TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 CA emissions

oilman

Hello: Maybe someone can answer this for me. I'm in NY State and looking to purchase a 07' GT500 and register in NY, some dealers tell me that the vehicle HAS to have the 422 no charge CA emissions option, whereas others claim that ALL GT 500's meet the CA emssions and I DO NOT have to actually have this option stated on the sticker. Has anyone run across this? Anyone buy a car that DID NOT have this option listed and register it without a problem in NY? Thanks

Hello: Maybe someone can answer this for me. I'm in NY State and looking to purchase a 07' GT500 and register in NY, some dealers tell me that the vehicle HAS to have the 422 no charge CA emissions option, whereas others claim that ALL GT 500's meet the CA emssions and I DO NOT have to actually have this option stated on the sticker. Has anyone run across this? Anyone buy a car that DID NOT have this option listed and register it without a problem in NY? Thanks

All the new Mustangs have 50 State Emissions and clearly state they meet CA Emissions right on the emissions label.

There are 3 different types of emissions. Federal Emissions, CA Emissions and 50 State Emissions.

CA Emissions OR 50 State Emissions are both OK to register in CA Emissions States.

Many buyers in CA have purchased the GT500 from non CA emissions States and had no problem registering them in CA. The only thing I have heard is that they had to have the car smog checked.

BTW....no dealer in their right mind would sell you car knowing that you live in a CA emissions State where the car did not meet CA emissions. There is a $35,000 federal fine to any dealer that does.

Shelbydude - many thanks, this has been driving me nuts. The NY dealers tell me that if it doesn't have this specific 422 option then forget this car for NY! Do you know why some cars have the 422 CA option actually on sticker, whereas others do not?

Shelbydude - many thanks, this has been driving me nuts. The NY dealers tell me that if it doesn't have this specific 422 option then forget this car for NY! Do you know why some cars have the 422 CA option actually on sticker, whereas others do not?

Talk to Michael Morris. I live in CA. and Michael was going to sell me one of his cars, but he couldn't b/c it didn't have the CA emissions option.

i just looked up the question for Oilman.

here is what it says in the FORD MUSTANG ORDER GUIDE

Ca emission system....... 422

REQUIRED on units for CA, Maine, Mass, New York, and Vermont registration.

so going by what Ford says you MUST have 422 to register the car in these states. Mustangs are NOT 50 state legal as is.

this is coming right from the order guide, this is not my opionion.

so be careful trying to get a NON CA car into your state.

michael morris

But i have sold a NEW mustang GT500 to NY and dont think he had any problems. im going to check the invoice and see if it was CA emissions.

so going by what Ford says you MUST have 422 to register the car in these states. Mustangs are NOT 50 state legal as is.

michael morris

But i have sold a NEW mustang GT500 to NY and dont think he had any problems. im going to check the invoice and see if it was CA emissions.

[/quoThanks Mike, would still be interested to know if that car you sold to NY customer had the 422 option listed, and if not, if customer had any trouble registering in NY. Again - Thanks

michael morris

Michael, nope!

Look under the hood on any of your mustangs. They all state 50 States Emissions and state they meet CA emissions.

I also went through this for someone in CA and even had FORD verify that it would be OK.

So they do NOT have to have the specific CA Emission order code because they are already 50 States emissions. If they were not 50 states emissions then you would have to order it with that order code.

Also, look at the 08 order guide. That CA emission code option is no longer there. It just says 50 State Emissions standard on all units.

Michael, nope!

Look under the hood on any of your mustangs. They all state 50 States Emissions and state they meet CA emissions.

I also went through this for someone in CA and even had FORD verify that it would be OK.

So they do NOT have to have the specific CA Emission order code because they are already 50 States emissions. If they were not 50 states emissions then you would have to order it with that order code.

Also, look at the 08 order guide. That CA emission code option is no longer there. It just says 50 State Emissions standard on all units.

thats where i got my info from was the 08 order guide.

went on concepts and downloaded the order numbers

422 Ca emissions

425 50 state emissions.

whoever orders your cars may order them with the 425, but concepts and the order guide says you have to have them. but i sold a GT500 to NY a few months ago and he hasnt said anything. shelbydude, im not saying you are wrong. because i really dont know myself im just going by what the order guide says.

michael

Michael, nope!

SHELBYDUDE and OILMAN

im so sorry. i looked up a regular GT. you are dead on. GT500 is 50 state legal. im sorry that i gave the wrong info. i just didnt think about what car i was looking up. then it hit me that the GT and GT500 are diffenrent cars. im so embarressed

michael

The sticker under the hood will say it meets California regulations if you ordered the Ca emmissions or not.

Look under the hood on the right front and read the white sticker. It will tell you it meets Ca. requirements.

The exact language for Califiornia from the ARB is:

"If you are a resident of California

and buy or acquire a new car, truck or

motorcycle in another state, it must be

"California Certified" to meet

California emission laws,

To find out whether a car or truck

is California certified, check the

emission control label under the hood

in the engine compartment. If the

vehicle is "California certified," this

label will state that the vehicle conforms

to California regulations or that

it is legal for sale in California. If a

vehicle is "federally certified," the

label will state that the vehicle

conforms to U.S. EPA regulations, but

no mention will be made of meeting

California requirements."

You will be required to smog test it. Thats it, you are done, end of story.

Guys - Thanks a million, you can't believe the confusion this has caused. I'm actually in NY State which now follows CA emissions, and the dealers here told me that if the car did NOT have the 422 code it could NOT be registerd in NY. I have had nothing but a nigtmare of experience with these locals dealers, first on a SGT, and now the 500. Again, many Thanks

Guys - Thanks a million, you can't believe the confusion this has caused. I'm actually in NY State which now follows CA emissions, and the dealers here told me that if the car did NOT have the 422 code it could NOT be registerd in NY. I have had nothing but a nigtmare of experience with these locals dealers, first on a SGT, and now the 500. Again, many Thanks

Oh, I can believe the confusion. This has been confusing for many buyers and dealers. I was not aware of this myself until after trying to help someone in CA find a GT500. It was then that I found out about all this. He thought he had to have the specific order code as well that specifically had CA emissions on the car. That is when we discovered they all meet CA emissions and that particular order code was not required as long as the vehicle was 50 state emissions.

I just recently sold a SGT to someone in CA. They were from this site.

He just sent me an email today about getting his Shelby GT registered.

Here is what he said:

"Well, the SGT is now married to the state of California; did not have any problems except the car did have to have a blood test, smog check. Yes, I know, but California was insistent that since the car was purchased out side of CA and even if it did have the sticker notifying that it is compliant, they insisted on a smog test. So, I took it to the Ford dealership in Walnut Creek, just a block away from the DMV, and they check it out and all is well."

So there you have it! ANOTHER resident of CA that bought one from out of State and had no problem getting it registered.

SHELBYDUDE and OILMAN

im so sorry. i looked up a regular GT. you are dead on. GT500 is 50 state legal. im sorry that i gave the wrong info. i just didnt think about what car i was looking up. then it hit me that the GT and GT500 are diffenrent cars. im so embarressed

michael

Michael, if you go into FMC Dealer and click on the order guide tabs.....then over on the right side under "Ordering Guides & Price Lists Resources".....click on the 2007 Sales Restrictions link.

That is a PDF addressing everything about emissions.

i had been working on SGT stuff most of the day and i guess that what was on my mind when the question came up. the order guide for a SGT or just plain GT says you have to order 422 to get it, but it also looks like you dont have to have it just get a smog test and go on about you buisness.

thanks for the info.

michael

ok guys, the cars are 50 stae legal, But there is an extra test the epa requires for NY, mass, maine ny ca and Vermont once the test are passed. you get the all 50 state legal sticker, we had to do this with the shelby Gt, and we had to hold those completed cars until that test was done.

So yes it requires something extra, but its covered once you see the 50 states sticker

Amy

ok guys, the cars are 50 stae legal, But there is an extra test the epa requires for NY, mass, maine ny ca and Vermont once the test are passed. you get the all 50 state legal sticker, we had to do this with the shelby Gt, and we had to hold those completed cars until that test was done.

So yes it requires something extra, but its covered once you see the 50 states sticker

Amy

Thanks Amy, unbelievable how much confusion this has caused.

Archived