TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Protecting Carroll's signature?

riharely

:blink: Sorry if this is a repeat but I couldn't find the information in a search.

Many of us have car parts now with Carroll's signature in black or silver Sharpie pen.

My part is a billet fuse box cover signed which is now installed in the engine compartment. I was SO excited it was immediately mounted on the car. I do have some concern about the heat in the engine compartment, but still plan to drive the car!

What is the best way ( a PROVEN method please don't guess! :blink: ) to protect the Sharpie marker without melting the signature?

Best way to apply ?

What product(s) should we AVOID or thing s to AVOID doing?

Thanks!

:blink: Sorry if this is a repeat but I couldn't find the information in a search.

Many of us have car parts now with Carroll's signature in black or silver Sharpie pen.

My part is a billet fuse box cover signed which is now installed in the engine compartment. I was SO excited it was immediately mounted on the car. I do have some concern about the heat in the engine compartment, but still plan to drive the car!

What is the best way ( a PROVEN method please don't guess! :blink: ) to protect the Sharpie marker without melting the signature?

Best way to apply ?

Thanks!

In order to test the affects of heat, I'd try fixing a specimen with a cable tie near your fuse box. Write on it with your Sharpie and use that to test the coatings. I'd try a clear lacquer that most hobbie shops have. Guitarists who get their guitars signed by somebody famous often overspray the area it with clear lacquer. You can get gloss or matte. There may be other coatings too. Your could also use your oven but that would probably stink up the house.

If I had an interior (dash, etc.) part signed, I'd give the matte lacquer a try.

Best way to apply ?

Thanks!

I would add that I would seriously not keep it installed in the car. I would use the stock cover and just put this one on at car shows etc.

IMHO!

I would add that I would seriously not keep it installed in the car. I would use the stock cover and just put this one on at car shows etc.

IMHO!

Yeah I'm starting to think that way now. I can get a stock fuse box cover from my dealer in a snap. However, I want to make sure it is protected. Nice meeting you at the Tasca show.

-Tim-

Tim,

Just got off the phone with my friend. He told me NOT to use lacquer. It tends to cloud up. You should use urethane. Mist 2 light coats and let it tac up between coats then a final coat. If you would like hook up with me and he will shoot it at his shop in Prov.

Roger

Tim,

Just got off the phone with my friend. He told me NOT to use lacquer. It tends to cloud up. You should use urethane. Mist 2 light coats and let it tac up between coats then a final coat. If you would like hook up with me and he will shoot it at his shop in Prov.

Roger

That makes sense, I would also practice on a few "scrap" Pieces with similar properties to make sure you can get it right before going to the real thing IMO

I would use caution with anything that dries slowly as it might react and lift or smear the signature. A light spray of laquer dries quickly and usually will not have time to smear, lift, etc. You can then recoat more heavily. Spraying will help prevent smearing. I don't have experience with urethane.

Just my 2 cents.

Saturday light project .....

I bought a can of Magic (brand) spray clear Enamel and tried it out on another piece on metal first. I misted it on very lightly and let it dry (about 15 minutes) between coats. Later after a good base was laid down I put on about 4-5 regular coats. It was a little scarey because it wouldn't be total clear until it dried between coats. (panic!... then relief!) The enamel looks good and I'm confident that it will hold up in the engine compartment. It isn't high heat paint, but the part is a fuse box cover and not on the motor itself.

That is how it worked for me!

-Tim-

:D

Get off the #$^%* computer and go out and drive your car!

Archived