TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H mods

john grapes

hey, any of you guys doing any mods to your cars or are you keeping them all stock.Also any body driving them on a regular basis or just the nice day to a show deal.I have some old show cars and take them out now and then, but I bought the GT-H to drive around, and believe as long as you keep the old parts its ok to mod.what are you guys doing with yours?

hey, any of you guys doing any mods to your cars or are you keeping them all stock.Also any body driving them on a regular basis or just the nice day to a show deal.I have some old show cars and take them out now and then, but I bought the GT-H to drive around, and believe as long as you keep the old parts its ok to mod.what are you guys doing with yours?

I have a 1966 GT-350 (owned for 40 years) and a 2007 GT. I drive them both like I stole them! But, usually only on the weekends. As far as mods go, both are pretty much stock, except the GT-350, it has 4 wheel disc brakes. I plan to keep them that way, except I am planning on installing a S/C on the 2007.

I bought my GTH to drive and enjoy. I will keep it stock and keep it detailed. There is a lot of speculation about history repaeting itself.

Either way, I want to enjoy the car. It is my plan to have a nice black plexi glass board made with a picture of both the 1966 and 2006 GTH cars and some history about the 40th anniversary. I think this would be cool to have at a show or car event.

KEEPING IT DETAILED WON'T BE ENOUGH, THE DECALS WILL FADE AND PEEL. JUST HAD MY HOOD REPAIRED, MANY STRESS CRACKS, THE HOOD WAS PAINTED IN COLOR ONLY [POOR PAINT QUALITY] WITH VINYL STRIPES, YOU COULD SEE THE COLOR DIFFERNCE FROM FADING FROM ONLY ONE YEAR [NEVER CLEARED TO MATCH THE ORIGINAL FACTORY PAINT]. THE STRIPES ARE LOW QUALITY, MINE WERE FADED BADLY AND UPON CLOSE INSPECTION WERE STARTING TO PEEL IN ALL THE CORNERS. I AM SURE ALL GT'S AND GT-H'S WILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM, THESE DECALS ARE ONLY MEANT TO LAST A COUPLE YEARS. I ALSO REMOVED ALL THE VINYL DECALS, AND PAINTED THE STRIPES, HAD THE COMPLETE CAR CLEARED, THE REAR BUMPER DECALS WERE VERY BAD QUALITY, LOOK AT THEM CLOSELY, MINE WERE IN 4 TOTAL PIECES, LIKE SCRAPS WERE USED. I ALSO AM INSTALLING THE NEW BILLET SHELBY HOOD PIN KIT. LOOKS MUCH BETTER THAN THE STAINLESS WASHERS. THESE NEW ONES HAVE URETHANE INSIDE THEM FOR BETTER VIBRATION PROTECTION. I AM ALSO PLANNING THE SUPERCHARGER UPGRADE WITH HEADERS, I MAY GO WITH A SALEEN UNIT, BUT AM CONSIDERING THE PAXTON. I AM REALLY TRYING TO KEEP THE STRUT BAR INTACT. I DO NOT LIKE THE FORD RACING UNIT, LOOKS FUNKY. THE SALEEN UNIT LOOKS NICE, BUT WON'T RETAIN THE STRUT BAR.

STEVEO FROM CHICAGO

2006 SHELBY GT-H #467

KEEPING IT DETAILED WON'T BE ENOUGH, THE DECALS WILL FADE AND PEEL. JUST HAD MY HOOD REPAIRED, MANY STRESS CRACKS, THE HOOD WAS PAINTED IN COLOR ONLY [POOR PAINT QUALITY] WITH VINYL STRIPES, YOU COULD SEE THE COLOR DIFFERNCE FROM FADING FROM ONLY ONE YEAR [NEVER CLEARED TO MATCH THE ORIGINAL FACTORY PAINT]. THE STRIPES ARE LOW QUALITY, MINE WERE FADED BADLY AND UPON CLOSE INSPECTION WERE STARTING TO PEEL IN ALL THE CORNERS. I AM SURE ALL GT'S AND GT-H'S WILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM, THESE DECALS ARE ONLY MEANT TO LAST A COUPLE YEARS. I ALSO REMOVED ALL THE VINYL DECALS, AND PAINTED THE STRIPES, HAD THE COMPLETE CAR CLEARED, THE REAR BUMPER DECALS WERE VERY BAD QUALITY, LOOK AT THEM CLOSELY, MINE WERE IN 4 TOTAL PIECES, LIKE SCRAPS WERE USED. I ALSO AM INSTALLING THE NEW BILLET SHELBY HOOD PIN KIT. LOOKS MUCH BETTER THAN THE STAINLESS WASHERS. THESE NEW ONES HAVE URETHANE INSIDE THEM FOR BETTER VIBRATION PROTECTION. I AM ALSO PLANNING THE SUPERCHARGER UPGRADE WITH HEADERS, I MAY GO WITH A SALEEN UNIT, BUT AM CONSIDERING THE PAXTON. I AM REALLY TRYING TO KEEP THE STRUT BAR INTACT. I DO NOT LIKE THE FORD RACING UNIT, LOOKS FUNKY. THE SALEEN UNIT LOOKS NICE, BUT WON'T RETAIN THE STRUT BAR.

STEVEO FROM CHICAGO

2006 SHELBY GT-H #467

Hey Stevo, I see the same problem with the stripes, they are fading and seem a poor quality. I am also thinking about painting the stripes on, were you able to closely math the color of the stripes. The hood pins are also rusting out.

Hey Stevo, I see the same problem with the stripes, they are fading and seem a poor quality. I am also thinking about painting the stripes on, were you able to closely math the color of the stripes. The hood pins are also rusting out.

YES, MY FRIEND PULLED OUT A GOLD COLOR CHART, THEY ARE A SLIGHTLY FLAT COLOR OF GOLD, VERY LITTLE FLAKE IN IT, IF YOU WANT I WILL GET THE COLOR CODE FROM HIM, MATCHED UP EXTREMELY WELL, I LEFT ON THE ORIGINAL SIDE STICKERS AND CLEARED THE WHOLE CAR, I WILL PICK IT UP LATER THIS WEEK, IT FEELS SO MUCH SMOOTHER AND WILL WAX UP MUCH BETTER...ALSO MY HOOD WAS STARTING TO SPIDER CRACK AROUND THE LEFT SIDE PIN HOLE, AND WHILE HE WAS SANDING UP THE WHOLE HOOD, HE SHOWED ME THE MAJOR STRESS CRACKS ON THE INNER LEFT SIDE OF THE INDENTATION OF THE HOOD, MY FRIEND REDID THE WHOLE HOOD AND REINFORCED THE HOOD PIN AREAS MUCH BETTER, LOOKS VERY WELL, I ALSO PURCHASED THE NEW BILLET SHELBY HOOD PIN KIT, LOOKS VERY COOL, GET THE ONES THAT ARE ENGRAVED SHELBY, LOOK VERY GOOD.

YES, MY FRIEND PULLED OUT A GOLD COLOR CHART, THEY ARE A SLIGHTLY FLAT COLOR OF GOLD, VERY LITTLE FLAKE IN IT, IF YOU WANT I WILL GET THE COLOR CODE FROM HIM, MATCHED UP EXTREMELY WELL, I LEFT ON THE ORIGINAL SIDE STICKERS AND CLEARED THE WHOLE CAR, I WILL PICK IT UP LATER THIS WEEK, IT FEELS SO MUCH SMOOTHER AND WILL WAX UP MUCH BETTER...ALSO MY HOOD WAS STARTING TO SPIDER CRACK AROUND THE LEFT SIDE PIN HOLE, AND WHILE HE WAS SANDING UP THE WHOLE HOOD, HE SHOWED ME THE MAJOR STRESS CRACKS ON THE INNER LEFT SIDE OF THE INDENTATION OF THE HOOD, MY FRIEND REDID THE WHOLE HOOD AND REINFORCED THE HOOD PIN AREAS MUCH BETTER, LOOKS VERY WELL, I ALSO PURCHASED THE NEW BILLET SHELBY HOOD PIN KIT, LOOKS VERY COOL, GET THE ONES THAT ARE ENGRAVED SHELBY, LOOK VERY GOOD.

Hey Steveo, do you have any pics of your car with the painted on stripes I would like to see them, im thinking of painting mine on.also what is the paint code and brand of paint, John

• 2 weeks later...

2 very nice, simple and inexpensive mods I did were the chrome trim kit for the tailights and the stainless trim pieces for the 1/4 windows. The tailight kit is available from Texas Mustang (& SAI) and the 1/4 window trim is sold by CJ Mustangs. Both kits are easy to install as attached by very effective 3M adhesive and they dramatically change look of the car!!!! These 2 mods really get the car closer to the original 66 car appearance. Surprised these were not picked up by Shelby.

Archived