TEAM SHELBY FORUM

#2082 at the track

ccstinger

Well, thanks to a friend of mine, I was able to take my SGT out on the track at the Autobahn Country Club (http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/) in Joliet, Illinois this past weekend. Have to say I had a blast with the car. First, I had to get tested out. I was slow at first, but then came up to speed. Once I passed the test, I was allowed out on the track on my own. I was pushing the car through the corners squealing the tires, pushing out all the way to the rumble strips. There were a couple of high-speed corners where the car just drifted out - all four wheels, to the rumble strips. In the longest straight, I was able to get it up to about 105 MPH in third gear before hitting the brakes. After about 20 laps, the rear end started to get loose and the breaks seemed to be fading, so I brought it in. I was pretty amazed that I did not get any oversteer on the course. The weakest part of the car seemed to be the breaks - I had to break far before the corner, and in a few corners I was hitting the breaks so late that the anti-lock kicked in. I need bigger breaks :-) All in all, a great day. I have a few pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/12467939@N03/.

By the way, at lunch the track opened up for touring laps - i.e. anybody can drive on the course one-by-one. A Shelby GT-H went by - I wanted to stop and say hi and get some pictures, but he left after a lap on the course. Not someone from the forums by any chance?

Well, thanks to a friend of mine, I was able to take my SGT out on the track at the Autobahn Country Club (http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/) in Joliet, Illinois this past weekend. Have to say I had a blast with the car. First, I had to get tested out. I was slow at first, but then came up to speed. Once I passed the test, I was allowed out on the track on my own. I was pushing the car through the corners squealing the tires, pushing out all the way to the rumble strips. There were a couple of high-speed corners where the car just drifted out - all four wheels, to the rumble strips. In the longest straight, I was able to get it up to about 105 MPH in third gear before hitting the brakes. After about 20 laps, the rear end started to get loose and the breaks seemed to be fading, so I brought it in. I was pretty amazed that I did not get any oversteer on the course. The weakest part of the car seemed to be the breaks - I had to break far before the corner, and in a few corners I was hitting the breaks so late that the anti-lock kicked in. I need bigger breaks :-) All in all, a great day. I have a few pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/12467939@N03/.

By the way, at lunch the track opened up for touring laps - i.e. anybody can drive on the course one-by-one. A Shelby GT-H went by - I wanted to stop and say hi and get some pictures, but he left after a lap on the course. Not someone from the forums by any chance?

Stinger,

great write up...were you on north or south half of course ? was it this past weekend ? I live in naperville...get down by AB often, but not with sgt 1832 (yet). we have a pair of GTs in my community ( black & white).. the other belongs to good friend of mine. what area are you in ?.....we should get the three together for a forum photo-opportunity !!

thanks

bob

I have had my car (393) on the track a couple times at the Miller Motor Sports Park in Utah. (SAAC 35 was held there this year).

Anyways- I noticed the exact same thing with my car. The brakes are fine for street use but once you get it on the track and hit the corners for more than 5 laps the breaks become mush. I think with bigger breaks, the car would be just about perfect for the road course!

If any of you ever get the chance to run a track course, do it! Even if it's just once. You will get a whole new appreciation for what a Shelby GT can do!

Wow, I am so jealous! Looks like you had a great time there.

Just a suggestion, try installing a set of the Hawk pads before you go out next time; these may be all you need for what you're doing. Also, make sure you're checking your stock pads to make sure they are not worn out now!

Stinger

I live in the nw burbs of Chicago and would love to get my Shelby on the track. Please give me info as to how I can arrange. Thanx Steve

mr hugger

easiest/next oppty will be sept 29/30 thru the Chicago NW Shelby Club ( 20 bucks I think to join club plus event fees for the AutoBahn)...link below.

http://www.nwshelbyclub.com/?page_id=4

I live in naperville and think a collective track day would be a hoot, thought my sgt is "mid-mod" status locally, and I still will be way short on brakes/tires fior the hp numbers I expect to have.

regards

bob

Archived