TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My first oil change, what fun!

CrazyDave_merged

I go to Neanderthal Quiky Lube Sunday at 10:00am for my first oil change. It was a pretty morning, I was in a very good mood.

Smelly fat kid (Thal) appears, I tell him what I need, he gets in Sherby and drives him into bay number 4. With the parking break still on!

Thal then releases the hood latch from inside the car, with hood pins still in. I nicely give him an FYI about that. I push down on hood to demonstrate how to release hood pins.

Thal says, “I ain’t never seen them before, what are they for”.

Then Thal says they don’t nave no Mobil 1 5W20. But, the Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W20 is made by Mobile 1. So I say OK.

Thal bends my dipstick in half trying to measure after new oil. He wipes off the stick and then bends it again while remeasuring. I’m standing right there. You would think he would say “oops, sorry about that” but he seems to think if he can find a hole to jam it into he is good.

Thal starts car up to move him out. I tap on the drivers side window and tell him the car goes much better when the parking break is released. He looked confused.

I go to the register to pay. Normally they have a young hottie taking the money. I look forward to seeing a young hottie when I have my oil changed. No, not today. It’s Thal’s

brother Ugg. He says $62.99. Normally it’s $29.99.

So, my mood is not so good anymore. I just want to go drive Sherby to get my good mood back. I get in and it smells like Thal. I roll down the windows and hit the road to get the BO smell out.

Next time, I’m changing my oil myself.

I go to Neanderthal Quiky Lube Sunday at 10:00am for my first oil change. It was a pretty morning, I was in a very good mood.

Smelly fat kid (Thal) appears, I tell him what I need, he gets in Sherby and drives him into bay number 4. With the parking break still on!

Thal then releases the hood latch from inside the car, with hood pins still in. I nicely give him an FYI about that. I push down on hood to demonstrate how to release hood pins.

Then Thal says they don’t nave no Mobil 1 5W20. But, the Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W20 is made by Mobile 1. So I say OK.

Thal bends my dipstick in half trying to measure after new oil. He wipes off the stick and then bends it again while remeasuring. I’m standing right there. You would think he would say “oops, sorry about that” but he seems to think if he can find a hole to jam it into he is good.

Thal starts car up to move him out. I tap on the drivers side window and tell him the car goes much better when the parking break is released. He looked confused.

I go to the register to pay. Normally they have a young hottie taking the money. I look forward to seeing a young hottie when I have my oil changed. No, not today. It’s Thal’s

So, my mood is not so good anymore. I just want to go drive Sherby to get my good mood back. I get in and it smells like Thal. I roll down the windows and hit the road to get the BO smell out.

Wow , I'm thinking I would have stopped him at the parking brake incident! Sorry to hear all this. Just be glad nothing worse happened. I would never take a specialty car to any oil changing joint. I know ford oil changes cost 80 bucks but as little as I drive the car i feel its worth it. Doing it yourself is good too. Good luck man and enjoy...

You risked a lot going to one of those places. I am having the Ford dealer do my changes while under warranty. At Ford you get (or are much more likely to get) qualified mechanics doing the work; the correct oil; you get the correct Motorcraft filter, and your service gets entered into the Ford computers / history. Not to mention that they would much more familiar with your car.

Luckily I have a quick lube right next door to my store and have a good relationship with them. I usually take my vehicles over there right at closing time and pretty much do it myself. They know I am particular about my vehicles and accommodate me accordingly.

You risked a lot going to one of those places. I am having the Ford dealer do my changes while under warranty. At Ford you get (or are much more likely to get) qualified mechanics doing the work; the correct oil; you get the correct Motorcraft filter, and your service gets entered into the Ford computers / history. Not to mention that they would much more familiar with your car.

+1

Funny story, sort of along the same lines (incompetent labor and attractive women):

Growing up, my best friend worked part time at a full service BP station in our home town. A young attractive female drives up in an early SUV (Explorer, Jeep, can't remember exactly). My friend and the other "technician" race each other to take care of her, and my friend gets to her first.

She wants an oil change, so he pulls her car in and lifts it. Being the cool guy that he was, he starts up a conversation with her, removes the drain bolt, and realizes that he hasn't brought the drain pan. So...he puts his finger in the hole to stop the oil from running out onto the shop floor (remember that the car was just being driven and the oil in the pan is HOT).

I don't know how long he left his finger there, how he got the pan, or how much of a mess he ultimately made, but I do know that he didn't bother asking for her phone number...

I've been using Neander Lube for years. I see all kinds of Vettes and other muscle cars there. They

were always professional.

I think there must be a new owner or management. And, I don't trust the goons at Ford either. My first free oil change (Ford Dealer) would have required a 50 mile round trip.

If you want something done right, well, you know the saying.

+1

Funny story, sort of along the same lines (incompetent labor and attractive women):

Growing up, my best friend worked part time at a full service BP station in our home town. A young attractive female drives up in an early SUV (Explorer, Jeep, can't remember exactly). My friend and the other "technician" race each other to take care of her, and my friend gets to her first.

She wants an oil change, so he pulls her car in and lifts it. Being the cool guy that he was, he starts up a conversation with her, removes the drain bolt, and realizes that he hasn't brought the drain pan. So...he puts his finger in the hole to stop the oil from running out onto the shop floor (remember that the car was just being driven and the oil in the pan is HOT).

I don't know how long he left his finger there, how he got the pan, or how much of a mess he ultimately made, but I do know that he didn't bother asking for her phone number...

hey Stan, i hope everything is going good. your story sound like something i would have done as a kid trying to impress some girl. i would have ended up making myself looking dumber than i really am. glad my wife didnt know me when i was young.

michael morris

I always "test" my oil change places. When I take the Jeep in for full service I ask them how many fittings they greased.

If they say any # other than 7, I tell them where they are all located, get them greased and never return. I also tell the manager he just lost my business.

And screw the "insurance regulations don't allow customers in the shop area" sign. I'm right there with them. If they tell me to leave, I do so in my vehicle.

I have one in Terrell that has always been excellent and they don't have a lot of turnover either which is a good sign. I was getting the Jeep serviced and told the owner I would be bringing in my 2007 Shelby in a few days. She got really wide eyed and excited. When I brought it in, the car was treated like a queen with covers on the fenders, front of the car, opening and closing the doors with rags and so on.

I'll continue using these guys even if they are a bit on the expensive side.

+10000000

hey Stan, i hope everything is going good. your story sound like something i would have done as a kid trying to impress some girl. i would have ended up making myself looking dumber than i really am. glad my wife didnt know me when i was young.

michael morris

Stump: Good for you!!!!!!! I have been in the insurance business for over 30 years and have dealt with hundreds of insurance companies, and not one of them has an exclusion for customers being the the repair bays while their cars are being worked on.

+1

I've never in my 40 years of driving let anyone else change my oil. That's alot of oil changes too! It's the most often done maintenance and the most important and it's the easiest too! So I figure why not do it yourself.

Oil changes were $19.99 for a long time, now they are $29.99. That's full service (clean windows, vacuum interior, check tire pressure, top off fluids)

When you consider the price of good oil, and the price of the filter, the pain of getting under your car, disposing of the old oil (environmentally, not in a hole in the back yard), and cleaning the oil off your hands, it's a pretty good deal having somebody else do the dirty work.

My free time is worth a few bucks. Just need to find a new place to do a better job.

i took my 86 chevy truck to one of those drive thru choke and puke quiky lubes and had rutine oil change and one of thier goobers was trying to put a quart of transmission fluid in my tranny and the stick measures by PINTS NOT QUARTS....so... he overfilled it...i saw him and i said hey my trans doesnt need all that fluid and that the stick measures by the pint and he said "oh i thought it showed a quart low"...i went to the manager and said that he overfilled my trans and he said that he will have him drop the tranny's pan and refill it...and i said "i'm sorry but i'm not letting him touch my trans..." ...i paid for the oil change and then left and never came back.

sometimes i wonder how these noobs made it out of highschool....or jr high. <_<

i normally changed oil myself on tha told truck but i didnt have time to on this occasion

I like to do oil changes myself use Mobil 1 with Ford Racing filter will switch to 5w 30 in spring. This gives me chance to check tires whcih most places do not do, check fluid levels and clean up engine area, I have seen libe mechs at Ford not impressed do not trust lube places have always do oil changes on all my toys and will continue to do so.

Oil changes were $19.99 for a long time, now they are $29.99. That's full service (clean windows, vacuum interior, check tire pressure, top off fluids)

When you consider the price of good oil, and the price of the filter, the pain of getting under your car, disposing of the old oil (environmentally, not in a hole in the back yard), and cleaning the oil off your hands, it's a pretty good deal having somebody else do the dirty work.

My free time is worth a few bucks. Just need to find a new place to do a better job.

+1

I would never take my expedition to a jiffy lube , and i'm definetly not taking my Shelby to one!!!!!!

I got the maitnence package with my purchase through ford that way if something ever goes wrong they get to fix it!! :D

Sorry to hear what had happend to you I would have asked to talk to the owner before i paid anything at all !!! I'm sure your not gonna take it back to a different place like that! Thanks for the post , hopefully the other Shelby Bro's read this and think twice!!!!!!!!!!! B)

Archived