'd give it a another 200-300 miles to see if the chatter goes away, this is probably what your dealer is thinking too; take it to work, 5 days of stop and go traffic should get it broken in and give your left leg a good workout as well. The first sign of failure on my first clutch was not being able to shift into reverse easily, then it was hard to get it into first then it was impossible to get it into reverse or first without shutting off the motor, shifting into gear w/clutch engaged then turning on the motor.

Hope that helps,

WP

David, they should replace your clutch and resurface your flywheel, just like they did mine. My vibration was bad enough to shake my exhaust and make it rattle and bang. At first we believed that I just had the "exhaust rattle" issue, but in the end result the clutch replacement fixed everything. All the work was done under warranty by my Ford dealer. You should call Ford Performance and speak with the people there; they were great to work with and know all about my issue and how it was eventually resolved.

OH, one other thing, when my dealer replaced my first clutch they replaced the flywheel and throw-out bearing as well :D .

WP

thanks for all of the comments.... I will drive a few more miles then check with the dealer again but as much as I drive it , 2-300 more miles could be awhile............I have a 04 mystic cobra convertible with a little over 4000 miles and a 95 gt with under 26000 so I will have to try hard to put a few more miles on it....thanks for all of the info and please everyone,keep posting.....................thanks david

• 3 weeks later...

Archived