TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Repairing minor scrapes on chin spoiler?

ZepDad

Since the SGT is my first sports car with chin spoiler I've learned the hard way to pay attention to curbs. I've only owned the car for a month and have already bumped a couple. Aaaargh!! This actually caused two problems:

First: The underside plastic air dam cover broke loose on the back. There are 3 clips in the cross member that gave way even though I did not scrape the curb too hard, in my opinion. The clips seem poorly engineered but I guess they are designed to break away easily to help absorb impacts. Anyway I had to remove the cover until I could order new clips. If anyone needs a picture or part number of the clips let me know.

Second: The protruding tips of the chin spoiler (nearest each side of the air dam opening) are scraped/gouged slightly. No one but me probably even notices but <bleep> it's upsetting. Is their any way to repair the plastic by light sanding, filling and painting (my SGT is black)? Maybe a repair kit available at most auto parts stores?

Thanks for any help. And watch out for those [bleeping] curbs!

Don't feel bad. I have road rash on the bottom of my chin as well. Let's just say someone learned the hard way to go at an angle out of steep driveways - and it wasn't me. :)

I did the same thing in a hurry. Luckily it was only a minor scrape on the underside where you couldn't see it. At least it is plastic and don't have to worry about rust issues. I have been really careful about pulling up to curb markers because of other issues people have had since our cars are an inch and a half lower. There is a definate difference from my 07 GT and my SGT and I really like the ride of the SGT alot better. You can FEEL the car!

Since the SGT is my first sports car with chin spoiler I've learned the hard way to pay attention to curbs. I've only owned the car for a month and have already bumped a couple. Aaaargh!! This actually caused two problems:

First: The underside plastic air dam cover broke loose on the back. There are 3 clips in the cross member that gave way even though I did not scrape the curb too hard, in my opinion. The clips seem poorly engineered but I guess they are designed to break away easily to help absorb impacts. Anyway I had to remove the cover until I could order new clips. If anyone needs a picture or part number of the clips let me know.

Second: The protruding tips of the chin spoiler (nearest each side of the air dam opening) are scraped/gouged slightly. No one but me probably even notices but <bleep> it's upsetting. Is their any way to repair the plastic by light sanding, filling and painting (my SGT is black)? Maybe a repair kit available at most auto parts stores?

Thanks for any help. And watch out for those [bleeping] curbs!

It's only a matter of time. I own a SUV as a daily driver, and I'm used to hopping over most anything. I'm sure I'm going to forget and do the same thing some day. My wife has already been put on notice. When it happens, she is to administer strong drugs immediately.

Guys,

I did the same and I have the light kit....knocked out both lights had to redo them...was simple actually....However, I have gotten used to backing in to spots not front first...only thing that works. Steve

Archived