TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Waxing the stripes

shelbydream1

Hey gang-I know we discussed this at some point before, but I searched and couldn't find any info.

Is there anything wax wise that is a no-no for the vinyl stripes??

1) Ear wax

2) Hot candle wax

3) Hair removal wax

All else should be fine.

Sorry to be a wise guy, just having a little fun. :rolleyes:

1) Ear wax

2) Hot candle wax

3) Hair removal wax

All else should be fine.

Sorry to be a wise guy, just having a little fun. :rolleyes:

I thought i remembered seeing someone say that ______based waxes weren't good for the stripes, but I can't remember what it was

I use a non-silicone UV protectant for the stripes, not wax. Having owned RV's for a few years, those manufacturers always state that the vinyl graphics should not be waxed for various reasons, and they recommend a UV protectant, such as Formula 303. So, I just follow this advice. I believe the concern of using wax is due to a certain ingredient in some waxes which can harm the vinyl over a period of time, plus you get wax build-up on the vinyl as well as along the edges of the vinyl.

Hey gang-I know we discussed this at some point before, but I searched and couldn't find any info.

Is there anything wax wise that is a no-no for the vinyl stripes??

Here's a replay I got from Mequiars customer service:

Thank you for contacting Meguiar's. On any smooth (non-textured) vinyl stripe we would recommend just simply applying a good coat of wax. If the stripe were not smooth to the touch it could leave some nasty residue on it. We don't recommend using any cleaners on those sorts of stripes, and probably wouldn't recommend using the Cleaner/Wax on those stripes either. They probably won't cause any harm, but we would rather error on the side of safety, so as a result we don't recommend anything more aggressive than a wax. I hope that information is helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns don't hesitate to contact us back, and we'll do everything we can to assist. Thank you for your support, and we look forward to serving your car care needs in the future.

Sincerely,

Rick McDonough

rmcdonough@meguiars.com

1.800.854.8073 x 153

Meguiar's Customer Care

We probably won't know the real answer to this until our 10th anniversary meeting, during which we can compare our stripes and discuss how we've cared for them!

Archived