TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brenspeed Tunes with SCT, yes or no?

SWEDESHELBY1

I am highly considering a Brenspeed SCT tune on my SGT. I have done research and found that they can make the SGT a better performance car alnong with a better all around driving car with much better throttle response, seat of your pants quicker "feeling" and just a better SGT in all performance wise.

What is your take on a different tune by Brenspeed SCT Tuning vs the standard Shelby tune? Would you do it or not?

Thanks for the replies. B)

Swede,

would and am doing it as soon as I receive my car. Nothing will inpact the performance of these cars like a good tune from a professional tuner. I am doing an SCT custom tune on an SC'ed car with some addtional modifications.

Roger

Swede,

would and am doing it as soon as I receive my car. Nothing will inpact the performance of these cars like a good tune from a professional tuner. I am doing an SCT custom tune on an SC'ed car with some addtional modifications.

Roger

I was reading where the SCT could add 20 RWHP but you have to manually tweak everything and it's dog's nipples. Seemed too complicated for a dumb country boy like myself.

Just how much gain is to be had over the tune we currently have? If the SCT says 20hp and SAI already gave us 10hp, does that equal 30hp or just a total of 10 more hp than current? I aint paying $400 for 10 HP. I can buy a lot of airplane fuel for that! ;)

I am highly considering a Brenspeed SCT tune on my SGT. I have done research and found that they can make the SGT a better performance car alnong with a better all around driving car with much better throttle response, seat of your pants quicker "feeling" and just a better SGT in all performance wise.

What is your take on a different tune by Brenspeed SCT Tuning vs the standard Shelby tune? Would you do it or not?

Thanks for the replies. B)

I think Ed S. has a Brenspeed tune in his car. You might want to ask him.

I was reading where the SCT could add 20 RWHP but you have to manually tweak everything and it's dog's nipples. Seemed too complicated for a dumb country boy like myself.

Just how much gain is to be had over the tune we currently have? If the SCT says 20hp and SAI already gave us 10hp, does that equal 30hp or just a total of 10 more hp than current? I aint paying $400 for 10 HP. I can buy a lot of airplane fuel for that! ;)

Stump,

With the other options I am having done and or doing myself I expect and easy 500. Let you know when it's done. I mean after I finally get it home. But my tuner is a friend of mine and an SCT dealer. His little computer works wonders. ;)

I called Paxton headquarters a few weeks ago to see if they would recommend someone in my tri-state area (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana) to install a Shelby/Paxton supercharger on my SGT. He recommended only one shop, Brenspeed. I have been in contact with Brent at Brenspeed. He said no problem. The only changes to the kit that he would suggest was to use a different fuel pump and a step colder plug, and of course, their Brenspeed tune. I have talked to Brent two times. I was impressed with his knowledge. My car was sent before I knew about the SGT/SC option. Should I send it back to Las Vegas or order the SC and have Brenspeed install?

I called Paxton headquarters a few weeks ago to see if they would recommend someone in my tri-state area (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana) to install a Shelby/Paxton supercharger on my SGT. He recommended only one shop, Brenspeed. I have been in contact with Brent at Brenspeed. He said no problem. The only changes to the kit that he would suggest was to use a different fuel pump and a step colder plug, and of course, their Brenspeed tune. I have talked to Brent two times. I was impressed with his knowledge. My car was sent before I knew about the SGT/SC option. Should I send it back to Las Vegas or order the SC and have Brenspeed install?

Can we install a Paxton/Shelby supercharger and have our local Ford Dealership install it....while retaining our SAI Warranty? If so, will SAI send a sealed tuned chip along with such an order to my dealership? This is the way Roush does it (so says my dealership).

Anyone?

Can we install a Paxton/Shelby supercharger and have our local Ford Dealership install it....while retaining our SAI Warranty? If so, will SAI send a sealed tuned chip along with such an order to my dealership? This is the way Roush does it (so says my dealership).

Anyone?

SGT, I am serious now. DO NOT do a Rousch SC when you have a Shelby GT! If you have a Rousch Mustang would you put a Shelby SC in it? No. So why would you even consider the Rousch? OK that being said. Shelby will send your authorized Shelby installer everything they need to install the SC, even possibly the GT/SC stripe kit. Bud originally said he was not going to do this but since Shelby has taken so long to do the SC's they have changed their tune a bit. This is only logical and a good business due to the time or should I say NO TIME to install any SC let alone get all the cars out and they want to be a good partner with Ford. So do the Shelby SC, get the stripe kit and have yourslef an original SC car, only Ford did the install instead of SAI which some had done previously when their cars were there.

Good luck. B)

Note: Now everybopdy who has an SC will be calling Bud to scream and yell about the Gt/SC stripe kit!

First, I admit I'm not an expert in this area, but from what I have gathered over the last 3 years, your best bet on the aftermarket tune is to get your car optimally tuned on a dynonameter.

Tunes from Brenspeed and Bamachips are good, but each car is a little different. I heard of a few incidents where these tunes ran certain cars too lean and on other cars the same tune was right on the money (I'm talking about their canned tunes).

In the hands of a competent dyno chassis operator, they can adjust the tune for your specific car. It may cost a little more, but you will have the peace of mind knowing that the tune for your car is optimized for both performance and engine safety.

Now if you can take your car to Brenspeed and have it dynotuned there, that would be ideal.

First, I admit I'm not an expert in this area, but from what I have gathered over the last 3 years, your best bet on the aftermarket tune is to get your car optimally tuned on a dynonameter.

Tunes from Brenspeed and Bamachips are good, but each car is a little different. I heard of a few incidents where these tunes ran certain cars too lean and on other cars the same tune was right on the money (I'm talking about their canned tunes).

In the hands of a competent dyno chassis operator, they can adjust the tune for your specific car. It may cost a little more, but you will have the peace of mind knowing that the tune for your car is optimized for both performance and engine safety.

Now if you can take your car to Brenspeed and have it dynotuned there, that would be ideal.

The tunes that Brenspeed has for the Shelby's come like this: a blank SCT tuner?! Why? Because every Shelby has a different strategy, options, SC, gear ratios etc.. etc... The only way Brenspeed can tune the car precisley is to first find the strategy by sending you a "blank" SCT Tuner. Then you down load the Shelby & Ford Racing components in the car and email it back to them, then they can tune it from there. They essentially do a specific custom tune to everything that car has in it exactly as you want, carving the curves, drag night, 91 octane, 93 octane what ever you wish to have in your Shelby they'll provide. Note: This is NOT the mild tune that Shelby has in it right now, but a night and day difference in the way the car performs. So you are right Adam and AFBLUE, you need precise tunes NOT canned tunes. That is why they will NOT send a canned tune for either a Shelby GT500 or a Shelby GT. And yes that is why I went with Brenspeed because it is a specific tune made specific for the "my" SGT. Also Ed.S on this forum went with the Brenspeed Tune and he swears by it so I had someone to go to as a source as well. B)

I learned something new.

If you go this route, it would be interesting to see a before and after dynotune, so you could see how much difference there is between the FRPP and the Brenspeed tune.

A member over on TMS had got 289rwhp only with a Steeda CAI (same one used on the SGT) and 93 octane bama chips tune. About 9 more rwhp than the stock manual SGTs 280rwhp are getting.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...627&postcount=1

I think I would still like a warm fuzzy on the dyno to make sure everthing was running properly.

I learned something new.

If you go this route, it would be interesting to see a before and after dynotune, so you could see how much difference there is between the FRPP and the Brenspeed tune.

A member over on TMS had got 289rwhp only with a Steeda CAI (IIRC same as the SGT one) and 93 octane bama chips tune. About 9 more rwhp than the stock manual SGTs 280rwhp are getting.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...627&postcount=1

I think I would still like a warm fuzzy on the dyno to make sure everthing was running properly.

You see the RWHP is not the only thing I am looking for here. What you say!!! I am looking for seat of the pants, a G-Force feel if I may call it, not the actual RWHP. I know and you know the only way to actually get the 475-500 RWHP is to S/C the car, so this is the best way to get a stronger launch, more torque, better driving car, and yes finally a few more ponies, maybe 10-20 HP more. So that is my intention NOT the RWHP that you refer to. I think if you are truly interested in that, don't buy an SGT unles you have SAI SC the car, as Solcaljafo, Adam and others have done or are doing. I just want a much more responsive SGT. But if i had to do it over, well we are talking a different story her now aren't we- big brakes, SC, 20" razors, CS6 hood, gauge package etc...etc...etc...etc... and of course all from SAI becasue that is where you'll get the best resale, if you ever decided to sell it. Plus it is ALL Shelby then, 100% show and go from the man himself.

Note: The last thing I will add is the 4:10 gears, I think!

SGT, I am serious now. DO NOT do a Rousch SC when you have a Shelby GT! If you have a Rousch Mustang would you put a Shelby SC in it? No. So why would you even consider the Rousch? OK that being said. Shelby will send your authorized Shelby installer everything they need to install the SC, even possibly the GT/SC stripe kit. Bud originally said he was not going to do this but since Shelby has taken so long to do the SC's they have changed their tune a bit. This is only logical and a good business due to the time or should I say NO TIME to install any SC let alone get all the cars out and they want to be a good partner with Ford. So do the Shelby SC, get the stripe kit and have yourslef an original SC car, only Ford did the install instead of SAI which some had done previously when their cars were there.

Good luck. B)

Note: Now everybopdy who has an SC will be calling Bud to scream and yell about the Gt/SC stripe kit!

NO NO NO....I never would install anything but official SHELBY goodies to my car. I was just saying that my Ford dealership was explaining to me how Roush handles the PMC tune when the dealership installs one of their superchargers on a car. I was wondering if SHELBY would also send a "shelby tuned" chip with an ordered Paxton/Shelby Supercharger.....along with a stripe kit, of course!???

Also was wondering if the Shelby Warranty would be voided if my local dealership was to install the Shelby/Paxton supercharger, etc.?

Swede, I can't remember but I think you were also going to do all the other things to add g-force HP? I'm thinking the underdrive pulleys, CAI inlet tube, possibly the charge motion plates (regular not econo) and, although not proven to add HP, the throttle body spacer?

Swede, I can't remember but I think you were also going to do all the other things to add g-force HP? I'm thinking the underdrive pulleys, CAI inlet tube, possibly the charge motion plates (regular not econo) and, although not proven to add HP, the throttle body spacer?

Adam- Well at first I was but I am still considering, in the future, of installing an SC with SAI. So until I really make up my mind on what I am doing with the SGT I am adding just a few things that will make me happier for now. The only other thing I am going to install is the 3:90's or 4:10 gears, one or the other that is for sure. Yes I am still going back and forth on the 4:10's!

Adam- Well at first I was but I am still considering, in the future, of installing an SC with SAI. So until I really make up my mind on what I am doing with the SGT I am adding just a few things that will make me happier for now. The only other thing I am going to install is the 3:90's or 4:10 gears, one or the other that is for sure. Yes I am still going back and forth on the 4:10's!

Smart moves.

I have moved back to going with the 3:73 gears because of the S/C. I am taking John's advise on that one. He pretty much insists that's the best way to go.

Hi all!!!!

When you have your vehicle , you can to do it what ever you like. Some of the stuff out there being done is way too kool!!!!!!! But, if you have a Paxton installed and you change the tune, you WILL VOID the Paxton warranty. The Paxton kit comes with everything you need. There is no chip to install. The complete tune comes with the hand held scanner. The Paxton S/C we use is smog approved in all 50 states. . Just a little something to think about. :D

Well, we are still holing firm on the GT S/C stripe. To get it, it will have to be done at SAI. Sorry folks.

Bud

.......But, if you have a Paxton installed and you change the tune, you WILL VOID the Paxton warranty. The Paxton kit comes with everything you need. There is no chip to install. The complete tune comes with the hand held scanner. The Paxton S/C we use is smog approved in all 50 states. . Just a little something to think about. :D

......Bud, then I have a serious problem and since you brought it up and I haven't gotten a response from SAI in over two weeks. My car was delivered to me with a supercharger that was missing a fuse, was detonating, so overly rich it didn't show up on the graph, and was only making 351 at the wheels. Even if I use the more generous 15% rule that is only 413 Hp for the engine. Well below the 50 state legal 462 HP promised by SAI. So yes my car has been retuned to be healthy. If that voided the warranty and then I have something to live with but I will no longer be the quiet loyal customer on this and other forums.

You and John have my contact info.

Respectfully,

Chris #187

......Bud, then I have a serious problem and since you brought it up and I haven't gotten a response from SAI in over two weeks. My car was delivered to me with a supercharger that was missing a fuse, was detonating, so overly rich it didn't show up on the graph, and was only making 351 at the wheels. Even if I use the more generous 15% rule that is only 413 Hp for the engine. Well below the 50 state legal 462 HP promised by SAI. So yes my car has been retuned to be healthy. If that voided the warranty and then I have something to live with but I will no longer be the quiet loyal customer on this and other forums.

You and John have my contact info.

Respectfully,

Chris #187

Socal- Shelby is extremely serious about retuning an SC. I have called several times as I wanted a SC only to find that if you got the Paxon SC and changed the tune your warranty was 100% void, no questions asked. If you had sent your car back to Shelby to do the modifications on the SC then you could have had a chance but now that you did it yourself, Shelby says your warranty is void!! I do not like it either but I can see their point too, they just can not have people changing their tunes on the SC when they leave the Shelby factory. You do have one good argument though, you did get in done by an authorized Shelby installer didn't you? I hope you did, dam I hope you did! B)

....yes I did have it retuned by an authorized installer. They are even on the Paxton web site. I also looked in my Paxton installers manual and it does say that the warranty is void if you use a third party PCM programming. It isn't just SAI. Here is the rub though. Both authorized Paxton installers I have been to custom tune their installs on a dyno after they install Paxton superchargers. They don't use the tune that comes from Paxton.

Again I just want to remind whoever may be reading this, I didn't retune my car for extra horsepower. I retuned my car because it was sick (detonation, extremely rich, 50 Horsepower off advertisement). Driving the car 400 more miles back to Vegas to correct the problem would have been unreasonable. Three pages after the warranty in the installers manual, it says: "Always listen for any sign of detonation (pinging) and discontinue hard use (no boost) until problem is resolved. The problem is resolved.

I will close by saying I am not trying to bad mouth SAI or their work. Problems and mistakes happen. That doesn't define my relationship with anybody in business or friendship. What defines my relationship is how people correct the problems and mistakes. SAI and I are working on correcting my problems privately.

....yes I did have it retuned by an authorized installer. They are even on the Paxton web site. I also looked in my Paxton installers manual and it does say that the warranty is void if you use a third party PCM programming. It isn't just SAI. Here is the rub though. Both authorized Paxton installers I have been to custom tune their installs on a dyno after they install Paxton superchargers. They don't use the tune that comes from Paxton.

Again I just want to remind whoever may be reading this, I didn't retune my car for extra horsepower. I retuned my car because it was sick (detonation, extremely rich, 50 Horsepower off advertisement). Driving the car 400 more miles back to Vegas to correct the problem would have been unreasonable. Three pages after the warranty in the installers manual, it says: "Always listen for any sign of detonation (pinging) and discontinue hard use (no boost) until problem is resolved. The problem is resolved.

I will close by saying I am not trying to bad mouth SAI or their work. Problems and mistakes happen. That doesn't define my relationship with anybody in business or friendship. What defines my relationship is how people correct the problems and mistakes. SAI and I are working on correcting my problems privately.

You have NOTHING to worry about you did it right. They CAN NOT void your warranty for that. Good work and good job. B)

Archived