TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Blue smoke upon start

bruces

After sitting for a week or a couple hours upon start the car blows blue smoke should there be an oil separater,car has 200 miles on it. Any ideas? other blogs say no problem dealer says needs to break in 1200 miles.

Could be valve guides or seals.

I have found this to be normal on both our 05 GT's. Mine has 15,000 on it and my sons has about 33,000. He was concerned, took to dealer, stated was normal on start-up after car had sit for awhile.

GG

my shelby did it for the first 600 miles,but it is fine now.

I have a friend with the same issue on his Porsche. He spoke with a Porsche tech and he explained that it's how the engine is designed, so even a brand new 911 will experience it from time to time due to the way the oil settles in the engine, it gets burned off every once in awhile when you start the car, thus leading him to believe that there is no fix and Porsche is o.k. with occasional embarrasment generally associated with higher mileage vehicles costing less than a house. :D

I haven't seen this yet with my car but then it doesn't sit idle very long.

;)

I test drove a new Black 07 SGT this past Saturday. The dealer had to first drive it out of his showroom. I was standing about 20 feet behind the car when he started it. I noticed the black smoke, too.

Usually, I believe black indicates a too rich mixture on start-up. I think white smoke indicates oil burning, but I'm not sure. It stopped after a few seconds. Maybe they are designed to start with that mixture??? :huh:

I test drove a new Black 07 SGT this past Saturday. The dealer had to first drive it out of his showroom. I was standing about 20 feet behind the car when he started it. I noticed the black smoke, too.

Usually, I believe black indicates a too rich mixture on start-up. I think white smoke indicates oil burning, but I'm not sure. It stopped after a few seconds. Maybe they are designed to start with that mixture??? :huh:

Yeah "usually":

"A little" Black: too much gas in the mix

"A little" Blue: Oil burn off

"A little" White: Water vapor

Archived