TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tasca Ford

ShelbyGT/SC

All, below is a little info about my day today where I spent time with Bob Tasca Sr and Billy Gilbert. I have links to pics as well as an article in the current issue of Muscle Car Review. Here is the link:

My day with Mr. Tasca: http://picasaweb.google.com/Adams.ShelbyGT...tWithBobTascaSr

Tasca History: http://picasaweb.google.com/Adams.ShelbyGT/TascaHistory

Wow, all I can say is Wow. I knew I was on to something when I started this whole thing months ago, but I had no idea how incredible it was or it would get.

Today I ran down to Tasca Ford to meet up with Steve Guyette (Performance Director) again to finalize my options list.

I requested (with help from this forum) and Tasca agreed and highly recommended the Pan Hard Rods. They said that any car they lower, they put them in. They are doing the before and after dyno's, adding Ford Racing Headers, stronger motor (mounts since I will have some pretty good HP), Tasca badges, Lojack early warning, SCT Tune and some other things. After Mr. Shelby and Mr. Tasca signs my car, Steve will have the signatures clear coated as well as the signed block-off plates (which will be signed by Shelby and Tasca VIPs).

One of the things I mentioned to them was something I learned from Bill Woebkenberg, the Ford SVT engineer last week while at SAI. (I still have to upload the video I took of him explaining how he designed the exhaust sound of our SGT's. – anyone good with movie editing that can help?) Anyway, Bill suggested that we cut a hole in the fender wheel well plastic to allow more and colder air into the filter. He showed how hot engine air seeps around the cold air intake shroud and into the filter. If you look in the area where the filter is, you can see the black plastic shroud. Tasca will cut the hole and rivet a screen in its place.

Anyway, during my last visit April 11, I gave Steve my 1/18th scale Tasca Ford Cobra Jet Mustang (see pics in my Picasa site – link below) to have Mr. Tasca sign as well as Billy Gilbert, the man who was responsible for inventing the Cobra Jet engine. Well, right after I finished up with Steve, I went out to see Dennis, their ace genius mechanic (who will be working on my car), because he mentioned that he was working on a 800-1000 HP GT500 and a Mustang GT with a Whipple. Both cars looked great. BTW, both also had 12 inch tires (305's) and he said they fit just fine. They were 18" but he used 1010Tires.com website to design tire applications and it said 20 inch wheels worked too. And he said he lowered both cars and there were no clearance issues. I would assume that we wouldn't have any problems but I recall Amy saying otherwise recently so I'm going with what she says.

When I was finished hanging with Dennis, I saw Billy Gilbert and then Bob Sr. Billy still works there as a master mechanic or something similar (I didn't get his current title). Bob was great and welcomed me in. We chatted about my car as I showed him the article about the 67 Tasca Shelby (in my sig). Then I started asking him some questions and the next thing you know, 2+ hours later I walked out of there completely excited and overwhelmed about the things I learned.

He told me all about the fascinating history about him and Mr. Shelby. It started with a meeting Mr. Tasca was attending at a Detroit Motor Inn (I think that's what he said). Then he told me all these awesome stories about how he raced, recommended what parts to put in engines, and how to make them perform the best.

Wow, I could go on and on about the things I heard. Billy told me the whole story about how the Cobra Jet came about as well as the many racing events and car builds he did over the years. It was so cool to hear these guys tell these stories. If you look closely, you'll see both of their signatures on the mustang in the Picasa site.

Well, take a look at the Tasca related pics on my Picasa site. Swede, as mentioned in my email to you today, take a look at the 62 Galaxie. Your name SWEDE is on the door above where then wrote Tasca Ford. Also, Suzie, Ralph is on the same car back fender. So that's your car's DNA? I thought it was the 65 Shelby GT350 DNA? LOL

I hope you all enjoy this info. Wow, to be in the presence of these guys along with Amy and John W. in coming weeks, will be a great pleasure and a chance in a lifetime. I really hope you all can make it.

My Picasa Site: http://picasaweb.google.com/Adams.ShelbyGT

Adam

Adam - I must say you will have an awesome car with huge HP. I will also add that the looks will match the cars HUGE HP, excellent job.

Can I ask a very questionable question please? Are you really sure you want to mix that much Tasca stuff with the Shelby stuff you are already getting? It would seem to me that a car with "show car" written all over it would be more attractive to the average on looker and voter than a car that was matched with both the Shelby name and tasca. I ask this because here on the West Coast, we have never heard of Tasca, ever?

In ending I love you car and all the enthusiasm you have put into it, I wish I had the opportunity to do mine all over agin. In fact I have even thought about ordering the 2008 and having Shelby do all the stuff that I did not get a chance to do. Catch this too - I am also thinking GT500 as well. This is becuase those cars have been brought to there knees as far as ADM's go and a good deal could be had for 2 to 4 thousand over MSRP right now.

Thanks Adam for sharing and you have outdone everybody on this board with you car, it is an awsome sight to behold. :)

Swede

Adam - I must say you will have an awesome car with huge HP. I will also add that the looks will match the cars HUGE HP, excellent job.

Can I ask a very questionable question please? Are you really sure you want to mix that much Tasca stuff with the Shelby stuff you are already getting? It would seem to me that a car with "show car" written all over it would be more attractive to the average on looker and voter than a car that was matched with both the Shelby name and Tasca. I ask this because here on the West Coast, we have never heard of Tasca, ever?

In ending I love you car and all the enthusiasm you have put into it, I wish I had the opportunity to do mine all over again. In fact I have even thought about ordering the 2008 and having Shelby do all the stuff that I did not get a chance to do. Catch this too - I am also thinking GT500 as well. This is because those cars have been brought to their knees as far as ADM's go and a good deal could be had for 2 to 4 thousand over MSRP right now.

Thanks Adam for sharing and you have outdone everybody on this board with you car, it is an awesome sight to behold.

Swede

Swede, I know we spoke about this on the phone yesterday, but I wanted to respond here so all knew my reply. BTW, as mentioned, please do let all of us know what your final decision ends up being regarding the 07 SGT, 08 SGT or GT500 and the final options you end up with.

For a better understanding of Tasca Ford and why I've wanted my car associated with them, please read the Tasca Ford article I scanned and placed in my Picasa site about their history. That shows how they've been heavily involved with the Mustang (and others), racing, performance, Shelby and other related activities. Their relationship with Shelby is what I wanted to capture in my car from day one, but I had no idea how deep their relationship really was until very recently.

There is also info in the article on my Picasa site about the 1967 Tasca Shelby article which very much relates to my car. It's funny because in my original discussion with them I mentioned that I didn't want any non-Shelby badges on the exterior of my car at all (but I wanted a small Tasca one on the dash). Then, once I read this article, I told them I would be proud to have their badges on my car. Also, I just won a magazine on eBay related to Tasca. It was the original magazine from November 1967 where Hot Rod magazine got the public to write Ford to get them to mass produce the CJ engine. When I get it, I'll scan that too.

Regarding your comment about my having "outdone everyone on this forum," I have to say that I am somewhat embarrassed by that comment. I know you were saying something nice, but I definitely hadn't set out to outdo anyone here. I think all of our cars are special. I've read and heard many stories about what these cars mean to many of us. That's what's so special about these cars and all the great people on this forum. Heck, if I were to have purchased an SGT right off the showroom, that alone would have been special as it would have fulfilled a long-time dream. I never imagined the wonderful things that have happened during this whole experience. I just had an idea where I wanted Tasca associated with my car because of their history. Knowing now how deep that relationship really was/is, I've just gotten much more excited about my car and what it represents to me. I can't wait to get the car and have something built/modified by two Ford Legends and hall-of-famers and to have met them and have them sign my car.

I also want to say thank you again for all of your compliments over the last few months. I'm humbled by your kind words about me and my car. But really, it was just an idea I had when I started this back in January (well, actually it started several years ago when I learned that Shelby would make Mustangs again). I wish I could call it a vision, but the more I think about it, I really didn't realize until recently how much history Tasca and Shelby shared. That's why I was so excited to write this topic.

Your friend, Adam

Adam I too didnt realize the extent of the Shelby/Tasca relationship until recently. I was golfing this past Saturday with my youngest son and my dad and a bunch of others I gold on Saturdays with in a scaramble. Anyway we get done and my dad is showing a freind of his my car out in the parking lot. I met the guy for the first time that day and he was checking out the car and was very impressed. he was asking questions about HP and $ and all that and I mentioned I was going to the Tasca show in August. My dad looks at me and tells me that another freind of the family knows the Tasca guys very well. He is from Rhode Island and moved to Maine and used to hang with them all the time. His name is Chris. I cant spell his last name but Ill get the spelling before the show. Anyway my dad and his freind started talking about how huge Tasca was back in the day and they anything being drag raced out here that wanted to win ran Tasca. Apparently they used to have a drag strip in my hometown of Sanford Maine and Tasca was up eher all the time doing there stuff at the strips. I was amazed. I am into cars and have always been and still had no clue how big they were. So I am now extra excited to go. It will also be a big thrill for me to take my sons down. I think this will be one of those moments you will look back on in yuor life years from now when your kids are all grown and smile and charish :)

The history of Bob Tasca goes way back. I would go to CT. Dragway which was his home track in the 60's and watch every Sunday. Then as I got a little older I began racing at the track. The first car I can remember was the 64 Fairlane Thunder Bolt. Now that was a bad ride.

His tuner during the 1965 AFX glory days was John Healey. If I remember correctly at the 65 Winternationals the AFX Mustangs were 427 cu. in. engines and 5 qualified. You can see his name on most of the Tasca Mustangs. The driver during the Tasca dominance was Bill Lawton. By the way, the first race they entered the car in was the 65 Winternationals and they won the race. He passed a few years ago but his son still operates Lawton Movers in Providence, RI.

John Healey actually tuned my 67 Corvette after he left Tasca and started his own shop near the end of his career.

Adam, next time your at Tasca and run in to Bob Sr. ask him about the "Mystery" series and how it came about. He named his cars

"Mystery" and assigned a number to them. Should be interesting.

Yes there is a great deal of history with the Tasca name and most is associated with drag racing in the 60's and early 70's. I am fortunate to have witnessed some of that history in person.

Wow that's great stuff Roger. And, the more you tell me on the phone, the more fascinated I get. I just had an idea and had no idea how big a deal it really was. You've lived it all along.

Well, anyway, as mentioned on this forum, I ordered on ebay that November 1967 Hot Rod magazine article which helped get the whole CJ engine going. I find it all fascinating. Bob still talks numbers like he did 40 years ago. When we talked last week, he was telling me all sorts of numbers and percentages regarding Ford current events. What a sharp man.

I scanned and posted the article in my Picasa site. If you look at the first paragraph, the author talks about Shelby GT's. I know he meant plural for GT350's and GT500's, but it's cool to see them talking about SGT's 40 years ago. (Tim, does that help my story - LOL).

Boy, Tasca must be a great place to work. People still work there 40-50+ years later. Coincidentially I've been on the phone with Glenn Tiberiis for a little over a week now (thanks to someone on this forum but I forgot who so thanks for the info). Today when I read this article, I was amazed to see him there. I don't yet know if the guy I've been working with is this one in the pic or his son. BTW, for those of you interested in trying to get your car's in the show, ask for Steve Guyette or Glenn.

Enjoy the article. Sorry to bore anyone not interested.

Archived