TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Weekend repair on shift linkage...

SGT ShuttleGuy

This past weekend I started noticing a difference in how the gear shifter felt while changing gears. It's hard to explain except that it started feeling a little sloppy but even more so it started to have noticable chatter/vibration noise. I also started to hear a faint squeak associated with some gear shifts sounding like it came from under the boot area. I lifted the boot up thinking I could see something but too much stuff in the way. One thing I did notice, though, was that I was able to move the shifter up and down slightly. I had read on another link about folks finding a loose nut on the linkage so I crawled under the car thinking this might be the problem only to find that a rectangular rubber "isolator" sitting loose on the linkage. This was sitting just aft of the area where the shifter emerges. Just behind the rubber piece there sat an empty "U" shape bracket. I couldn't tell if the isolator had been partially installed or if it was never installed in the first place. There are little nubs on both sides of the rubber piece that are supposed to line up with holes on the bracket so I don't think if it is properly installed that it would come out on it's own. I had to purchase a 10 mm deep socket to add to my ever expanding collection of metric tools in order to loosen the bracket and shove the rubber piece back in place while making sure those little nubs lined up with the holes in the bracket. I hope this helps someone troubleshoot in the future.

This past weekend I started noticing a difference in how the gear shifter felt while changing gears. It's hard to explain except that it started feeling a little sloppy but even more so it started to have noticable chatter/vibration noise. I also started to hear a faint squeak associated with some gear shifts sounding like it came from under the boot area. I lifted the boot up thinking I could see something but too much stuff in the way. One thing I did notice, though, was that I was able to move the shifter up and down slightly. I had read on another link about folks finding a loose nut on the linkage so I crawled under the car thinking this might be the problem only to find that a rectangular rubber "isolator" sitting loose on the linkage. This was sitting just aft of the area where the shifter emerges. Just behind the rubber piece there sat an empty "U" shape bracket. I couldn't tell if the isolator had been partially installed or if it was never installed in the first place. There are little nubs on both sides of the rubber piece that are supposed to line up with holes on the bracket so I don't think if it is properly installed that it would come out on it's own. I had to purchase a 10 mm deep socket to add to my ever expanding collection of metric tools in order to loosen the bracket and shove the rubber piece back in place while making sure those little nubs lined up with the holes in the bracket. I hope this helps someone troubleshoot in the future.

When I installed the aluminum drive shaft in my sgt I took the opportunity to spray silicone lube into the Hurst shfter linkage , shfit it thru the gears ,and spray again , did this three or four times , and it has mad the shifting sweet....................Any one can do this , at any time, it was just too simple to pass up when the drive shaft was out...............ZDS

• 2 weeks later...

When I installed the aluminum drive shaft in my sgt I took the opportunity to spray silicone lube into the Hurst shfter linkage , shfit it thru the gears ,and spray again , did this three or four times , and it has mad the shifting sweet....................Any one can do this , at any time, it was just too simple to pass up when the drive shaft was out...............ZDS

How did it affect 2nd to 3rd? That one still gets me when speed shifting.

It's like it doesn't want to go.

How did it affect 2nd to 3rd? That one still gets me when speed shifting.

It's like it doesn't want to go.

I posted it once b4 then bushing that came with the car was black rubber, so switch them to red poly bushing and it made a huge differrence. Hope this helps. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived