TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Answer from FORD for upgrading tunes , ect.

frankieboo69

I wrote Ford and get an email back from them regarding voiding waranty or not for upgrading tunes,ect.

this is a copy of the corrispondance with Ford!!! B)

Dear Frankie,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship

Center regarding your interest in doing some upgrades to your 2007 Ford

Mustang GT.

All alterations or modifications to Ford Motor Company vehicles must be

done in compliance with all applicable State and Federal statutes and

regulations. The installation or use of any non-Ford product will not

necessarily void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. However, if the

non-Ford product fails or causes a Ford part to fail, the cost of the

repair and any related damage are not covered by warranty. The vehicle

owner would need to look to the manufacturer or installer of the non-Ford

product for repairs. Therefore, Ford Motor Company does not recommend

modifications to your vehicle.

If you have any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us and we

will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,

John

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

For online support visit us at: www.customersaskford.com which contains

answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product

and service information.

[THREAD ID:1-3NUIPA]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 9/3/2007 11:50:31 AM

To:

Subject: Warranty_ESP_questions

Contact Us

First Name: Frankie

Last Name: B

Email Address: b

Zip/Postal Code: 95004

Daytime Phone: 408-690- x

Home Phone: 831-726- x

Inquiring About Own Vehicle: Yes

VIN : 1zvht82h975304708

Mileage : 3215

Contacted Dealer: No

Servicing Dealer: sunnyvale ford

Vehicle location: My possession

Home Address: 441

City: aromas

State/Province:ca

Questions: I was thinking of doing some upgrades to my new ShelbyGT and

i

heard from alot of people that if i do a tune upgrade it will void the

warranty. according to Granatelli Motor Sports there tuner the feugo

flash

tuner will not void the warranties , then i was emailed a link to the

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act , saying that the warranties can not be

voided

unless it can be proven that the aftermarket item was the cause of the

problem!

My car is brand new 07 Shelby GT , I love it and want alittle more HP

but

dont want to do anything that will void my warranties especially sence

i

purchased all the upgraded warranty packs including the maintance !

Please write me back with any info that will help me ,

Thanx for your time and help, Frankie

About what I would have expected. They can't say no but they can say your modification caused the problem then its your expert against their expert and lots of $$$$$$$ in court. Again, do what you want, but be aware it's at your own risk! :(

I agree that fighting a warranty claim like this is a lost cause. All their experts have to say is that the mod was possilby 1% contributatory to the failure and you are screwed.

However, I've fussed over this and have been back and forth on getting a tune or not. The bottom line is that a good tune while using the right gas will not hurt the engine and produce a failure.

Therefore, I plan to buy the Steeda High Flow elbow which bolts in to replace the stock air inlet elbow + buy Benspeed custom tunes for 91 & 93 octanes. If I have to take the car into the dealer, then I'll relace the elbow and the stock tune which would take only 30 minutes. The FRPP CAI air filtet IS a Steeda part so the elbow bolts right in. Steeda claims that with the right tune you can get 38 hp with their setup. That's 338 hp for the SGT!

Also, if you need to clean your air filter in the future, you can buy the Steeda air filter cleaner kit for just $13.

Other simple mods are the right one piece aluminum drive shaft (+12 RWHP hp) and underdrive pulleys (+10 HP).

All these HP ratings may be overstated, but with them, you could get real close to an "effective" crank hp (noting that some of these mods only affect RWHP) rating of 350 hp for you SGT with only a few bolt on mods.

I may wait until my warranty is over before I do the drive shaft and pulleys though but the elbow and tune is just to good and easy to wait for.

IMO, none of these mods really affect the longevity of the engine and they are certainly safer than adding a supercharger.

I agree that fighting a warranty claim like this is a lost cause. All their experts have to say is that the mod was possilby 1% contributatory to the failure and you are screwed.

However, I've fussed over this and have been back and forth on getting a tune or not. The bottom line is that a good tune while using the right gas will not hurt the engine and produce a failure.

Therefore, I plan to buy the Steeda High Flow elbow which bolts in to replace the stock air inlet elbow + buy Benspeed custom tunes for 91 & 93 octanes. If I have to take the car into the dealer, then I'll relace the elbow and the stock tune which would take only 30 minutes. The FRPP CAI air filtet IS a Steeda part so the elbow bolts right in. Steeda claims that with the right tune you can get 38 hp with their setup. That's 338 hp for the SGT!

Also, if you need to clean your air filter in the future, you can buy the Steeda air filter cleaner kit for just $13.

Other simple mods are the right one piece aluminum drive shaft (+12 RWHP hp) and underdrive pulleys (+10 HP).

All these HP ratings may be overstated, but with them, you could get real close to an "effective" crank hp (noting that some of these mods only affect RWHP) rating of 350 hp for you SGT with only a few bolt on mods.

I may wait until my warranty is over before I do the drive shaft and pulleys though but the elbow and tune is just to good and easy to wait for.

IMO, none of these mods really affect the longevity of the engine and they are certainly safer than adding a supercharger.

+1 :)

I totally agree with you! Didn't mean to seem as if I didn't.

Just saying it is what it is so to speak.

I was agreeing that I knew that you were agreeing with me to agree on this. Sorry for the confusion!

:P

I agree that MattChicago was agreeing with blueshawk who was agreeing with MattChicago. I also agree blueshawk went on a rant about his own struggle and agree with ilmor that is a typical legal response.

I agree that MattChicago was agreeing with blueshawk who was agreeing with MattChicago. I also agree blueshawk went on a rant about his own struggle and agree with ilmor that is a typical legal response.

I would have to agree that Reino was agreeing that MattChicago was agreeing with blueshawk who was agreeing with MattChicago. I also agree blueshawk went on a rant about his own struggle and agree with ilmor that is a typical legal response.

Archived