TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Q for guys with riveted scoops.

stump_breaker

At the end of the day what will happen is this will get kicked around for over a year trying this and that to save the existing scoops, it wont fix everyones issue, Ford and SAI will have thousands and thousands of dollars in service costs and lost reputation and they will then get class actioned and have to make a scoop out of the right material and contour anyway so why not skip the p*ssing people off part that we are doing now??!

Based on what I've heard on here from various owners, I have to agree. I don't think this problem is going to lend itself to a cheap solution. The obvious solution seems to make the scoop out of better material (fiber glass or aluminum?).

In the interim, just build and sell them without scoops.

Make an anouncement that "Our design of the scoop is flawed and repeated attempt to correct it haven't been successful. As such, we not offer the SGT with the hood scoop until we successfully find a long term solution".

JMO

The scoop does not fit the hood properly. I have seen a few with the "fix" official or whqatever we are calling it these days. Yes it clamps the scoop down to the hood but it leavs a wrinkle on both sides. Why you ask??! Because the contour of the scoop isnt the same as the hood. And I dont want to hear how the hoods are different. No offense to anyone who makes that statement but when Ford builds a tool to press form a hood for I would guess a few hundred grand Im betting that it is right and very repeatable. The scoop tooling on the other hand I have my doubts.

This statement is correct I picked up mine up end of August and the scoops old problem is fixed and works well. That being said the scoop now has a new issue is does not fit the hood so there is a wrinkle or wave that forms about a third of the way up the scoop and acroos the scoop not that noticeable to the public when they look at the car but as a owner you cant help but look at it all the time. Also i found that when I claybar and Zaino the scoop the problem really became noticeable as the shine increased.

I also would like to make the statement that what people may think as a flaw now could be considered "typical" and in the future when someone copys the scoop it wont have the "flaw" and you will know it is a fake. (just my.02)

SHELBYGUY

Thats the wrinkle I was referring to. I saw it on the 2 scoops I have seen that are rivoted down. The material could still be a plastic and not fiberglass or aluminum, to reduce cost. It just needs to be a different material than the one being used currently. A fiber reinforced material for instance. We arent the ones who will be making the decisions unfortunately.

Thats the wrinkle I was referring to. I saw it on the 2 scoops I have seen that are rivoted down. The material could still be a plastic and not fiberglass or aluminum, to reduce cost. It just needs to be a different material than the one being used currently. A fiber reinforced material for instance. We arent the ones who will be making the decisions unfortunately.

Maybe the final solution will be to live with the defects or get a new hood w/o the Shelby scoop? I doubt seriously that SAI will spend a lot of money on this issue in hope that dissatisfied customers give up.

Maybe the final solution will be to live with the defects or get a new hood w/o the Shelby scoop? I doubt seriously that SAI will spend a lot of money on this issue in hope that dissatisfied customers give up.

Some of the AC/Shelby Cobras come with a metal scoop like ours on a hood FAR MORE curved. Others come with a similar look in an intergral hood. Either way, I can see someone stepping up and creating a replacement, unless legally prevented from doing so, and making a lot of money. As for scoop delete, again you can by a factory painted hood (white or black) from tackeoffparts.com for $499. A great deal painted! Store your Shelby scoop hood and stripe the standard hood. They even have the CA special Edition hood, though I think that scoop is too small...but that's me!

I can't understand why they are still trying to fix this problem. Obviously, SAI didn't extrude or form these plastic pieces in house. Why can't they recall the scoops and send them back to the manufacturer as defective products? Then they can either get properly designed products from that manufacturer or get their money back and find one who can do the job. It is not the attachment that is causing the problem. It is the defective scoop. It's not like there is a science to attaching non-functioning asthetic body panels.

Ford and SAI will have thousands and thousands of dollars in service costs and lost reputation and they will then get class actioned and have to make a scoop out of the right material and contour anyway so why not skip the p*ssing people off part that we are doing now??!

Yep I am irritated with the whole thing and out of patience if you cant tell :)

Yup, I'm out of patience, and I'd be up for a class action at this point.

Fix the scoop. I don't see why I should go in for multiple fixes that do not work just to prove a point.

I find it unbelievable they went into 2008 production with the same exsisting problem and scoop.

Insanity - Doing the same thing over, and over again, with the same undesirable results.

I can't understand why they are still trying to fix this problem. Obviously, SAI didn't extrude or form these plastic pieces in house. Why can't they recall the scoops and send them back to the manufacturer as defective products? Then they can either get properly designed products from that manufacturer or get their money back and find one who can do the job. It is not the attachment that is causing the problem. It is the defective scoop. It's not like there is a science to attaching non-functioning asthetic body panels.

They didnt build the scoop but someone would have had to sign off on the tool after they made proto's. There generally is an approval process and someone didnt follow thourhg I can only assume. I just cannot see someone putting this scoop on a hood and saying "fits like a glove". I am not lookiing to blame anyone anyway, just to get it fixed the RIGHT way and not waste our time and energy and in the end it will save SAI time and energy.

Went to make the apointment for my first replacment scoop and found #33 there in the back in the same shop for its 4th scoop!!!! :(

I think by this point I would either find a direct number for Mr. Shelby or find a way to make a trip to SAI.

i see gaps between my scoop and hood...but i thought that was just normal.... i can see on the back of the scoop when i am driving and noticed that there is daylight in the corners. i guess the rivets are fake? hehe

anyway none of it really bothers me...i guess i'm not too concerned about details...i can always have someone fabricate one from aluminum and weld it on th....nevermind :P

They didnt build the scoop but someone would have had to sign off on the tool after they made proto's. There generally is an approval process and someone didnt follow thourhg I can only assume. I just cannot see someone putting this scoop on a hood and saying "fits like a glove". I am not lookiing to blame anyone anyway, just to get it fixed the RIGHT way and not waste our time and energy and in the end it will save SAI time and energy.

I'm a tile/stone mason.....and most of the material I install has a disclaimer. It generally says,"once installed,claims cannot be submitted".

In the same regards,if SAI was aware of a problem,they could have rejected the scoop/s,until the problem was rectified. I predict both parties will be held responsible,as SAI wasn't fully aware of the potential expansion and contraction issues. I also believe the mounting surface of the scoop,is too deep/protrudes too far down,and only helps the scoop lift/deform on the outer ridges.

I've been waiting for a solution from SAI,as far as my wifes scoop. I too am getting a little impatience,as the lack of communication is disheartening. Last I've heard on this board is,The riveted scoop isn't authorized by SAI,and a solution is in the works. Has anyone recieved word via SAI,what the solution is,and if so,is there a timeframe?

I'll leave it at that as,I understand a tad bout business,and said practices.

P.S. ... Speed kills!

Look at the bright side...we are all part of automotive history now. Years from now the Shelby books will report that our cars had an issue with the hood scoops, and that many owners were upset, and that many owners did this or that to try and correct the problem and finally Shelby provided a fix. Then there will be some Shelbys with the original hood scoop as it came from the factory, which will command a little higher price at Barrett's Auction....

I'm a tile/stone mason.....and most of the material I install has a disclaimer. It generally says,"once installed,claims cannot be submitted".

Well let's see if I can't hijack my hijacked thread.

Auto, you got any words of wisdom for a rookie tiler who DESPISES grouting because it's so tedious?

I have the flat surfaces done as of now but I am about to start on the kitchen backsplashes. Grouting is killing me.

How long should I wait before wiping? All I get is smear, smear, smear......

When we grouted the island my wife actually used a cake decorator to apply the grout in the cracks to try and alleviate some of the mess.

I did learn that I don't need to use any acid products to release grout residue on the tiles. After about 24 hours, Dawn soap and the scrubby side of a sponge with gentle pressure worked great to my amazement.

I'm not a big fan of dealers, but in this case I don't know that I can blame them. They are smart enough to know that if they rivet it on, there is a good chance of an alignment issue. Then, I wonder if the dealer screws it up if they are responsbile for the damage.

Come on Shelby, step up.

I agree. This has been going on way too long. Lets get them fixed for good and get this put behind us.

Life is too short. Come on Shelby, step up.

Well let's see if I can't hijack my hijacked thread.

Auto, you got any words of wisdom for a rookie tiler who DESPISES grouting because it's so tedious?

I have the flat surfaces done as of now but I am about to start on the kitchen backsplashes. Grouting is killing me.

How long should I wait before wiping? All I get is smear, smear, smear......

When we grouted the island my wife actually used a cake decorator to apply the grout in the cracks to try and alleviate some of the mess.

I did learn that I don't need to use any acid products to release grout residue on the tiles. After about 24 hours, Dawn soap and the scrubby side of a sponge with gentle pressure worked great to my amazement.

First off,what tile/stone are you using? Second,if the grout joints are 1/8th" or bigger,you need to use sanded grout. More info please,and I'll be more than happy to offer guidance.

Lastly,hire a pro ;)

P.S. ... worked at Jaguar dealer here in town today,and they have some awesome AMERICAN muscle cars,for sale. I was droolin over the 71 Vette,with LT1 engine,and the 66 GOAT,all original!

First off,what tile/stone are you using? Second,if the grout joints are 1/8th" or bigger,you need to use sanded grout. More info please,and I'll be more than happy to offer guidance.

Lastly,hire a pro ;)

P.S. ... worked at Jaguar dealer here in town today,and they have some awesome AMERICAN muscle cars,for sale. I was droolin over the 71 Vette,with LT1 engine,and the 66 GOAT,all original!

I like the whole "hire a pro" approach but my wallet screams uncle everytime I do! :lol:

I'm just using a basic tan colored 12x12 tile with 1/4" gaps and a red brick color sanded grout.

I've been told over and over, just have patience. Not a virtue of mine.

On my back splashes I cut the tile into 4ish x 4ish (not quite 4" but close enough) squares and then took a hammer to several other pieces and shattered them and arranged the shattered pieces between the tile. The contrast looks really good. If I can ever get it finished I'm going to have to post a pic. I'm pretty proud of it for my first time!

Archived