TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Superchips

Hot Pony

Joe Rod,

I don't remember seeing any post relating to superchips. Most, it seems, are looking at SCT and Diablo. Those with extensive modifications look to be taking to a professional tuner.

Thanks for the info.

Joe

Has anyone gone the superchips way?

Hey Joe,

Small town of Oviedo, FL and I have Joe Rod right down the street about a mile away with his SGT. What are the odds…

Anyway, I'm not sure if Superchips and SCT are the same company or not, but they are both located about 10 minutes from Oviedo (one in Longwood and one in Sanford). Superchips is owned by MSD ignitions.

http://www.superchips.com/

http://www.sctflash.com/

Better yet, if you really want to re-tune your SGT, try VMP tuning in Debary, it's only a 20 minute drive and for about the same price as the Superchips flash tune (non-adjustable) you can get a custom tune, a high flow intake, a hand held SCT tuner with 3 tunes, plus a few pulls on the dyno.

The handheld SCT XCal 2 tuner gives you the ability to load 3 different custom tunes, read/clear DTC codes and also lets you collect and replay a ton of run time data through the ODB port to a laptop. The flash tuners just re-flash the PCM.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p...d=216&parent=93

Justin has done hundreds of Mustangs, his website says:

"This package will add 6-10HP and 6-10TQ with a more agressive custom tune and high flow inlet tube for your stock Ford Racing CAI.

- Increased horsepower and torque.

- Speedometer correction for different rear end gears and/or tires.

- Speed Limiter Removal.

- Rev Limiter adjustment (we safely raise rev limiter several hundred RPM's).

- Improved Electronic Throttle Response

- Firmer Faster shifting with Automatic Transmission vehicles.

- Disabled Traction Control (can be turned off all the time only).

- Ability to read and clear OBD-II check engine light codes.

- Lowered cooling fan on / off temperatures (allows engine to run cooler & prevent sluggishness in hot weather).

- On-Device adjustments (make small adjustments to spark, fuel, automatic shifting, rearend gears / tire size, cooling fan on / off temperatures, and more!)

- Ability to do high speed data logging via the OBD-II port on the X-Cal 2 or Laptop.

- Improved Gas Mileage.

- Ability to run an 87 octane tune to save money at the pump

Personally I would have a hard time spending that kind of money for 6-10 HP but at least he's honest. Plus there are the other features of the tune that will certainly make your SGT more responsive. All of the VMP tunes are verified on the dyno from the baseline to post tune. The baseline SGT in this case was my car at 281 RWHP (before I added the Shelby Paxton SC). So the gains are from the SGT baseline not a stock Mustang GT. You are not likely to get huge HP gains above the FRPP CAI Pro-CAL flash tune that SAI installs in the SGT.

As a kid I remember taking my Schwin Stingray bike apart (with banana seat and slicks), greasing the bearings, putting air in the tires, etc… and I would swear that it was going twice as fast. So the butt dyno’s can be misleading.

Anyone that is claiming flash tuner or custom tuner HP gains greater than the 6-10 HP should back it up with a before/after dyno under the same conditions. There are a lot of tricks you can do to get a 'money shot' on the dyno graph that will look great but are not representative of the everyday performance.

Hey Joe,

Small town of Oviedo, FL and I have Joe Rod right down the street about a mile away with his SGT. What are the odds…

Anyway, I'm not sure if Superchips and SCT are the same company or not, but they are both located about 10 minutes from Oviedo (one in Longwood and one in Sanford). Superchips is owned by MSD ignitions.

http://www.superchips.com/

http://www.sctflash.com/

Better yet, if you really want to re-tune your SGT, try VMP tuning in Debary, it's only a 20 minute drive and for about the same price as the Superchips flash tune (non-adjustable) you can get a custom tune, a high flow intake, a hand held SCT tuner with 3 tunes, plus a few pulls on the dyno.

The handheld SCT XCal 2 tuner gives you the ability to load 3 different custom tunes, read/clear DTC codes and also lets you collect and replay a ton of run time data through the ODB port to a laptop. The flash tuners just re-flash the PCM.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p...d=216&parent=93

Justin has done hundreds of Mustangs, his website says:

"This package will add 6-10HP and 6-10TQ with a more agressive custom tune and high flow inlet tube for your stock Ford Racing CAI.

- Increased horsepower and torque.

- Speedometer correction for different rear end gears and/or tires.

- Speed Limiter Removal.

- Rev Limiter adjustment (we safely raise rev limiter several hundred RPM's).

- Improved Electronic Throttle Response

- Firmer Faster shifting with Automatic Transmission vehicles.

- Disabled Traction Control (can be turned off all the time only).

- Ability to read and clear OBD-II check engine light codes.

- Lowered cooling fan on / off temperatures (allows engine to run cooler & prevent sluggishness in hot weather).

- On-Device adjustments (make small adjustments to spark, fuel, automatic shifting, rearend gears / tire size, cooling fan on / off temperatures, and more!)

- Ability to do high speed data logging via the OBD-II port on the X-Cal 2 or Laptop.

- Improved Gas Mileage.

- Ability to run an 87 octane tune to save money at the pump

Personally I would have a hard time spending that kind of money for 6-10 HP but at least he's honest. Plus there are the other features of the tune that will certainly make your SGT more responsive. All of the VMP tunes are verified on the dyno from the baseline to post tune. The baseline SGT in this case was my car at 281 RWHP (before I added the Shelby Paxton SC). So the gains are from the SGT baseline not a stock Mustang GT. You are not likely to get huge HP gains above the FRPP CAI Pro-CAL flash tune that SAI installs in the SGT.

As a kid I remember taking my Schwin Stingray bike apart (with banana seat and slicks), greasing the bearings, putting air in the tires, etc… and I would swear that it was going twice as fast. So the butt dyno’s can be misleading.

Anyone that is claiming flash tuner or custom tuner HP gains greater than the 6-10 HP should back it up with a before/after dyno under the same conditions. There are a lot of tricks you can do to get a 'money shot' on the dyno graph that will look great but are not representative of the everyday performance.

Look at the "Brenspeed Tune Post", someone there posted a whole story about SCT and what to expect. The correct amount of HP you'll get in the SGT is 20-25, they say, because we already have the 90MM intake. So read that in depth story you'll get alot out of it as it is technical in nature and shows no biased opinions at all.

I'll be interested in seeing some actual dyno results to see what these packages will really do over and above the Ford tune.

I'll be interested in seeing some actual dyno results to see what these packages will really do over and above the Ford tune.

Also keep in mind and i have said it before,

Its the over aspect of the car. There are many different perameters that are change so mostly what you will have is a car that may respond better depending what you do that day, Drag strip, road course, mountain road. A "Drag Tune" would be different than a Road Course" tune or an everyday tune. This gives you a way of setting up your car performance wise depending on your needs. Road Course would make the power curve smoother as a Drag Tune would make it Harder of the line with alot crisper acceleration. You really do need a before and after because all these cars are not created equal.

# 342 may have 275 RWHP, # 519 may have 290 RWHP, # 211 may have 260 RWHP to start with ect.... Just numbers and by no means say thats the figures on those cars. But the Butt dyno can tell you certain things if you have been driving your car for a while then make a change thats that noticable, but by no means can be accurate without the dyno with all the perameters recorded i think we will agree.

Ed :)

Also keep in mind and i have said it before,

Its the over aspect of the car. There are many different perameters that are change so mostly what you will have is a car that may respond better depending what you do that day, Drag strip, road course, mountain road. A "Drag Tune" would be different than a Road Course" tune or an everyday tune....

Butt dyno can tell you certain things if you have been driving your car for a while then make a change thats that noticable, but by no means can be accurate without the dyno with all the perameters recorded i think we will agree.

Ed :)

Amen brother - agree 100% - I’ve spent about 8 hours and 30-40 dyno pulls custom tuning my car for the way I want it set up. It’s perfect right now for the tunes I’m looking for.

Now it’s on to wheels, tires, driveshaft, gear ratios, or whatever tweaks are needed to fit the situation.

I’m halfway between Daytona and Seabring road tracks so I’ll be running the car as-is for fun on those tracks.

The local drag strip is another story. I’ve got enough horsepower/tourqe and decent handling but without some good drag radials I probably won’t be able to break out of the 13 second range. The 60 foot times with road tires just won’t get it there. It’s rained the last 5-6 Wednesday nights so I’ll have to keep waiting to find out.

Spent this morning in the performance shop looking at some rear drag wheel/tire setups. I think a swapable pair of these will be the next addition to an already great car.

Amen brother - agree 100% - I’ve spent about 8 hours and 30-40 dyno pulls custom tuning my car for the way I want it set up. It’s perfect right now for the tunes I’m looking for.

Now it’s on to wheels, tires, driveshaft, gear ratios, or whatever tweaks are needed to fit the situation.

I’m halfway between Daytona and Seabring road tracks so I’ll be running the car as-is for fun on those tracks.

The local drag strip is another story. I’ve got enough horsepower/tourqe and decent handling but without some good drag radials I probably won’t be able to break out of the 13 second range. The 60 foot times with road tires just won’t get it there. It’s rained the last 5-6 Wednesday nights so I’ll have to keep waiting to find out.

Spent this morning in the performance shop looking at some rear drag wheel/tire setups. I think a swapable pair of these will be the next addition to an already great car.

+1 on the DR's............................. :)

Archived