TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood replacement - Part 2

Crucible

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info Amy. We will await your return. And lets all try and remember something about this entire process...if it was easy everyone would be doing it. There may be problems but they are trying and while we all take a stab at armchair qb'n not one of us has our b*lls on the line making cars so lets be patient :)

Thanks for the info Amy. We will await your return. And lets all try and remember something about this entire process...if it was easy everyone would be doing it. There may be problems but they are trying and while we all take a stab at armchair qb'n not one of us has our b*lls on the line making cars so lets be patient :)

Ok...while I agree in sprit with what you're saying but the real lesson is that in the end it's cheaper to do it right than to do it at the lowest possible cost. In this case SAI followed Ford's method, which is also reported to have issues, with a scoop of questionable quality, and workmanship. You can point some measure of blame I suppose to Ford for the manner by which the scoops are attached but the dimples, waves, and bulges, are not installation issues.

Someone here said that it would have cost too much to create an aluminum scoop and while that may have been true I would love to monday morning quarterback that when balanced against the costs should we have to replace all the existing scoops. We're talking $$$ that I'm pretty confident will amount to more than what it would have cost to simply do it right the first time.

I'm really concerned with any QA process that didn't see my wavy, bulging, scoop as I did within the first 5 minutes behind the wheel of my car. My car shipped at the end of May when we all knew of and had identified issues with these scoops and back in March. We had been told a new design was going to be coming to solve these issues. The fact that my car shipped two months later with so many issues should be cause for concern.

Maybe it's my frustration of having to take pictures for a second time and the stories of damaged stripes and hoods as dealers try to fix the issues, coming through. But I have run out of "get of of jail free" cards for all this stuff sorry!

And while I seriously appreciate Amy's post with the promise of a solution I suddenly feel the urge to make a list of things we've been promised but NEVER seen. Remember the new grill or grill brackets? The infamous black grill? Remember the rear gas cap? Why do I have hood pins that pop out long after we were told this issue had been fixed? I don't mean to come off like this but I don't know how else to express my frustration with what I see as a BEAUTIFUL car that has annoyances that will drive you crazy and a warranty process that just again ads insult to injury that does nothing but compound the ordering fiascos and long wait times.

I've been a HUGE supporter and now I'm feeling a tad disappointed...

It's very reassuring to me that their working on a good solution. Mine #1171 was firmly in place (although it had ripples and was lifted a little on the drivers side), and I was confortable living with it. But yesterday it became noticably looser in the back. Really can't explain why, as it has not been very hot here(Western NY), and I've kept my prying fingers off it.

Matt

Sorry for the problems you are having...mine has a few ripples but nothing that I cannot live with. Hang in there buddy....Remember the days of psds...it could be worse.Steve

Yeah...I was really embarrassed at the car show this weekend over the scoop and my tape stripes while I was sandwiched between two GT 500's that seemed to take great pleasure pointing these imperfections out to others.

I guess this too will pass... <_<

Ok...while I agree in sprit with what you're saying but the real lesson is that in the end it's cheaper to do it right than to do it at the lowest possible cost. In this case SAI followed Ford's method, which is also reported to have issues, with a scoop of questionable quality, and workmanship. You can point some measure of blame I suppose to Ford for the manner by which the scoops are attached but the dimples, waves, and bulges, are not installation issues.

Someone here said that it would have cost too much to create an aluminum scoop and while that may have been true I would love to monday morning quarterback that when balanced against the costs should we have to replace all the existing scoops. We're talking $$$ that I'm pretty confident will amount to more than what it would have cost to simply do it right the first time.

I'm really concerned with any QA process that didn't see my wavy, bulging, scoop as I did within the first 5 minutes behind the wheel of my car. My car shipped at the end of May when we all knew of and had identified issues with these scoops and back in March. We had been told a new design was going to be coming to solve these issues. The fact that my car shipped two months later with so many issues should be cause for concern.

Maybe it's my frustration of having to take pictures for a second time and the stories of damaged stripes and hoods as dealers try to fix the issues, coming through. But I have run out of "get of of jail free" cards for all this stuff sorry!

And while I seriously appreciate Amy's post with the promise of a solution I suddenly feel the urge to make a list of things we've been promised but NEVER seen. Remember the new grill or grill brackets? The infamous black grill? Remember the rear gas cap? Why do I have hood pins that pop out long after we were told this issue had been fixed? I don't mean to come off like this but I don't know how else to express my frustration with what I see as a BEAUTIFUL car that has annoyances that will drive you crazy and a warranty process that just again ads insult to injury that does nothing but compound the ordering fiascos and long wait times.

+1

Very well put Matt.

We really do need some answers on these things.

Yeah...I was really embarrassed at the car show this weekend over the scoop and my tape stripes while I was sandwiched between two GT 500's that seemed to take great pleasure pointing these imperfections out to others.

I guess this too will pass... <_<

Well for the 30k or more they paid they should be happy with their cars. But give us that 30k difference and we would have a car that would tear those a new ahole.

Dont think that would happen. You would need an entirely new bottom end. And for less than $2000, the GT500 will be putting over 675 hp at the rear wheels. As far as price, I don't care what people are advertising their GT500's for but the ADM's are drying up fast and cars can be had for a lot less then when released.

Well for the 30k or more they paid they should be happy with their cars. But give us that 30k difference and we would have a car that would tear those a new ahole.

I hear what you're saying but for what we paid, we should be happy with ours too.

And honestly, it's not the issues...stuff happens! Especially on a car that's built by hand. What's really making me angry is the warranty process. As they say, it rolls down hill. I would have to say that Jeff at Ford Racing is the most anti-customer person I have ever dealt with comparing him to Bud is like night and day.

I hear what you're saying but for what we paid, we should be happy with ours too.

And honestly, it's not the issues...stuff happens! Especially on a car that's built by hand. What's really making me angry is the warranty process. As they say, it rolls down hill. I would have to say that Jeff at Ford Racing is the most anti-customer person I have ever dealt with comparing him to Bud is like night and day.

Oh I agree with ya Matt I am just saying the guys who had the GT500's shouldnt snub someone else with a different Shelby.

Guys, the newer scoops are better, when we originally did this project we used the ford method for their CS car scoop, to keep the integrity. we are testing some hoods this week with another method. I am off to detroit Monday and tuesday, so I will post when I return, but we think we have a good fix.

Amy

By the way, its not all the scoops, just certain ones, as we made a scoop change midway, we are also looking at the 5 molds, to see if the is an issue there as well

Even though SAI is working on solutions, none of them are official and SAI recommended that I have my scoop replaced as scheduled for July 17th (yesterday). This scoop is 100% better than the original scoop and the fit and install "appeared" to be perfect. However after driving 3-4 miles from the dealer to my house the rear passenger corner of the scoop lifted off and now there is a gap there. The sides aren't perfectly flush with the hood, but if the rear hadn't lifted off, I'd say it would have been good enough. When I got home I did take the hood liner off and checked all the scoop screws and they were tight enough.

Only the test of time will tell, but the scoop fits so well now that I believe a few more screws (back corners and maybe two on each side for good measure) could solve this in the long term.

I'm glad I had the scoop replaced because the original scoop was not a good enough fit for even the addition of screws to fix. I feel as though SAI is homing in on the solution but they are not quite there yet. I'll keep you posted as to how the scoop behaves over the near term because the sides may start moving too.

Only the test of time will tell, but the scoop fits so well now that I believe a few more screws (back corners and maybe two on each side for good measure) could solve this in the long term.

I'm glad I had the scoop replaced because the original scoop was not a good enough fit for even the addition of screws to fix. I feel as though SAI is homing in on the solution but they are not quite there yet. I'll keep you posted as to how the scoop behaves over the near term because the sides may start moving too.

Please do! I was parked one car over from a black SGT last weekend and his scoop was terrible! I swear it was a 1/4" up in the front.

:wacko:

Archived