TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WENT TO AAI!

jfranken

I went out to AAI today to see my GT500 get built. I am an intern for Ford and the people at AAI and new model programs were nice enough to let me watch my car go from paint to final assembly and come off the line. I was at the plant for about 7 hours watching the car go from station to station. I was not allowed to take pictures so sorry no pictures. I also checked out other shelbys which were built and getting stripes. I can tell that Ford is doing its very best to make sure there are no quality issues with this vehicles. They know how much all of us expect out of our vehicles. There is a lot to say about this unique experience...so much i'm not exactly sure what to include. I'm sure people have some questiones so I will do my best to answer them...some stuff I might not be able to answer because it is confidential and so on...

Black coupe with white stripes BUILT!

I went out to AAI today to see my GT500 get built. I am an intern for Ford and the people at AAI and new model programs were nice enough to let me watch my car go from paint to final assembly and come off the line. I was at the plant for about 7 hours watching the car go from station to station. I was not allowed to take pictures so sorry no pictures. I also checked out other shelbys which were built and getting stripes. I can tell that Ford is doing its very best to make sure there are no quality issues with this vehicles. They know how much all of us expect out of our vehicles. There is a lot to say about this unique experience...so much i'm not exactly sure what to include. I'm sure people have some questiones so I will do my best to answer them...some stuff I might not be able to answer because it is confidential and so on...

Are the stripes being installed on the line as reported on one ofthe posts.

How many Shelby`s are they making per shift & are there any Quality holds that you know of?

Any info would be appreciated.

Are the stripes being installed on the line as reported on one ofthe posts.

How many Shelby`s are they making per shift & are there any Quality holds that you know of?

Any info would be appreciated.

No quality holds I know about. The side stripes are installed on the line but the over head stripes are at a seperate building. Not sure about the how many they are making per shift....but there were a lot of shelbys around the plant.

you saw a bunch of shelbys around the plant, any whispering's as to how many total they will make, or how many years they will make them. i've heard anywhere from 2-3 years with approx 8,000 or so per year give or take. if thats the case i think the average joe like myself who's waiting on the price to drop wont be able to buy one because of the long wait. then they'll be a mad rush to buy them as soon as the price comes down in a year or so. jay

you saw a bunch of shelbys around the plant, any whispering's as to how many total they will make, or how many years they will make them. i've heard anywhere from 2-3 years with approx 8,000 or so per year give or take. if thats the case i think the average joe like myself who's waiting on the price to drop wont be able to buy one because of the long wait. then they'll be a mad rush to buy them as soon as the price comes down in a year or so. jay

I can't really talk about specific numbers but I think people who want one and are willing to wait should be able to get one. I ordered a shaker 1000 (i order a coupe) and I saw it put into the car. I think verts have a material hold, if that is the case the dealers would be notified by AAI so the dealers who have ordered verts with shaker 1000 will know what is happening.

I can't really talk about specific numbers but I think people who want one and are willing to wait should be able to get one. I ordered a shaker 1000 (i order a coupe) and I saw it put into the car. I think verts have a material hold, if that is the case the dealers would be notified by AAI so the dealers who have ordered verts with shaker 1000 will know what is happening.

You’re not helping much here & are being pretty vague on even the simplest questions. It’s not as if we are asking for TOP SECRET info. If your worried about who might link the source of info, change your Identity then & repost the info we ask about, we won’t tell. sorry PSDS kicking in again, time for more beer

You’re not helping much here & are being pretty vague on even the simplest questions. It’s not as if we are asking for TOP SECRET info. If your worried about who might link the source of info, change your Identity then & repost the info we ask about, we won’t tell. sorry PSDS kicking in again, time for more beer

chill out....i want to give you info but i don't think telling you how many shelbys are getting built is worth me getting fired....I want to be helpful but not hang myself. Also things like material holds, jobs per hour, and total production are secret...if they weren't don't you think you would know them by now? Go have that beer then we can talk...

No quality holds I know about. The side stripes are installed on the line but the over head stripes are at a seperate building. Not sure about the how many they are making per shift....but there were a lot of shelbys around the plant.

`jfranken

Thanks for the info couple question you can answer , when will you get your car & where & when did you order your car?

`jfranken

Thanks for the info couple question you can answer , when will you get your car & where & when did you order your car?

I should get my car in two weeks. I ordered the car the day orders opened from a dealership in South Portland, Maine. The vehicle is being delivered to a dealship in Minneapolis. SO close yet SO far from driving the shelby!

chill out....i want to give you info but i don't think telling you how many shelbys are getting built is worth me getting fired....I want to be helpful but not hang myself. Also things like material holds, jobs per hour, and total production are secret...if they weren't don't you think you would know them by now? Go have that beer then we can talk...

Well, I'd give my source but after reading this I don't want to get anyone in trouble, yet I was told they are building 25 Shelby stangs a day working 20hr shifts.

thanx for the great info. We were able to go watch our 2002 Thunderbirds be built. My dealers first car was built on June the 26th. It is a vert with only the shaker 500. If the stripes are put on the side on the line, I wonder why they don`t have it yet. Can you tell us if there is a pattern to how many Shelbys come down the line with the regular Mustangs? Did you get to ride in your car when it left the line? thanx again.

that's one hell of alot less than what it should be. should be between 60 & 80 (30 to 40 or so per shift) a day give or take.

20 hr shifts?

I hardly think so. maybe 2 x 10 hours shifts perhaps?

that's one hell of alot less than what it should be. should be between 60 & 80 (30 to 40 or so per shift) a day give or take.

20 hr shifts?

I hardly think so. maybe 2 x 10 hours shifts perhaps?

Yes, that's what I meant --working 20 hours a day--I assume two 10hr shifts. Also, as you point out, they are going to have to increase production at some point. At this point Shelbysm stangs, and Mazda6 all being built at Flat Rock.

Sounds like you had a great day. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'd like to take the same tour.

Archived