TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Recommended Motor Oil Weight

69dejavue

Someone on this site posted a photo of an underhood decal from SAI re the recommended motor oil for the Shelby GT. The decal stated 5 W-30. I know the recommended weight from Ford is 5 W -20. My question is SAI changing the oil to 5W-30 at SAI, since Fprd is not. Is this the recommended weight for our vehicles now? Warranty ?

07SGT

I personally will go by whatever the Shelby Supplement & Owner's Manual state...but even beyond that, it'll be whatever my dealer is putting in it during the warranty period because I am having them do all the work during that time so there is no question...anyway, all my maintenance is free for 3 years (part of my deal)...

I personally will go by whatever the Shelby Supplement & Owner's Manual state...but even beyond that, it'll be whatever my dealer is putting in it during the warranty period because I am having them do all the work during that time so there is no question...anyway, all my maintenance is free for 3 years (part of my deal)...

Guess I got the screw job from Jason on that one. :o

SAI didn't build the engine FORD did. FORD also is the one warranting (warrantying? however you say it) the engine. I would go (and I do) with FORD's recommendations - 5w-20 blend.

After all it's right on the cap. Seems if SAI was serious about 5w30 and concerned with failure or warranty problems, they would have changed the cap since that could be a liability issue.

Besides, Bud already said do the FORD recommendation.

"Hi all,

I spoke to the techs and they are recommending exactly what the oil cap says---5w20. Using regular oil or synthetic is up to you. But, once you use synthetic oil, I would not recommend switching back to regular oil later down the road.

Bud"

Archived