TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What kind of Oil

GTHERO

I have attached an comparison test from an old Car Craft thread I saved some time ago. Interesting restults vs. HP gains and Oil Pressure concerns with synthetic.

The SVT techs in MI had advised me that the 4.6 DOHC 04 Cobra motor was designed to have conventional oil for 5,000 mile for initial break in. Then the synthetic could be added safely. I chaged it out at 3,000 with Mobil 1. I never had an issue and picked up 3 RWHP with no other change other than the matching Mobil 1 oil filter.

Here is the article

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/synth...nventional_oil/

What oil would be best to use with the SGT conventional or synthetic and why?

I use synthetic in all my autos.

Synthetics are environmentally superior for the simple reason that they last about three times as long as conventional oils before they have to be drained and replaced.

Additionally, synthetics have lower volatility and therefore do not boil off or vaporize as quickly as petroleum motor oils. Synthetics lose from 4 percent to 10 percent of their mass in the high-heat conditions of internal combustion engines, whereas petroleum-based oils lose up to 20 percent.

Because a synthetic oil is chemically produced, there are no contaminants in the oil. By contrast, conventional oils contain small amounts of sulfur, wax, and asphaltic material that can promote detonation as well as varnish and sludge buildup. With no wax, synthetics will flow at much lower temperatures than conventional oils. In fact, synthetic oils are now available with viscosity ratings as low as 0W-30

Bottom line less engine parts wear, longer engine life, and oil change interval is increased.

I have Amsoil synthetic in everything I own with the exception of my 94 Cobra. It has been on Mobil 1 since new and I just don't see the need to change.

My brother started selling Amsoil a few years ago and finally hounded me into switching. I must admit I was skeptical at first but the stuff has made me a believer. I have seen better fuel mileage, more power and longer oil life. In my Chevy I only change it once a year or after 25,000. In the Shelby I am going to change every six months but I don't think it would be necessary.

Whether you use Amsoil or another synthetic I would highly recommend switching. I remember one of the writers at Muscle Mustangs was so impressed with the results of switching to synthetics that he said if someone wasn't using synthetics then he wanted them on the starting line next to him. He said with both cars being mechanically equal the one with synthetics would win every time.

When is it recommended for 1st oil change? at how many miles?

This web site has alot of oil geeks on its forum.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I asked the same question of whether to go with full synthetic (Mobil 1 5W20) or stay with Motorcraft blend.

Some of these guys are so fanatical about their oil they have a sample analyzed after every oil change to measure for wear particles of various metals used in the engine!

Someone had data for 5W20 MC blend and Mobil 1 based on the number of miles between oil change and the ppm of various particles. There was no difference in the amount of wear between the two oils. The main difference was that the MC blend started to break down sooner than the full synthetic and you wouldn't want to go 5000-7500 miles on it like you could for Mobil 1. BUT if you are going to change your oil and filter every 3000 miles, the consensus was that you are wasting your money to use Mobil 1. These guys usually try to get as many miles as they can between oil changes (which is the main point of full synthetics).

I also called a Ford service rep that I trust and he said he has seen Mustang 4.6L engines that have gone to full synthetic too early before fully breaking in, start using excessive oil at 50-60K miles. He recommemded staying with the MC blend for 10-12K and then switch to full synthetic. This, he said, he has only seen with the new Mustang engines.

I believe under extreme conditions (high temp with a stuck thermostat, etc), Mobil 1 would probably break down less and give better protection in that extreme. However, it's probably a waste of money if you change the oil every 3000 miles. Keep in mind, most filters need to be changed every 3000 miles too, so if you change the filter you might as well change the oil (which is the reverse way of looking at it).

I changed my oil for the first time at 1400 miles. I used a FRPP oil filter which has a high rating and I used the Motorcraft 5W20 blend. I'll change it every 3000 miles and I'll probably stick with the MC blend for 10-12K and then go to Mobil 1, but we'll see.

This web site has alot of oil geeks on its forum.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I also called a Ford service rep that I trust and he said he has seen Mustang 4.6L engines that have gone to full synthetic too early before fully breaking in, start using excessive oil at 50-60K miles. He recommemded staying with the MC blend for 10-12K and then switch to full synthetic. This, he said, he has only seen with the new Mustang engines.

Good info, I will run this by our Ford service guy and see if he agrees.

GTHero and all, great post and info.

What are your thoughts about Q synthetic?

Both the regular Musatng GT manual and Shelby GT manual recommend synthetic oil every 5,000 mi. I also am wondering if I should do the first oil change at 1,000 mi. I will use synthetic for all oil changes. It is safe to assume that synthetic was put in at the factory since this is what's recommended? Any thoughts?

Both the regular Musatng GT manual and Shelby GT manual recommend synthetic oil every 5,000 mi. I also am wondering if I should do the first oil change at 1,000 mi. I will use synthetic for all oil changes. It is safe to assume that synthetic was put in at the factory since this is what's recommended? Any thoughts?

No, A synthetic blend, Motorcraft 5W20 was put in at the factory. The Ford test spec for the oil is in the manual and I believe Mobil 1, 5W20 full synthetic is the only one that also meets it in addition to the Motorcraft 5W20. However, there is a school of thought that you need to develop wear patterns for all the sliding parts and the wear inhibiting additives and POSSIBLY full synthetic oil are not to be used until they are developed.

There are also other schools of thought on how to break in an engine. Normally taking it easy for the first 500 miles to develop the wear patterns. Some think that if you are going to race and abuse it, you should do it from the get go. That way you develop the right wear patterns for how it's going to be used. I don't know which is right but I took it easy on mine for 500 miles and only pushed it a few times since then.

These guys took a GT500 with less than 20 miles on it and took it to the track to base line it before modding the heck out of it. It probably had 20, 1/4 mile runs plus all the dyno runs on it before it had 100 miles on it .

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/

I've read tech papers that say synthetic positively lubricates better during cold start, resulting in much less engine wear.

I don't have trouble believing this. Some believe 0W20 full synthetic oil is the right thing to use because of this. I think for cold starts and overheating extremes, Mobil 1, 5W20 synthetic is better. Which is why I'll switch to Mobil 1, 5W20, when the time comes. The question is how many miles do I wait? I'm still pondering that. Tribology is complicated and apples to apples comparisons of data are hard to come by when it comes to oil types and long term engine wear especially for our Mustang engine.

Just to complicate it a little............according to the web site for Mobil 1, 5W20, full synthetic oil, it was specifically developed for engines like this Mustang engine and the 350Z engine.

I've told my wife,to not use 100% synthetic till the car reaches 30,000 miles,which is typical of your consumer cars,in regards to max HP a car will have in it's lifetime. I too believe a 100% synthetic should be avoided,on the first 5-6 oil changes. Rings and valve guides etc still wearin in. Rings and cam need to be broken in with varying speeds,for the first 50 miles,and first 500 miles. I discussed with wifey how to drive it etc during the first 500 miles. They claim now-adays,that the engine is broken in at factory,and that's prob true as far as the cam.

I had to stop at the Ford dealer today to pick up something, and I talked to my mechanic that is also a SVT certified mechanic....and he does all the local mustang cars.

I asked him about synthetic. He said I am definately too early ( 3100 miles ) and he said if I plan on doing regular oil changes ...then the blend is fine. He said if the car sits alot...he would definately switch to synthetic..but not yet. He told me to get through a few more oil changes and then we will talk about it.

I had to stop at the Ford dealer today to pick up something, and I talked to my mechanic that is also a SVT certified mechanic....and he does all the local mustang cars.

I asked him about synthetic. He said I am definately too early ( 3100 miles ) and he said if I plan on doing regular oil changes ...then the blend is fine. He said if the car sits alot...he would definately switch to synthetic..but not yet. He told me to get through a few more oil changes and then we will talk about it.

Sits alot? Maybe because of more moisture getting in the oil and having some affect? A few more oil changes gets you to 10-12K. Sooooooooooooo..... maybe then is when I switch to Mobil 1?

Thanks for another piece of the puzzle SDEAR!

Sits alot? Maybe because of more moisture getting in the oil and having some affect? A few more oil changes gets you to 10-12K. Sooooooooooooo..... maybe then is when I switch to Mobil 1?

Thanks for another piece of the puzzle SDEAR!

I told him that it was once 6 months on my 04 GT before it hit 3000 miles for an oil change. He said in that case he would switch to full synthetic. He was definate on waiting for more miles to change it over.

One thing to bear in mind during this never ending oil debate, if it matters to you - in order to maintain your warranty your oil and filter needs to be changed at the intervals recommended by the owner's manual.

Also, about this moisture thing. The moisture is going to get into the crankcase no matter what, then oil pan, and sit on top of the oil whether its synthetic or not, it would seem to me. Doesn't that make sense? Therefore I don't see the need to switch to synthetic just because the car sits a lot.

One thing to bear in mind during this never ending oil debate, if it matters to you - in order to maintain your warranty your oil and filter needs to be changed at the intervals recommended by the owner's manual.

Also, about this moisture thing. The moisture is going to get into the crankcase no matter what, then oil pan, and sit on top of the oil whether its synthetic or not, it would seem to me. Doesn't that make sense? Therefore I don't see the need to switch to synthetic just because the car sits a lot.

I'm guessing the moisture increases the rate of breakdown in the conventional and blended oils. If the car isn't driven often the moisture will not be driven out of the oil due to heat.

Archived