TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Problems with Superchargers

shelbyteam

There's alot of interest in supercharger upgrades, so I thought I'd call Livernois in Detroit and ask a few questions about there experience with them. My concern is when installing a power adder such as a supercharger, what else should you upgrade. They recommended changing out the clutch, transmission, shifter, and driveshaft. They were absolutely sure that the factory drivetrain would not be able to hold up to the added power and I have to agree. It also voids the factory warranty and they also said that the tune has been different in the few cars they have S/C and that the only way to get the tune right is on a dyno. What do you think?

If calling a installing performance shop their experince has a lot to do with recommendation. Also it helps their bottom line. It depends on the intended use of the vehicle. The driveshaft is a weak link and should be replaced for a high power upgrade. The clutch is a security blanket upgrade. The shifter in a Shelby GT is a Hurst don't know of any better upgrade that comes standard. The transmission will handle up to 500 hp.

There has been much discussion as 69shelby stated on the forum. Just type in the search box and I'm sure you will see various opinions and experiences.

I have an S/C and have not noticed any clutch slippage at all. Only have about 1000 miles so far so it might be too early.

My understanding is that, the bottom end is good for around 450 RWHP. After that your on borrowed time.

It's all in the tune though. If you get the tune where it needs to be and you don't get greedy with the power level, you should have no problems engine wise. As far as the rest of the parts on the car, it will depend on how much and how often you abuse it. They are going to wear out faster then normal but then again, thats up to the driver and how its drivin. :)

Lots of guys on here run SC's and the only problem I hear them talk about is the muscle cramps in their faces from smiling so much.

The automatic's are weaker but according to Kenne Bell 475 hp is no problem for these cars. Most here are well above that mark.

I have a buddy that supercharged a fox body with an auto-he put a shift kit in the tranny and it ran strong with the automatic. My personal preference is the only mustangs that should be autos ar the convertibles

Archived