TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Proper Oil Temp?

jaydub Mach1

Hi,

My car came with the "California" package which included the three gage pod that sits on top of the dash. The gages are for oil pressure, fuel pressure and oil temperature.

After the car is fully warmed up, the oil temp needle sits just above the lowest number on the dial: 140 deg. In fact, I have to really look at it to see if it's moved from cold.

Does anybody know if that is normal? The other gages have their readings roughly in their middle.

Thanks! :)

I have the exact same gauge set up and I noticed the same thing. It never seems to get past 140 degree when making short trips around town. I would of thought it was wasn't working except that I did see it work on my 1700+ mile museum pick up trip back to Washington from Las Vegas . The highest I remember seeing it was around 170 degrees between Las Vegas and Tahoe. It was over 100+ degree outside temp and I might of been pushing the speed limit. :rolleyes:

I was reading this thread and based on what I have learned through the years - take it or leave it - the proper oil temp should be around 180-212. In fact it used to be recommended the oil get to the boiling point every now and then in order to "boil" out the water that will accumulate. Other VOC's will evaporate at a lower temp. I know B&M and Perma-Cool both have bypass valves that will not allow the oil to flow 100% through the cooler until 180 degrees, only 10% below 180 degrees. I wonder if the Shelby/Mustang oil cooler works too good? Or it could be where the temp probe is placed. A good test would be to place a piece of cardboard over the cooler to let the oil heat up more during normal driving and see what the gauge says then.

I wonder which side of the cooler the probe is placed? Incoming or outgoing?

Archived