TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My SGT arrived at SAI today?

Strawman

I have ordered an '08 SGT from Randy Wilson at Barbee's Freeway Ford in Denver (I live in Florida). It is a fully loaded, automatic convertible. I plan on having SAI "run it through the garden" as it were, with regards to mods, including the Paxton S/C (I'm not allowed a Whipple). According the the Norfolk Southern Rail info, the car was scheduled for delivery today (9/25) to SAI. And, for the first time, the SAI site today shows info on this VIN, saying "Enroute to Shelby Automobiles*". I think the car did arrive today? So, anyone for a guess as to the date my car leaves SAI? Forever the optimist, I hope to see it delivered down my chimney, but the pragmatist in me says its more likely to show up in a basket.

I have ordered an '08 SGT from Randy Wilson at Barbee's Freeway Ford in Denver (I live in Florida). It is a fully loaded, automatic convertible. I plan on having SAI "run it through the garden" as it were, with regards to mods, including the Paxton S/C (I'm not allowed a Whipple). According the the Norfolk Southern Rail info, the car was scheduled for delivery today (9/25) to SAI. And, for the first time, the SAI site today shows info on this VIN, saying "Enroute to Shelby Automobiles*". I think the car did arrive today? So, anyone for a guess as to the date my car leaves SAI? Forever the optimist, I hope to see it delivered down my chimney, but the pragmatist in me says its more likely to show up in a basket.

Congrads!

Less than a year to go! :D

Sometime next year,. I'd say April.

Sometime next year,. I'd say April.

Be nice guys.

Strawman; congrats on your new Shelby and welcome to the forum and family.

The best way to find out the progress of your car is to communicate with John Walker and Bud Mahoney. John runs the SGT operations program and Bud runs the Mod Shop. Search this forum for their emails and phone numbers. There is a pinned post at the top of this forum where you can ask them questions and when they get a chance, they reply. They are often overwhelmed so don't take it personal if they don't immediately respond.

Many of us went through the agony of waiting for our cars for months. I say agony because it had taken about 5-9 months for many of us to get them (the ones that got mods). Those without mods likely got their cars within about 3 months of ordering. We jokingly call the agony and anticipation; SPDS for Shelby Pre-Delivery Stress disorder (or something like that). Unless you experience the agony, it is difficult for anyone to understand. The great SAI people know that most of us are Shelby Crazy and they really do their best to make our dreams come true.

The 5-9 month timeframe had been in part because many cars were ordered before the mod shop was opened so the cars sat in the SAI lot and added up. Also, parts were an issue whether they were in short supply or not manufactured yet. Naturally, with any new program, it took some time to work out some of the kinks.

Some good people couldn't stand the wait any longer and had their cars shipped without mods. They will likely get their mods done another time by either SAI or one of the regional mod shops being opened throughout the country. Tasca Ford in RI has already been signed as the first; beginning their mods next month.

Most of what I mentioned was for the 2007 SGT program where all was new. With the 2008 SGT program now underway, new mod shops opening and SAI moving main production people over to the mod shop, SAI has remove many of the kinks (including production and parts issues) so your car should have a much faster processing time than ours.

You'll also find on this forum that people say the car will be worth the wait. When you're going through the agony, you won't believe them. I was one of the people that was going nuts over the wait but I did believe them. Fortunately, I had taken several trips to SAI. One trip, they allowed me to drive my car since it was registered, insured and it was mine. That was an awesome experience and it helped tremendously with the wait. Trust me, not only is the car worth the wait, but you honestly will forget the painful feeling of agony afterwards.

This gives me an opportunity to mention a little more about the program. I am at SAI again this week. This is my 4th visit total. One was a museum tour in January, 2006 – well before I knew I would own a Shelby and before I learned of the SGT. Two visits (May and July) were when my car was at SAI and this visit is just to see some SAI friends (I'm here for work-related conference). Anyway, I wanted to take this opportunity to explain more of the mod shop. I got to hang out with one of the mod shop guys after the place was closed down the other day. I got an even better understanding of the program. Most of what they do is all hand fabrication. Unlike the main production shop where they have dozens of people replacing parts (I don't want to minimize them, they do work hard too), the few mod shop guys make many of their parts by hand and then install them by themselves. What might take 2 guys per car to replace some parts to convert the Mustang into a Shelby in a few hours/days, it takes one guy to do mods for several days/weeks (depends on the mods). It is really amazing what they do there. For some of the parts, they have to make the molds first before they can even make the parts. And, as one would expect, they would rather take longer to make a car right before they send it out with any issues.

So, communicate with the SAI guys, find another hobby to help get through these eager days and good luck to you. Also, yesterday after leaving SAI I saw a truckload of SGT's leaving the train en route to SAI. Although there were many making that trip, it would be wild if one that I saw was yours.

I say that you should have yours finished around late January..just a guess from talking to Bud

at SAI last week when I visted for the first time

congrats on the car should be an awesome ride, I would say this tho have all of the mods done while

it is there, the wait will be worth it, instaed of on a wait list to take the car back to them for mods

as I am doing now

Archived