TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Map Light Accent Kit - need better adhesive

ZepDad

Purchased the Shelby Map Light Accent kit for a bit of interior dress up. Unfortunately the <bleep> thing won't stick properly using the 3M double coated film tape (not foam dc tape). I pressed and held for quite a while but within a few minutes the corners came up. A little time in the heat and it comes up even worse. Any adhesive ideas? Needs to be something permanent (plastic to aluminum) that can withstand a hot interior. Nothing bulky like foam double sided tape because it needs to lay tight on the map light assembly.

By the way, the button covers come with no adhesive tape. I guess they are just supposed to press on but mine just fall off.

Nice try by Shelby and Scott Drake, but I'd give this kit zero stars. It's unusable without better adhesives.

Same thing happened to me. I then tried some silicon adhesive which worked for about 2 days. Then the high interior temperatures softened the RTV and the trim fell off. It peeled off pretty easy and I tried some heavy duty foam type double side sticky tape. Available at most car parts stores or home improvement stores. Believe it was a 3M product. Works great!! Haven't had any problems. Use a strip from one end of the trim to the other, otherwise the curved shape might pull itself away and separate again. Did the same with the buttom trim caps. Good luck.

I bought the trim pieces for the washer fluid nozzles, same deal. Wouldn't stick. The silicon adhesive worked great for this application.

Purchased the Shelby Map Light Accent kit for a bit of interior dress up. Unfortunately the <bleep> thing won't stick properly using the 3M double coated film tape (not foam dc tape). I pressed and held for quite a while but within a few minutes the corners came up. A little time in the heat and it comes up even worse. Any adhesive ideas? Needs to be something permanent (plastic to aluminum) that can withstand a hot interior. Nothing bulky like foam double sided tape because it needs to lay tight on the map light assembly.

By the way, the button covers come with no adhesive tape. I guess they are just supposed to press on but mine just fall off.

Nice try by Shelby and Scott Drake, but I'd give this kit zero stars. It's unusable without better adhesives.

Same thing happened to me. I e-mailed Shelby twice about my problem and asked for replacement 3m adhesive.

Never received a reply. Hesitant to make any more buys.

Same thing happened to me. I e-mailed Shelby twice about my problem and asked for replacement 3m adhesive.

Never received a reply. Hesitant to make any more buys.

I had the same problem with mine from SPP. I bought one last year on a site for my stock GT and had the same problem with it and I beleive that one was made by Scott Drake. All of these products cost alot of money and they are not what they are supposed to be.

I had the same problem with mine from SPP. I bought one last year on a site for my stock GT and had the same problem with it and I beleive that one was made by Scott Drake. All of these products cost alot of money and they are not what they are supposed to be.

thanks guy im not going to buy and i was going too

This is the advice I was given by John W. So far it has worked and I haven't had a problem. The buttons are easy, silcon adhesive. A little dollop in the cover and then press and hold on the buttons for a few seconds.

The accent trim itself is a little tricker. You probably noticed that the trim piece's contour doesn't match that of the housing it is supposed to go onto. John advised carefully bend the sides of the trim piece at the corners to fit more snug around the housing piece. Bend it a little more then the angle of the housing's corner. Try to get as snug as fit as you can before pulling the paper off the adhesive. It may take a couple of trys to get it to fit right. Then when you remove the paper and press on the trim piece the sides should almost pop into place. Well it didn't quite so I used a little bit of sicone on the sides also.

The key is to make the trim piece's shape more like the housing piece. Good luck.

The tape they use is not very good. I had mine come off in the heat. To fix the problem I bought some of the same style tape at NAPA and cleaned the plastic with an alcohol swab before I put the piece back on. It hasn't fallen off yet.

My button covers didn't come with tape either, did anyones? To get mine to stay on I had to gently pinch in the edges. The edges of them look like they are supposed to catch the top of the button, so I persuaded mine to fit.

I went through this a couple of months ago. I purchased some thick two sided tape at Home Depot (I could probably get the brand if you need it) and put a piece over their tape and cut out a couple of pieces to hold in the sides. It has been on now ever since without a problem. It may stick out a little bit more than they intended, but it looks good and I am glad I bought it.

Me two. It looks like there was more than just a couple of us that had problem with these things sticking. I also have the Anti theft option that has two holes drilled in it, one on each end. Not too sure I like the look of a ruff cut holes in it either. The holes also makes it more difficult to get the corners to stick because you don't want to see the tape showing through the holes. I just thought it was going to be a lot thicker...it's doesn't seem much thicker than 3 layers of foil. I'm going to rip it off and try taping it again (will be the third time).

Me two. It looks like there was more than just a couple of us that had problem with these things sticking. I also have the Anti theft option that has two holes drilled in it, one on each end. Not too sure I like the look of a ruff cut holes in it either. The holes also makes it more difficult to get the corners to stick because you don't want to see the tape showing through the holes. I just thought it was going to be a lot thicker...it's doesn't seem much thicker than 3 layers of foil. I'm going to rip it off and try taping it again (will be the third time).

Lets think about this for a minute guys, we spend all this money on these products should we have to go thru this to make it work, NO! That is like me going to a homeowners house and setting a toilet and the homeowner calls back and says the toilet is rocking, am I suppose to tell them to silicone it or tape it to the floor? No I got to get myself back there and make it right. They know what is going on with these products. For the money they charge the stuff should install itself!

Lets think about this for a minute guys, we spend all this money on these products should we have to go thru this to make it work, NO! That is like me going to a homeowners house and setting a toilet and the homeowner calls back and says the toilet is rocking, am I suppose to tell them to silicone it or tape it to the floor? No I got to get myself back there and make it right. They know what is going on with these products. For the money they charge the stuff should install itself!

Definately agree.

Same problem, but I formed the trim to fit perfectly around the light accent, then applied RTV and it has been holding for about a month now.

Same thing happened to me. First the easy one. The buttons can be fixed by squeezing the edges and then slipping them on. Mine are holding after 2 months.

The main piece needs some help with 3M Emblem and Trim Adeshive. I used a cotton swap and just put some on each curved end. Then held it on with masking tape for an hour and it has held for 2 months now.

I bet that the special 3M adhesive promoter that is supposed to be used with the tape would work but I couldn't find any.

Agree with all. Ordered it...installation instructions and adhesive inadequate...tried to fix myself..fell off....finally just threw away...lesson learned..no more parts for me...quality is inferior for sure. Steve

Guys, we had the same problem and realized we didnt clean the serface well enough, once we did that, our stick well. If you have cleaned the surace well, please email on the spp site so we can take another look at this.

Amy

Guys, we had the same problem and realized we didnt clean the serface well enough, once we did that, our stick well. If you have cleaned the surace well, please email on the spp site so we can take another look at this.

Amy

I cleaned the surface with alcohol, before I applied the trim, but it would only stick for a day or two.

I cleaned the surface with alcohol, before I applied the trim, but it would only stick for a day or two.

+1

I was very, very careful to thoroughly clean with alcohol and it still loosened on the ends. The 3M Emblem and Trim adhesive on these area fixed it.

Amy

Amy, the surface on mine was clean and oil free. I communicated with your staff months ago that the adhesive wasn't enough after I was sent a replacement to the first one that wasn't sticking and the second one wasn't any better. With the ribbed surface on the car and the curved edges, the tape provided doesn't really have enough contact area to hold. A little thicker tape that goes around the sides is necessary to keep this thing in place.

Art

I dont know what tape they are using but my advise is this:

First off clean the part with alchohol as some have done. Most parts that are injection molded have a release spray on them so they come out of the mold quick and fast. That way the chinese can get more parts out per hour and pay even less pennies per day to their slaves....er I mean people. Next when joining plastic to ANYTHING you need to a tape that works on what is called "low surface energy plastics". Which means being that it is plastic it doesnt give the tape enough to stick to. 3M makes many of these products. They do also make a cleaner you can use prior to putting the tape on but depending on the parts it can be messy. We buy some of the 3M stuff we use like this from a company on the East Coast called Bristol Tape. 1-800-336-5941. I am not sure what size rolls you can get. We buy them in 24" widths so they wont do much good on small parts. Bristol will slit rolls so hopefully theer isnt a min roll buy. Anyway hopefully this will help.

Thanks to everyone for responding. Seems I hit a raw nerve. I agree that the adhesive should be appropriate for the kit. It doesn't seem like much thought was given. Furthermore, if special preparation is required, as Amy suggested, then instructions should be included.

Based on everyone's suggestions I ended up using 3M's Automotive Mounting Tape for the accent piece. Purchased at Advance Auto Parts (bar code # 5113103410). It causes the accent to stick out a little further (thickness is about 15mm) but it's not really noticeable. So far it's holding strong yet I suspect that changing temps will eventually cause it to deteriorate and fail. For the buttons I used small drops of 3M's Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive. I may eventually redo the accent piece with the Trim Adhesive, but I was a little hesitant to use a liquid adhesive on a larger area. A previous poster had success so that gives me more confidence.

Hopefully SAI can improve future kits based on our feedback.

Archived