TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby 14" Baer Brakes don't fit 18" Wheels

zdle

Just got a call from Jason Cenora at Hillbank Motors they are doing the replacement of my front facia, I also ordered the Shelby 14" Baer Front /Rear Brakes (Part # BBS-4261111) but he says they won't fit in the 18" wheels that came with the SGT . The web sight , and the catalog says these need an 18" wheel , not a 20" .

So I had to for go the brakes , Can't realy buy the 20" Razors , and tires right now .

Does any one know why they claim the 14" disc brake will work with the 18's , when they clearly won't . This has waisted my time , and some one needs to correct the documentation on the web sight , and catalog.

ZDS

they will work with an 18" wheel, just not the Shelby GT wheel, or any wheel with what I believe is an 8.5" offset. If I remember correctly, the 14" brakes will work with an 18" wheel with a 9" offset.

This was not a question of the Caliper hitting the spoke , they told me the wheel would not fit over the caliper , it souned like a tru diameter issue ??

ZDS

This was not a question of the Caliper hitting the spoke , they told me the wheel would not fit over the caliper , it souned like a tru diameter issue ??

ZDS

That is odd. I was under the impression that it was a spoke clearance issue. I think that the cs56 wheel, which is an 18" unit but 9.5" wide versus the OEM 8.5" (http://www.carrollshelbywheels.com/cs56.htm), was designed with the larger rotors in mind. I just can't get anyone at SAI to confirm that it will fit...

Never mind, I see that they have changed their description and now only say that the cs66 and cs69 will fit the GT500 and big brake packages. But now I'm really confused as the cs66 is available in 18x8.5 and 18.9.5.

I give up.

That is odd. I was under the impression that it was a spoke clearance issue. I think that the cs56 wheel, which is an 18" unit but 9.5" wide versus the OEM 8.5" (http://www.carrollshelbywheels.com/cs56.htm), was designed with the larger rotors in mind. I just can't get anyone at SAI to confirm that it will fit...

Never mind, I see that they have changed their description and now only say that the cs66 and cs69 will fit the GT500 and big brake packages. But now I'm really confused as the cs66 is available in 18x8.5 and 18.9.5.

I give up.

The only thing that I do know is that the Baer Brakes will NOT fit when using a stock GT wheel. They will fit a stock GT500 wheel set up. One of the main reasons for not having infor for say like the CS56 is that we do not use them and have no specs for that type of wheel. The only wheels we use here are the Razors 20x9's and we will be using the Alcoa's. Both of these wheels have been tested and adjusted so that they will clear the Baer brake and the 6 piston EXTREME brakes. I wish I had more info for you all, but with out testing each wheel, I do not have the information you need.

Bud

I do know that the Carroll Shelby Wheel company only has 2 offering which clear the big brake kits and they are the CS69 and CS66 series.

The American Racing Shelby Signature series have designs that clear also. They include the Razor's.

http://www.carrollshelbywheels.com/

http://www.americanracing.com/browse_carroll.asp

The only thing that I do know is that the Baer Brakes will NOT fit when using a stock GT wheel. They will fit a stock GT500 wheel set up. One of the main reasons for not having infor for say like the CS56 is that we do not use them and have no specs for that type of wheel. The only wheels we use here are the Razors 20x9's and we will be using the Alcoa's. Both of these wheels have been tested and adjusted so that they will clear the Baer brake and the 6 piston EXTREME brakes. I wish I had more info for you all, but with out testing each wheel, I do not have the information you need.

Bud

Simply add to the Web sight , and the catalog for the Baer 14" Brakes , " Will not fit Shelby GT 18 in Wheels "

This would save the customer , and you guys alot of time.

ZDS

Bud

Bud, I love my car and completely respect the strain that you all are under, so please don't take this personally, but when I was there (late June) you had one of each of the four sets of cs wheels on a display rack beside the blue GT500 40th anniversary car (I can send a pic...). Anyway, it wouldn't take long to test each version on a car with the brake kit just to see, and then we'd all know.

Bud

Seems like the wording is to get you to by the brakes , and once they are on and you find out the 18's don't fit your more apt to pop another 2000 dollars for wheels and tires, That makes a brake modification a 4000 dollar investment , the customer might find it easier to swallow if the brakes are already on the car.

Just on statement on the WEB page and in the catalog "Requires 20" wheels" or I'll think this is intentional !

ZDS

Archived