TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Q for guys with riveted scoops.

stump_breaker

It doesnt look like the 8 bolts are there. The hood liner is obviously there and I really dont want to pull that off. I did just notice my hood liner doesnt have a cut out in the middle like some of the older numbered SGT's Ive seen. Last one I saw was numbered somewhere in the higher 400's and it looked like they cut out part of the hood liner to install the scoop.

It doesnt look like the 8 bolts are there. The hood liner is obviously there and I really dont want to pull that off. I did just notice my hood liner doesnt have a cut out in the middle like some of the older numbered SGT's Ive seen. Last one I saw was numbered somewhere in the higher 400's and it looked like they cut out part of the hood liner to install the scoop.

Thanks. I was thinking about it last night as I prepare to file another claim on my scoop and was wondering if the bolts were removed to allow more flex in the scoop.

Thanks. I was thinking about it last night as I prepare to file another claim on my scoop and was wondering if the bolts were removed to allow more flex in the scoop.

Did you have rivets installed? :huh: Has an "official" fix been announced or are you doing this under the so called interim "your own risk" fix? I would think that using the bolts to hold the scoop while the rivets are being installed makes sense, but then remove them when it's done.

Did you have rivets installed? :huh: Has an "official" fix been announced or are you doing this under the so called interim "your own risk" fix? I would think that using the bolts to hold the scoop while the rivets are being installed makes sense, but then remove them when it's done.

I'm just putting in a new claim because paint is trying to come off and has bubbled and cracked around the front two top rivet/bolts. I guess the paint had not cured long enough.

I was just curious about the bottom bolts. I know nothing of any "fix" being official.

Thinking about it though it makes sense to remove the bottom bolts before riveting since the bottom bolts will pull and spread the scoop. If you remove the bottom bolts after riveting, eventually the memory of the scoop pulling on the rivets may cause trouble. It would install better in a relaxed state while not pulling the rivets tight. Same way if someone were going to replace the rivets with bolts. Or so is my thinking but then I'm not a body man.....

Hey All,

I just did a new Hood Scoop yesterday, and it is only better by a slim margin. It would appear they added some bolts and a few real rivets.

My dealer is going to call Shelby, I do not think the actual fix is a fix as yet, I want to guess they will rivit the scoop on in multiple spots, a guess of course, there's always Elmers, Gorilla Glue, Super Glue, Tape, Gum, and the ole famous stand by, Duct Tape.

So, anyone having the new and improved Scoop installed may want to wait, cause its only new and improved, because its new. Add some injury to my insult, my dealer installed it crooked, man, 40K and they still don't Give a Sh___.

Hey All,

I just did a new Hood Scoop yesterday, and it is only better by a slim margin. It would appear they added some bolts and a few real rivets.

My dealer is going to call Shelby, I do not think the actual fix is a fix as yet, I want to guess they will rivit the scoop on in multiple spots, a guess of course, there's always Elmers, Gorilla Glue, Super Glue, Tape, Gum, and the ole famous stand by, Duct Tape.

So, anyone having the new and improved Scoop installed may want to wait, cause its only new and improved, because its new. Add some injury to my insult, my dealer installed it crooked, man, 40K and they still don't Give a Sh___.

I'm shocked - Ford Dealers that don't care?

Shelby - Listen up, you are letting a freeking hood scoop issue put a big damper at a minimum on peoples satisfaction.

I'm holding off, I suggest others do the same.

Shelby - Fix the <bleep> scoop. It's not just getting the right scoop, it is ensuring it's done right (Ford dealers...yikes!)

I'm shocked - Ford Dealers that don't care?

Shelby - Listen up, you are letting a freeking hood scoop issue put a big damper at a minimum on peoples satisfaction.

I'm holding off, I suggest others do the same.

Shelby - Fix the <bleep> scoop. It's not just getting the right scoop, it is ensuring it's done right (Ford dealers...yikes!)

+ 1x10 to the million power. sheesh!

Come on guys, I understand the exasperation but please don't turn this into a bashing thread. I was just asking a question.

Have faith. A fix is coming. It has been foretold by the prophets....

Stump, no offense, but maybe if SAI would chime in here (HINT SAI), and give us the latest SCOOP on the scoop, people would calm down. As you may recall, Ms. Amy posted a couple of months ago a permanent fix would be released the following week, and our dealers would have the fix. As you may know, that fix she announced never happened. Well, fast forward two months, and there has been no fix or posted SAI update on any of the boards, only rumor and speculation. So, is SAI skirting the issue? I hope they are not. As the old saying goes, perception is reality. I posted weeks ago for an update from SAI, but nobody from SAI has responded.

Just my 2 cents.

Stump, no offense, but maybe if SAI would chime in here (HINT SAI), and give us the latest SCOOP on the scoop, people would calm down. As you may recall, Ms. Amy posted a couple of months ago a permanent fix would be released the following week, and our dealers would have the fix. As you may know, that fix she announced never happened. Well, fast forward two months, and there has been no fix or posted SAI update on any of the boards, only rumor and speculation. So, is SAI skirting the issue? I hope they are not. As the old saying goes, perception is reality. I posted weeks ago for an update from SAI, but nobody from SAI has responded.

Just my 2 cents.

Stump is only looking for info pertaining to his scoop. If we continue to speak our mind and ask questions on here, this thread might be locked. Or worse, the forum might be removed all together, almost as if SAI doesnt want us to have any info. But they wouldnt do that. They do want to keep us updated, or do they?

Hey SAI guys n gals, Im kidding. Pretty please let me keep my login.

Come on guys, I understand the exasperation but please don't turn this into a bashing thread. I was just asking a question.

Have faith. A fix is coming. It has been foretold by the prophets....

I don't believe I bashed anyone. Unless the truth is bashing.

1. Is it widely known that a good portion of Ford dealers service is less than desirable?

2. Has this hood scoop issue been known for a good 8-9 months now?

3. Have we been told that a fix is coming, only to have various fixes thrown out there from authorized, to unauthorized, to who knows what?

4. Has communication been poor on this issue?

Look it's a great, fun car as most of us will attest. But why should we sit and be quiet when the issue still stands, and there is little information forthcoming from Shelby.

It's a 40k car, it's still fun to drive, but this is putting a downer on an otherwise great car. When the US automakers complain about market share, customer service and doing things right and quickly should be a part of it.

No doubt the folks at Shelby are nice folks with some good ideas. When I've gotten a hold of someone (at times daunting) they are always very nice.

So I'm not bashing them, but I am questioning why this is taking so long, and if it really is going to happen.

So I'm not bashing them, but I am questioning why this is taking so long, and if it really is going to happen.

One of the bad things about being newer on the boards is you haven't got a chance to go through the oooooodles and ooooodles of conversations about the stripes, scoops, undercar rattles, and messed up do-ma-hickies that has been beat to death and resulted in locked threads, arguments and so forth. SAI does have a fix but it is not released as of yet for whatever reason. It (about 99.9% sure) will be a rivet fix and obviously involves removing the bottom bolts but as I found out when I tried the fix myself, there are unknown factors involved with riveting the scoop so it will take time to be sure the fix is an actual and true fix. Like I said before I understand the frustration as I am one of the humped up, does-not-sit-flat-on-the-hood scoops and it looks really cheap - it's a main sore spot with me - but it has been stated time and time again it will be taken care of. I admit it has been a long time coming but it is coming. Most of the time whenever I have asked of these guys (SAI) to help, they have. Both Doug and Bud. I have never dealt with any one else so I can't comment one way or the other.

Do what is supposed to be done. As exasperating as it can be, call the SAI #, send the pics and do the warranty claim and continue to do the claim until it is to your liking. That is the way to be a squeaky wheel. After thousands of claims come in, something will get done because eventually it will start carving out a chunk in SAI's pocket book. Getting upset and posting the same thing over and over again in a public forum just gets you labeled.

I just do not want this thread to turn angry and get moderated and/or locked and it was never meant to turn into yet another "let's bash the scoop and fix" thread.

That's all I'm going to say about it. This post is not done out of anger. I'm just passing on what I have learned since being here.

Remember, about 2 years ago SAI was ~ 6 million in debt, way behind on orders and on the verge of not existing. CS asked Amy to step in and save the company. She and her team have really turned the company around to a profitable business with a lot of work both present and future. I'm not e-sucking up but that is pretty phenomenal.

Here is the thing Stump. I've actually been a member and following threads for quite some time now, about February if I'm not mistaken.

Just some thoughts, again, not out of anger.

I don't have the time to take tons of pictures, file claims, and leave my car at the dealer. Furthermore, my big concern is that I could end up with a WORSE situation as many have who have had fixes done so far. I view leaving the car at the dealer multiple times as increases the chances something gets screwed up. Call me jaded, but my level of trust in dealers is pretty low.

My bigger concern again, is ending up with a situation that is worse. I don't really want to carve money out of SAI in filing a bunch of claims, I just want it done quickly and right which shouldn't be a big thing to ask.

My biggest concern, particularly with the rivet fix is that that is pretty permanent, drilling more holes in my hood isn't all that appealing, particularly when there may not be a warranty?

Again, I just want it fixed. I feel right now my only way to express this from time to time is to get on the boards here.

I think we all really want the same 2 things.

1. Consistent, clear communication from SAI

2. A long lasting, correct fix.

I respect what you are saying, but I think I just see it a bit different.

Here is the thing Stump. I've actually been a member and following threads for quite some time now, about February if I'm not mistaken.

Just some thoughts, again, not out of anger.

I don't have the time to take tons of pictures, file claims, and leave my car at the dealer. Furthermore, my big concern is that I could end up with a WORSE situation as many have who have had fixes done so far. I view leaving the car at the dealer multiple times as increases the chances something gets screwed up. Call me jaded, but my level of trust in dealers is pretty low.

My bigger concern again, is ending up with a situation that is worse. I don't really want to carve money out of SAI in filing a bunch of claims, I just want it done quickly and right which shouldn't be a big thing to ask.

My biggest concern, particularly with the rivet fix is that that is pretty permanent, drilling more holes in my hood isn't all that appealing, particularly when there may not be a warranty?

Again, I just want it fixed. I feel right now my only way to express this from time to time is to get on the boards here.

I think we all really want the same 2 things.

1. Consistent, clear communication from SAI

2. A long lasting, correct fix.

I respect what you are saying, but I think I just see it a bit different.

Here is a update that I just received from Amy.

Today, 10:55 AM Post #3

StangsUnleashed Enthusiast

Group: Shelby Q&A Moderator

Member No.: 6,435

Heres the issue I have right now, we have a fix, but many dealers can't do the fix or wont take the chance to do the fix. I can send out the rivits if you want to do it, or have a body shop do it, but it wont be a warrentied fix if the dealers won't do it.

So, we are looking at another method to send to the dealers. The rivits is what we are using as the upgraded method for the 08 model

Amy

--------------------

"You can't grab the brass ring, sitting in the swan"

UPDATE: Proud Owner of a Brand new 2007 Grabber Orange GT500

I was born a chevy girl, so I own a 71 chevelle convertible, red with black stripes.....

Then in my new life as a Ford Girl, 52 Ford pickup , yellow of course..I have 2, 2006 Mustangs, one is a black convertible, One blue, coupe. I also own a Shelby Series 1 because I think it's the best Shelby ever, just my opinion :)

Unbelievable. Here's my opinion, as we all have one. First off the rivot fix is half a*sed. The scoop does not fit the hood properly. I have seen a few with the "fix" official or whqatever we are calling it these days. Yes it clamps the scoop down to the hood but it leavs a wrinkle on both sides. Why you ask??! Because the contour of the scoop isnt the same as the hood. And I dont want to hear how the hoods are different. No offense to anyone who makes that statement but when Ford builds a tool to press form a hood for I would guess a few hundred grand Im betting that it is right and very repeatable. The scoop tooling on the other hand I have my doubts.

What should happen IMO to fix this and it wont be cheap but it is the RIGHT THING TO DO. Send the hood out to be laser scanned. It is technology that is available and it isnt hugely expensive. Send several cars out to do this. There are plenty on the lot collecting dust as we speak. Compare the scans and weed out any minor imperfections. I doubt there would be any but anyway. Then create a 3d drawing of the scoop using the exact contour of the hood as the bottom of the scoop. Have a machine shop build a few proto's out of sheet material to verify the design. Now once that is done have the existing injection molding tool modified, if it can be. If it cant be, build a new one. Shoot new scoops and send out to be replaced. I realize that this process could cost SAI a million dollars or slightly more but it is money well spent. I cant imagine that what is being spent by Ford right now is any cheaper. And they dont need the negative PR. Ford in fact should demand it but they wont.

Heres the issue I have right now, we have a fix, but many dealers can't do the fix or wont take the chance to do the fix. I can send out the rivits if you want to do it, or have a body shop do it, but it wont be a warrentied fix if the dealers won't do it.

So, we are looking at another method to send to the dealers. The rivits is what we are using as the upgraded method for the 08 model

Amy

--------------------

WOW! Anyone care to speculate what they are working on that the dealer WILL do? I think a threaded insert like "rivnuts" would be easier for the dealer to do. Then they could just use screws. Other than this all I can think of is another scoop design?

Amy

--------------------

I was born a chevy girl, so I own a 71 chevelle convertible, red with black stripes.....

Then in my new life as a Ford Girl, 52 Ford pickup , yellow of course..I have 2, 2006 Mustangs, one is a black convertible, One blue, coupe. I also own a Shelby Series 1 because I think it's the best Shelby ever, just my opinion :)

Dear Amy: second scoop is coming off ;(, will be calling the Ford dealer Monday, a lady friend of mine has a 2007 mustang gt ;( anyway she had the hood pins put on ,that just stick to the hood,, ,,tape made by 3 M, well ,one of the pins is off a little ,, IT WILL NOT COME OFF !!! Has shelby tried this 3-M tape ?? just asking !!

Amy

--------------------

Dear Amy: second scoop is coming off ;(, will be calling the Ford dealer Monday, a lady friend of mine has a 2007 mustang gt ;( anyway she had the hood pins put on ,that just stick to the hood,, ,,tape made by 3 M, well ,one of the pins is off a little ,, IT WILL NOT COME OFF !!! Has shelby tried this 3-M tape ?? just asking !!

I have some 3M tape we use at work that is very thin and is unbelievably strong. If some screws are added to the back corners of the scoop (like the two on the front) in conjunction with this tape (cutting out the silver stripe where necessary to for the tape to make contact with the paint), I think it might work.

Sounds like Webba has a good fix. I highly doubt they will go for that until they try the rivits, tape, screws, bubblegum, super glue and everythint else that only costs a few bucks.

My scoop fits just about perfect when it is sitting in the sun and heat for a while! However, just as soon as I start driving the back of the scoop starts to lift. What I believe is happening is while the cooling air is going over the hood and scoop, scoop and hood are changing temperature at different rates because of their different internal capacities to store heat. This along with their different thermal expansion rates, causes dimension changes. Thus, the scoop changes its dimensions to a shape that is different than the hood.

So if it fits under one temperature condition, it may not fit under another. Thus the solution is fixing the mating surfaces so that they don't move with respect to each other (screws, rivets, tape, etc.).

My scoop fits just about perfect when it is sitting in the sun and heat for a while! However, just as soon as I start driving the back of the scoop starts to lift. What I believe is happening is while the cooling air is going over the hood and scoop, scoop and hood are changing temperature at different rates because of their different internal capacities to store heat. This along with their different thermal expansion rates, causes dimension changes. Thus, the scoop changes its dimensions to a shape that is different than the hood.

So if it fits under one temperature condition, it may not fit under another. Thus the solution is fixing the mating surfaces so that they don't move with respect to each other (screws, rivets, tape, etc.).

Partially correct. If you wind down a plastic that is moving all over all it is going to do is eventually crack and lift. The material is not the right kind to begin with IMO. It expands and contracts at a very high rate. Probably a pvc or abs blend. Mine moves all over just sitting in the sun, with the engine cold. So we dont even need the heated engine to make it happen. And now that it is getting colder in the mornings it would amaze you to see how much mine is lifting. I cant wait until the middle of winter to see this thing and it isnt even rivoted. At the end of the day what will happen is this will get kicked around for over a year trying this and that to save the existing scoops, it wont fix everyones issue, Ford and SAI will have thousands and thousands of dollars in service costs and lost reputation and they will then get class actioned and have to make a scoop out of the right material and contour anyway so why not skip the p*ssing people off part that we are doing now??!

Yep I am irritated with the whole thing and out of patience if you cant tell :)

Partially correct. If you wind down a plastic that is moving all over all it is going to do is eventually crack and lift. The material is not the right kind to begin with IMO. It expands and contracts at a very high rate. Probably a pvc or abs blend. Mine moves all over just sitting in the sun, with the engine cold. So we dont even need the heated engine to make it happen. And now that it is getting colder in the mornings it would amaze you to see how much mine is lifting. I cant wait until the middle of winter to see this thing and it isnt even rivoted. At the end of the day what will happen is this will get kicked around for over a year trying this and that to save the existing scoops, it wont fix everyones issue, Ford and SAI will have thousands and thousands of dollars in service costs and lost reputation and they will then get class actioned and have to make a scoop out of the right material and contour anyway so why not skip the p*ssing people off part that we are doing now??!

Yep I am irritated with the whole thing and out of patience if you cant tell :)

You better be nice or you will be censored and this link shut-down for speaking the truth. You need to drink more kool-aid. :) Just kidding... ;)

Archived