TEAM SHELBY FORUM

hood pins

stg

I was pleasently suprised to get mine on Tuesday. Made minor modification to mine and painted the grooves black. B)

Hood Pin Picts

Brian,

What do you have to replace with the new hood pin kit? Is it everything or just what goes on the outside of the hood? Thanks,

Dave

I was pleasently suprised to get mine on Tuesday. Made minor modification to mine and painted the grooves black. B)

Hood Pin Picts

Hey BriMac! Looks great.

Did the new hood pin plates match up with the holes already drilled in the stock plates?

Dave and BC,

I did replace everything except the brackets that the pins thru the hood mount on. All the holes lined up for the plates on top of hood, so no new holes required. Could probably get by with just replacing the plates, but in this kit, the pins are also billet, not steel, so there is a difference in appearance. Worse thing about installing them was drilling out the rivets on the old lanyards and having a screwdriver right next to hood :o I was a nervous wreck, but all went well. Very impressed with the product and happy to have them, although the ones Matt described sound SWEET! Would love to see those.

Brian

Oh yea, they do look like the slots are painted black on web site (thanks 4 pict Stump), but mine were not. I just used DupliColor Universal Black touch up paint on them.

I just bought an 07 with 4k miles and the hood pins are cheap and do not have any spring force to keep them closed and on the pin. One fell out while driving and beat the car. I took them off and am wondering who else has had this problem. Also, previous owner popped the hood a few too many times with the pins in and dented the cover plates in. Went to Ford parts site and do not dee replacements. Where to get?

Also, anyone else having weird resonance issue with mufflers at low RPM when lugged a little? Sounds like some baffles are coming loose inside the left rear.

I just bought an 07 with 4k miles and the hood pins are cheap and do not have any spring force to keep them closed and on the pin. One fell out while driving and beat the car. I took them off and am wondering who else has had this problem. Also, previous owner popped the hood a few too many times with the pins in and dented the cover plates in. Went to Ford parts site and do not dee replacements. Where to get?

Also, anyone else having weird resonance issue with mufflers at low RPM when lugged a little? Sounds like some baffles are coming loose inside the left rear.

Yeah, this is the first thing I had to fix. You can adjust the height of the studs that protrude through the hood so that you need to slighty press the hood down to get the pins in. Another problem is the rings keep popping out of their retaning holes in the pins. You need to call SAI and have them send you replacement rings. The new ones are a thicker wire and work better.

Another fix is replacing the plates on the hood with thicker ones from Tony Branda;

http://www.cobranda.com/19shhopinpl.html

However, you'll need to ream out the center hole to match the diameter of the Shelby plates (just a little) and also the screw holes (just a little). These plates are thicker and work very well once you ream the holes.

Hope that helps

Brian,

What do you have to replace with the new hood pin kit? Is it everything or just what goes on the outside of the hood? Thanks,

Dave

someone at FORD oped the hood ,,,with out pulling the pin's first, ;(,, messed up the crome part on the top side of the hood ,, that is what was replaced :))

Yeah, this is the first thing I had to fix. You can adjust the height of the studs that protrude through the hood so that you need to slighty press the hood down to get the pins in. Another problem is the rings keep popping out of their retaning holes in the pins. You need to call SAI and have them send you replacement rings. The new ones are a thicker wire and work better.

Another fix is replacing the plates on the hood with thicker ones from Tony Branda;

http://www.cobranda.com/19shhopinpl.html

However, you'll need to ream out the center hole to match the diameter of the Shelby plates (just a little) and also the screw holes (just a little). These plates are thicker and work very well once you ream the holes.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the feedback. I emailed SAI and hope they follow up in timely fashion.

YOU CAN GET STAINLESS OR BILLET HOOD PINS FROM SHELBY PERFORMANCE PARTS AT

WWW.SHELBYPERFORMANCEPARTS.COM OR 1-702-405-3500

The prototype at Tasca had some REALLY REALLY cool hood pins. The base had "Shelby GT" and were brushed and raised off the hood. I WANT THESE!!! I WANT THEM HOLE COMPATIBLE WITH THE EXISTING AND I WANT THEM NOW!!!!

[/quote

MattChicago,

Call SPP just talked to them yesterday regarding my current order and they stated that the billet hood pins has been change the new design says "SHELBY" in blue stated looks real good dont know about SHELBY GT prototype but this may be close

YOU CAN GET STAINLESS OR BILLET HOOD PINS FROM SHELBY PERFORMANCE PARTS AT

WWW.SHELBYPERFORMANCEPARTS.COM OR 1-702-405-3500

After I emailed SAI I got a call from Doug who said that he would ship a couple of replacement retaining pins and covers out. Great customer service! Hopefully I get them in a few days.

I guess I'm the oddball on this one. They're not for me. Look like little flying saucers...

100432.jpg

+1

I think if you stick with the stock hood pins (with the thicker wire rings), but get thicker plates like the ones from Tony Branda and drill them out to fit, it is a very nice looking hood pin set. I'm very happy mine now.

I have another Shelby hood pin kit as a backup and I'm going to by another set of plates from Branda to have on hand if needed.

Archived