TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Those having a Whipple SC installed

RogerS

If you are having a Whipple installed it does require the removal of the Ford Racing strut tower brace due to clearance issues. As a matter of fact the SC in a couple of areas actually touches the under hood blanket. Not much room under there after you put the SC on top of the block. But this does look promising. If you look at the top of the strut tower there is a mounting piece which seems to raise the height of the bar. Just ran across this and it does look interesting. I need to call them to check and see if it will clear.

http://www.nichepi.com/billet.htm

Roger,

Keep us posted on this on any Whipple friendly shock tower brace. I hope this works or something becomes available. The extra power is awesome but it stinks to give back some of our cars excellent handling. Lime Rock was cool! Rick

Roger as far as I have read there is currently no brace that fits with the whipple. I have searched a fe forum sites and they all say no at this time. Hopefully that will change soon.

Shelby is coming out with a billet brace but the person I talked to wasn't sure if it would fit or not. I know the whipple instructions recommend removing the insulation under the hood. So clearance must be pretty tight.

So you dramatically increase horsepower & decrease handling capability at the same time? :huh: (with a Whipple)

Wouldnt you go with a Paxton & keep the handling?

Adding to the car's capabilities I can see.......detracting from them for more horsepower seems to defeat the dynamics of what this car is?

Or does the strut tower brace really not make that big of am impact in handling?

I think it probably depends on what you are doing with the car and how much handling you want. If you are running your car at a lot of track days, autocross, or even hard through country roads you might not want to give up the strut brace and go with the Paxton. However, if you mostly want the power from stop light to stop light around town or the 1/4 mile you are good with the whipple and no strut brace.

Has anyone come across an "export brace" like those used in the '60s? My '68 fastback had one of these, and as it goes from shock tower to rear firewall to shock tower, it does not cross over the engine. I'd link to pics (you can find these at webshots.com, user name ShelbyCobra826), but the firewall here at work is not very friendly...

This would seem to be a good comprimise, if available.

I think it probably depends on what you are doing with the car and how much handling you want. If you are running your car at a lot of track days, autocross, or even hard through country roads you might not want to give up the strut brace and go with the Paxton. However, if you mostly want the power from stop light to stop light around town or the 1/4 mile you are good with the whipple and no strut brace.

I did a centrifigal on my 98 Cobra and always wished I had done a roots style blower. Its so nice to have the power on the bottom end, its like having a big block. I talked to shelby about the brace before I went with the whipple and they said it had negligible effect, they thought the mustang chassis was reasonably stout without it. I haven't got my whipple in yet, but I want to see how things look, I may try to fab one up myself. I was hoping that the Shelby billet unit would fit but after seeing pictures I'm doubtful.

The Shelby brace will NOT fit with the Whipple. Basicly same dimentions as the Ford Racing brace.

I left a message today and no return call.

As to the performance dynamics, this is not your father's Mustang, or should I say my old Mustang. I think the structual integrity of the unibody is far superior than the old days.

But the brace ties the two shock towers together to add structual rigity and take away any flex in the tower area under heavy loads. As Socal stated, it is really what your intent is with the usage of the vehicle. I am looking to tie both in because I am going to do some track days. The first thing I will do is remove the blanket and yes it is tight.

If you are having a Whipple installed it does require the removal of the Ford Racing strut tower brace due to clearance issues. As a matter of fact the SC in a couple of areas actually touches the under hood blanket. Not much room under there after you put the SC on top of the block. But this does look promising. If you look at the top of the strut tower there is a mounting piece which seems to raise the height of the bar. Just ran across this and it does look interesting. I need to call them to check and see if it will clear.

http://www.nichepi.com/billet.htm

Roger, I seen one on a 06 or 07 Roush with a Roush charger. It was v-shaped and the point was to the back of the SC near the firewall. It was an elongated V. It was pretty stout material. Had a Roush emblem on it I don't know if it was stock or after market. Check into it, maybe it will work for you. I'm gonna have to ask you to remove the Roush tag because we're brand loyalist LMAO.

Good luck, Dave

Roger, I seen one on a 06 or 07 Roush with a Roush charger. It was v-shaped and the point was to the back of the SC near the firewall. It was an elongated V. It was pretty stout material. Had a Roush emblem on it I don't know if it was stock or after market. Check into it, maybe it will work for you. I'm gonna have to ask you to remove the Roush tag because we're brand loyalist LMAO.

Good luck, Dave

Thanks for the heads up Dave. And don't worry about the branding thing........I with ya! ;)

The first thing I will do is remove the blanket and yes it is tight.

I have hood blanket issues also. What negative effects might there be by removing the blanket? Keep in mind I have the fiberglass hood. Also, can I just cut the portion of the hood blanket out I am having an issue with. Basically it is at the front where the hood blanket rests contacts the supercharger and intercooler. My hood blanket already rest on the strut brace because of the CS hood.

Now you have me wondering about the hood selection. I opted for the CS hood also and have been concerned with the Whipple clearance issue. I may not be able to utilize the CS hood because the profile of the Whipple is slightly higher than the stock intake with the Strut Tower brace on top. <_<

Now you have me wondering about the hood selection. I opted for the CS hood also and have been concerned with the Whipple clearance issue. I may not be able to utilize the CS hood because the profile of the Whipple is slightly higher than the stock intake with the Strut Tower brace on top. <_<

....slightly higher then the stock plenum or the strut brace? The issue with my strut brace may because there is a bracket on the passenger side to hold the relocated coolant reservoir. I have a plenum cover in process and I am considering using spacers for the strut brace to clear or removing the strut brace. That is why I asked about the hood blanket. How much room is there between the blanket and the hood? Can I cut just a portion of it out?

....slightly higher then the stock plenum or the strut brace? The issue with my strut brace may because there is a bracket on the passenger side to hold the relocated coolant reservoir. I have a plenum cover in process and I am considering using spacers for the strut brace to clear or removing the strut brace. That is why I asked about the hood blanket. How much room is there between the blanket and the hood? Can I cut just a portion of it out?

I don't have the car yet Chris but I have the opportunity to look Adam's car over pretty closely. He has the Whipple and it is hitting the blanket in 2 places at the throttle body's highest point and also at the "Ford Racing" logo badge on the CAI tube leading to the air filter. He also has the stock hood. I have read that the interior dimentions of the CS hood are just about the same. If that is the case any strut tower brace would just lay right on the hood blanket. Not good at all. The hood blanket is there to protect aginst heat to the hood and also for isolation, insulation of engine noise. I would assume that you could cut the section out without any issue other than astehitics. I did remove part of my blanket on my 04 Cobra for a hood modification which was to make the hood vents functional with no issue but I did leave the majority of the blanket in place. Remembering the old blanket is was not thick at all so I really don't know how much room you would gain at all and I really don't know how thick the 07 blanket is.

I don't have the car yet Chris but I have the opportunity to look Adam's car over pretty closely. He has the Whipple and it is hitting the blanket in 2 places at the throttle body's highest point and also at the "Ford Racing" logo badge on the CAI tube leading to the air filter. He also has the stock hood. I have read that the interior dimentions of the CS hood are just about the same. If that is the case any strut tower brace would just lay right on the hood blanket. Not good at all. The hood blanket is there to protect aginst heat to the hood and also for isolation, insulation of engine noise. I would assume that you could cut the section out without any issue other than astehitics. I did remove part of my blanket on my 04 Cobra for a hood modification which was to make the hood vents functional with no issue but I did leave the majority of the blanket in place. Remembering the old blanket is was not thick at all so I really don't know how much room you would gain at all and I really don't know how thick the 07 blanket is.

I think the concern brought up in the Whipple instructions is about the blanket near the pulley area. I wondered why they were recommending a removal when a trim seemed like a better fix.

I think the concern brought up in the Whipple instructions is about the blanket near the pulley area. I wondered why they were recommending a removal when a trim seemed like a better fix.

Here is a Roush installation, it sure looks like they have lots of room. Do the Roush S/C's sit lower ?

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/s...php?photo=39704

Thanks Waldo.

Just looking at it quickly I see many differences in the configuration and set up. First the air inlet tube is completly reversed. Second the alternator is positioned differently I would suspect due to the air inlet tube on the Roush set up and I may be mistaken here but that looks like an Eaton vs. the Whipple casing. I will have to look up the height specifications and then post both photo's. I'll do that this evening.

Thanks again.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Roger,

I saw this today on Hillbank Motorsports Roush HB-R concept. Maybe, try given Jason a call. Be sure to mention me. I need free stuff. :P

0923071355.jpg

...bugger, when I looked closer at the picture, I realize that probably won't work with the whipple but maybe an idea.

I wonder if the GT500 bracket will work on the SGT with the Whipple ? I too am getting the Whipple installed on my SGT.

Thanks Chris,

I believe the height is different on the Whipple case. I also do not think we can utilize the GT500 brace also. As it is, when the Whipple is installed the top of the throttle body and air intake tube hit the hood blanket on the stock hood. Seeing how I have the CS hood installed, I will need to see the under side without the blanket installed and then look at options. Should be the end of next week before I see the car. I will post a seperate thread on findings.

I just installed the 11psi Whipple and I'm wondering if anyone knows if I'll be able to run the fog light brake duct kit with the intercooler ?

I would think yes. I have just the functional brake duct kit. The light package does not intrude that far into the area where the intercooler is mounted. Should be no issue. Adam O'Dwyers car has the same SC with both upper and lower lights and the brake duct kit with no issues.

Archived