TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Some Shelby GTs Still Selling Over MSRP

mffarrell

Here is a ebay auction for a Shelby GT, and the current bid is $660 over MSRP. The dealer is very close to where I live, SF Bay Area. Funny thing is that when I purchased my car at my local dealer last week, he sold it to me for X-Plan price in a heart beat, which was like $50 below invoice.

I guess my point is there are Shelby Gts to be had in CA well below MSRP, but I guess these bidders for this particular car haven't done their homework. :huh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2007-Mu...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a ebay auction for a Shelby GT, and the current bid is $660 over MSRP. The dealer is very close to where I live, SF Bay Area. Funny thing is that when I purchased my car at my local dealer last week, he sold it to me for X-Plan price in a heart beat, which was like $50 below invoice.

I guess my point is there are Shelby Gts to be had in CA well below MSRP, but I guess these bidders for this particular car haven't done thieir homework. :huh:

Those kinds of auction are ridiculous, IMHO.

Jer

As an owner I like seeing the prices stay high. But, there is no reason that anyone should be paying over msrp or better. If guys keep holding out, the prices will be more reasonable most places.

I guess my point is there are Shelby Gts to be had in CA well below MSRP, but I guess these bidders for this particular car haven't done their homework. :huh:

X-Plan is not available on the Shelby GT. Ford excludes this car from any plan pricing. The dealer can sell it for that price, but Ford does not pay any commission on it for X-Plan sales.

Are you sure you got the true X-Plan price and not some price based on dealer mark up on the SAI package?

There was another person that was told by a dealer they would sell to him on A-Plan but after running the numbers it was $3K over what actual A-Plan was.

What was the actual price you paid? What was the MSRP on the GT Mustang itself?

X-Plan is not available on the Shelby GT. Ford excludes this car from any plan pricing. The dealer can sell it for that price, but Ford does not pay any commission on it for X-Plan sales.

Are you sure you got the true X-Plan price and not some price based on dealer mark up on the SAI package?

There was another person that was told by a dealer they would sell to him on A-Plan but after running the numbers it was $3K over what actual A-Plan was.

Yes, I did get X-Plan. And yes, you are correct that X-Plan is not available on the Shelby GT. I had closed the deal at X-Plan with my dealer, and later he found out that the Shelby GT was ineligable for X-Plan, nevertheless, my dealer honored X-Plan pricing but, I still had to provide him with my X-Plan pin.

The The MSRP was as follows:

Mustang GT MSRP $32,390

Shelby GT package $ 7,390

Gas guzzler surcharge $1,000

Total price $40,780

X-Plan price 30,050.06

Shelby Gt package $ 7,390

Gas guzzler surcharge $1,000

Sub X-Plan total price $38,440.08

Sales tax $ 3,171.31

Registration $ 314.00

CA tire fee $ 8.95

Total out the door price $41,934.14

There is a dealer near me, Bredermann Ford I think in Glenview IL, that has one in the showroom for 51K and he WILL NOT budge. He said he is better that the pool of cars will dry up and eventually someone will buy it. What ever...I went and bought mine elsewhere at $500 under MSRP. Not great, not 10K over!

There is a dealer near me, Bredermann Ford I think in Glenview IL, that has one in the showroom for 51K and he WILL NOT budge. He said he is better that the pool of cars will dry up and eventually someone will buy it. What ever...I went and bought mine elsewhere at $500 under MSRP. Not great, not 10K over!

Future Ford in Concord, CA has almost the exact same car as mine, sticker price $80K and change. Also, they have a GT500 vert sticker price over $100K LOL

I asked the salesman WTF he is smoking? He about fainted when I told him how much I paid.

Liccardi ford in nj has two of them, they had four....

both remaining are selling over list by about 7500.00

Essentially they are chargine 15K for the shelby package on top of the list price...

Absurdity..i paid msrp.

Every one of them I've found around me have been 5-10k over MSRP. I had a dealer an hour north of me give me three different figures at 3 different times ( in person, 2 by phone) and the lowest was $7500 over and the highest was $17,000 over. When I was ther in person they had the SGT sitting next to a GT500 in the showroom and the were priced at $52,500 and $75,000. I buy all of my vehicles from the same guy and he treats me right, I bought mine for $1500 over MSRP, but he's throwing in the spoiler and a Shelby car cover which essentially makes it about $500 over.

When I started looking for mine I talked to a dealer in Alabama that had just sold a black one to some doctor for $60K. I asked him if the buyer was stupid and he told me the guy was a surgeon with plenty of money to burn.

I guess there are people out there willing to pay any price. I hope they keep it up, it makes us that paid around MSRP look like geniuses!

Nice deal. Thanks for the details.

Now I know $2000 under MSRP is a better deal than $500 above invoice.

I think 500 over invoice is a geat deal, but thats just me. there is 2210.00 mark up on a SGT, how much cheaper do you want to buy the car for? Whats a fair profit on a 30k car. yes there is 900 holdback, but the dealers have to pay floorplan on the car until they get here. we start paying at soon as the car leaves for going to SAI. takes around 3-4 weeks for it to get there. then 3-4 weeks to get make into a shelby. at 6% interest that pretty much eats the holdback up.

good luck finding a dealer that we sell the car for dead cost. not saying if you look hard you wont find them, but like i said good luck.

michael

Michael,

I think your right on here. Your deal, in a time where other's are taking advantage, is the most fair. All anyone needs to do is go into the thread "GT's for sale" and see what other's are getting and your mention to help forum members receive a good deal.

Listen, folks Michael is a car dealer, I'm not defending anyone but he still has to pay his bills. Interest is not free, neither is the cost of doing business today.

$500 over is a very good deal. Thanks Michael. I appreciate your upfront honesty throughout the entire process. You can't as for anymore than that. And in the end the end buyer is the one that needs to feel comfortable.

I too think $500 over invoice is a great deal. I was just pointing out that to an outsider, it's often hard for us to compare X$ under MSRP to X$ over invoice. The info provided above helps us compare prices where dealers list prices by how much under MSRP (like Tower Ford) to dealers that list prices over invoice like (Wayne Morris Ford).

I actually don't think I've seen a deal for $2000 under MSRP. $500 over invoice is the best I've seen and if you can get me a 08 Shelby GT coupe for $500 over invoice, you got a deal right now.

I too think $500 over invoice is a great deal. I was just pointing out that to an outsider, it's often hard for us to compare X$ under MSRP to X$ over invoice. The info provided above helps us compare prices where dealers list prices by how much under MSRP (like Tower Ford) to dealers that list prices over invoice like (Wayne Morris Ford).

I actually don't think I've seen a deal for $2000 under MSRP. $500 over invoice is the best I've seen and if you can get me a 08 Shelby GT coupe for $500 over invoice, you got a deal right now.

i have had a few folks ask me about the 08s. i dont know if im going to get one our not, so im not making any promises to anyone until i have a car for them. i dont think its fair to the customer to say i can get you something and not really know if i can or not.

michael morris

I think 500 over invoice is a geat deal, but thats just me. there is 2210.00 mark up on a SGT, how much cheaper do you want to buy the car for? Whats a fair profit on a 30k car. yes there is 900 holdback, but the dealers have to pay floorplan on the car until they get here. we start paying at soon as the car leaves for going to SAI. takes around 3-4 weeks for it to get there. then 3-4 weeks to get make into a shelby. at 6% interest that pretty much eats the holdback up.

good luck finding a dealer that we sell the car for dead cost. not saying if you look hard you wont find them, but like i said good luck.

michael

This is not a $30K car. It is a $38K - $42K car.

What's a fair profit? 10% at least. But at MSRP it is well below that.

$500 over Invoice or any amount under MSRP is not a FAIR deal. It is a STEAL! MSRP is a good deal. $5K over or less is a fair deal. Anything over $5K over is not a deal at all.

This is a limited edition of 6,000 or less and it is a SHELBY! 05 GT Mustangs sold for $5K - $10K over MSRP when they came out and they were far from being any kind of limited edition mustang. They were mass produced with more mustangs built in 05 than any other given year prior to that. And dealers could not get enough of them to meet demand even at $5K - $10K over MSRP'

Here we have a very limited car and they can't be given away! What is wrong with this picture???

At MSRP they should be flying off the lots! At $500 over invoice they should have been sold within an hour from posting it!

I think the biggest reason behind this is due to very poor marketing, very poor planning and very poor timing. Most people that would buy this car want the GT500 instead. Those that could afford this car at MSRP are holding out in hopes of getting a GT500 for MSRP instead. It is only $5K more than the Shelby GT, and who would buy a Shelby GT when the GT500 is only $5K more MSRP and has a 191 more HP?

This car should have come out a year before the GT500. Then it would have flown off the lots! Everyone would have wanted one and there would have not been enough to go around. But with a 500HP GT500 on the market that was out over 6 months before this car came out with an MSRP of only $5K more it absolutely KILLED this car's desireability. That and the fact it only has 19 more HP over a standard GT Mustang. IF it at least had 400 HP it would be a lot more desireable and would be selling a lot better.

$8,390 for only 19 more HP is a very expensive price to pay considering you can get 70 - 90 more HP for only $1,200 with a simple CAI and tune!

I guess this one time whereby just sticking six little letters across the trunk with the Shelby name on it isn't enough to justify the added expense.

When see dealers having to sell these at $500 over invoice or anything below MSRP then that just goes to show how much of a flop this car really is! I'm not trying to come off as bad mouthing this car or SAI. But when GT Mustangs and regular V6 Mustangs are being sold all day long at $500+ over invoice and dealers have to sell a Shelby GT for that just to get rid of them then I'm sorry....but that just means it is a flop.

And don't give me the...well some dealers are out to price gouge people garbage. If that were the case they the same dealers would have sold their GT500's for that or at the very least MSRP! So before you pass judgement ask yourself why a dealer that would sell the Shelby GT for only $500 over invoice or any amount below MSRP....why are those same dealers selling their GT500's for $15K - $20K over MSRP? Why wouldn't they be offering the same deals on the GT500's that they are offering on the Shelby GT? One reason only! They are not selling good at all!

Now, with that said, I have two Shelby GT's coming in. I bought these from another dealer that can;t sell them and has no market for them. There is no holdback on these since the other dealer keeps that. I have to pay to have them shipped to our dealer on top of that so there are no miles on them. So that really limits any potential profit on these at MSRP.

I will sell them to anyone here for MSRP that wants one. Or both if you want them both.

So step up and prove what I said is not true! MSRP to anyone here that wants a GOOD deal!

One is black with manual trans. and one is white with automatic. Both have the interior up grade.

MSRP is the window sticker MSRP from Ford + $7,390 SAI + $1,000 GGT. No hidden mark ups.

Cars are going to be located in Central IL.

Let's see how long it takes someone here to jump on these and take advantage of this. Unless you share the same opinion that these cars are not as desireable even at MSRP!

From some of the statements you made, you don't seem to really understand what this car is all about, at least in my opinion for what's its worth. It's certainly about much more than 19hp and Shelby letters, a bunch more. It may be a flop from your perspective, but not to mine or all the guys that are buying them. Also, msrp to msrp, I for one would not get a GT500 as I did not want to spend anymore than the msrp of the SGT, but thats only one of a few reasons.

Shelbydude,

I agree with much of what you said. I do believe that each dealer has their own rationale for selling at what they determine is market value for them. You actually confirm my statement by the 2 you have bought from another dealer who can't sell them.

While you belive MSRP is a GOOD deal there are better deals to be had. You also state that the ADM on the GT500 is legitimate. Limited production 500 hp etc. to some who have the means to pay $10-25K over it is. Your a Ford salesperson, think back to the 03 Cobra and the ADM's limited production etc. First SC'ed Mustang etc. I purchased one at MSRP and I thought it was a GOOD deal. When everyone around me was paying $5-$15 over. Was I lucky.......no I searched dealer close to my home and traveled 88 miles to meet the dealer speak to the owner of the dealership and come to an agreement on MSRP. His philosophy was, that since his dad started the dealership over 36 year prior and NEVER charged ADM he was not going to change that now. And I admire him for that. He also sold all of his allocation very quickly.

That early production run of the 1st 03's was a bad batch. You know, your a dealer. Stall, head tic, I had it all and Ford did a buyback. So I loved the car but couldn't live with the gremlins. Not to say the numerous trips to the dealer. They had and still have the reputation of ticking time bombs. Even though there was a head replacement as a TSB.

Fast forward to 04, second year of the Cobra. More desirable due to the fixes, but yet Ford ate them in the end. Rebates on the SVT website, dealers slashing pricing and it turned out to be the lowest production year of the SC'ed SVT Cobra's.

To the marketing end. All the pre-press releases on the GT 500 were that it was going to be affordable. Not much increase from the 04. I have been a member of SVTOA for many years and had read all of the hype and marketing on the car. I was on a list for MSRP with a large dealer who had a very good allocation. I was very excited. Number 4 on the list and 5 allocated. I was getting my Shelby. After 52 years I was in a financial position to get my childhood dream.

Here is the catch and the "rub" with some dealers. They have no integrity. Their word means nothing. Just a lie to get you to bite the hook. Back to the GT500 and a real life example.

Time to order up the Shelby as directed by the dealer. He now tells me I can not order. Why? I say. He tells me they decided to auction off to the highest bidder. Now they are still receiving 5 but one to the brother in law, one to the company lawyer well you get the picture. We will honor our original deal on the second allocation. Time comes, we can't do that, we can now get $15K over. Greed and an arrogance to common sense sets in. I am not saying if people can afford the ADM's they shouldn't buy. Heck most of them are gone at over MSRP. Good for all of the Ford Dealerships out there. You guys need to eat, pay the bills etc.

But don't question another dealers decission to sell for $500 over invoice and tell us it's a "steal". That's your opinion because you are selling them at MSRP. They have their own motivation for selling at that price. Call it what you want but $10-$25K over is gouging in my book. You just read from another. You really sound angry with that statement. Like your offended. I don't understand that.

Look at E-Bay, I'm sure you do, and you will see that a majority of the SGT's have been listed with ADM's and have sat. I think the target market for this car is NOT the GT500 owner at all. And the people will not pay much over MSRP. Partly for the reasons you mentioned. And desireablility......how about 104 GT500's listed as of late today and SGT's at 34. This includes all of the used on each side also. I think the SGT IS harder to obtain in the big picture. How many GT500's for the 08 production run? About 2200 SGT's and split between verts and coupes. Desireablility is not the issue here.

It does fill it's own nitch. It does have a mystique about it that the GT500 will never have. And yes it WAS poorly marketed. But the people on this forum work just a hard for their $ every day as the "hot shot" gotta be the the first on the block guy does for there's. And it IS desireable it's a Shelby. The 08 Bullitt will not retain the value or hold the stigma this car will have when we are all dead and gone.

So because of all of the nonsence in dealing with dealers and finding an upfront honest dealer with integrity I will be receiving my SGT S/C the way I want it, modified by SAI, with it's serialized tag and finally fullfilling that dream and not feeling like I have taken a beating obtaining it. I'm out! -_-

I think part of the problem with slow sales for the Shelby GT is that it does seem expensive for what you get. Originally it was going to cost $35K and have 325hp, but I think that was if you ordered it as a deluxe version with no options, and was before the Gas guzzler tax and EPA test came out.

I agree with you on the GT 500 (and possibly the 08 bullitt) affecting sales too. GT 500 prices are slowly coming down on ebay. Here's one with a "buy it now price" of $54,900 (the lowest I saw)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-2...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a SGT with a "buy it now price" of $46,980 (the highest one I saw)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-FORD-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

So less than $8K separates the lowest priced GT 500 from the highest priced SGT

Yet here's a Shelby GT equipped with IUP and Sirius radio, with a "buy it now price of $37,900

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-FORD-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

I will admit that I'll be tempted to look at the GT 500s if the prices start approaching MSRP and an 08 SGT can't be had for below MSRP. For me personally, the black and white 07SGTs didn't stir enough of an emotional reaction to justify the cost, but the 08 SGT in Vista Blue has.

Oh where can I get one of those 70-90 hp CAIs with a tune for $1200?

Shelbydude,

I agree with much of what you said. I do believe that each dealer has their own rationale for selling at what they determine is market value for them. You actually confirm my statement by the 2 you have bought from another dealer who can't sell them.

While you belive MSRP is a GOOD deal there are better deals to be had. You also state that the ADM on the GT500 is legitimate. Limited production 500 hp etc. to some who have the means to pay $10-25K over it is. Your a Ford salesperson, think back to the 03 Cobra and the ADM's limited production etc. First SC'ed Mustang etc. I purchased one at MSRP and I thought it was a GOOD deal. When everyone around me was paying $5-$15 over. Was I lucky.......no I searched dealer close to my home and traveled 88 miles to meet the dealer speak to the owner of the dealership and come to an agreement on MSRP. His philosophy was, that since his dad started the dealership over 36 year prior and NEVER charged ADM he was not going to change that now. And I admire him for that. He also sold all of his allocation very quickly.

That early production run of the 1st 03's was a bad batch. You know, your a dealer. Stall, head tic, I had it all and Ford did a buyback. So I loved the car but couldn't live with the gremlins. Not to say the numerous trips to the dealer. They had and still have the reputation of ticking time bombs. Even though there was a head replacement as a TSB.

Fast forward to 04, second year of the Cobra. More desirable due to the fixes, but yet Ford ate them in the end. Rebates on the SVT website, dealers slashing pricing and it turned out to be the lowest production year of the SC'ed SVT Cobra's.

To the marketing end. All the pre-press releases on the GT 500 were that it was going to be affordable. Not much increase from the 04. I have been a member of SVTOA for many years and had read all of the hype and marketing on the car. I was on a list for MSRP with a large dealer who had a very good allocation. I was very excited. Number 4 on the list and 5 allocated. I was getting my Shelby. After 52 years I was in a financial position to get my childhood dream.

Here is the catch and the "rub" with some dealers. They have no integrity. Their word mean nothing. Just a lie to get you to bite the hook. Back to the GT500 and a real life example.

Time to order up the Shelby as directed by the dealer. He now tells me I can not order. Why? I say. He tells me they decided to auction off to the highest bidder. Now they are still receiving 5 but one to the brother in law, one to the company lawyer well you get the picture. We will honor our original deal on the second allocation. Time comes, we can't do that, we can now get $15K over. Greed and an arrogance to common sense sets in. I am not saying if people can afford the ADM's they shouldn't buy. Heck most of them are gone at over MSRP. Good for all of the Ford Dealerships out there. You guys need to eat, pay the bills etc.

But don't question another dealers decission to sell for $500 over invoice and tell us it's a "steal". That's your opinion because you are selling them at MSRP. They have their own motivation for selling at that price. Call it what you want but $10-$25K over is gouging in my book. You just read from another. You really sound angry with that statement. Like your offended. I don't understand that.

Look at E-Bay, I'm sure you do, and you will see that a majority of the SGT's have been listed with ADM's and have sat. I think the target market for this car is NOT the GT500 owner at all. And the people will not pay much over MSRP. Partly for the reasons you mentioned.

It does fill it's own nitch. It does have a mystique about it that the GT500 will never have. And yes it WAS poorly marketed. But the people on this forum work just a hard for their $ every day as the "hot shot" gotta be the the first on the block does for there's. And it IS desireable it's a Shelby. The 08 Bullitt will not retain the value or hold stigma this car will have when we are all dead and gone.

So because of all of the nonsence in dealing with dealers and finding an upfront honest dealer with integrity I will be receiving my SGT S/C the way I want it, modified by SAI, with it's serialized tag and finally fullfilling that dream and not feeling like I have taken a beating obtaining it. I'm out! -_-

Amen Roger--

My dealership, however, was straight up front with me. They have multiple locations and the owner, his brother and his dad snapped up three of the GT500's for themselves and he told me that was going to happen and that he wasn't sure how many more he could get, he would take refundable deposits for additional cars. One of my buddies plunked down a $5000 deposit last January or February (2006) at the same dealership to get one of them, he waited and waited and was about to collect his refund, but then he got his car May 15th after they were able to track one down the way he wanted it and he paid $59,000. I checked into the GT500 again and could have gotten a GT500 from them-red coupe/white stripes (my buddy would have shot me as it was identical to his) for $59000 or a black convertible for $62,500 (market pricing for this area)-I liked the look of the SGT better and saved $15,000-I'm hoping I don't have to wait as long!

I'm getting my dream car- a Shelby Mustang which I've loved since I was a young boy and it's actually converted by Shelby and not a mass produced car with his name on it. Desireable or not, one of my dreams is coming true also and I feel like I got a fair deal.

holy cow! The bid is now $5100 over MSRP with 20 hrs to go. I wonder if there are shills bidding on this b/c there are some dealers in the Bay Area that will selll at MSRP?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...24557373&rd=1,1

Makes me feel like a genius for buying at $50 under invoice. LOL :o

My dealer keeps selling his to other dealers for 10K over because no one in this rural area will pay that much ADM. I think it's crazy when dealers screw other dealers instead of customers! I wish Ford would mandate nothing over MSRP and hold the dealers accountable for it.

To each their own, though.....this is not my battle to fight. Peace.

My dealer keeps selling his to other dealers for 10K over because no one in this rural area will pay that much ADM. I think it's crazy when dealers screw other dealers instead of customers! I wish Ford would mandate nothing over MSRP and hold the dealers accountable for it.

To each their own, though.....this is not my battle to fight. Peace.

I am a Dealer who has paid $10 over 3 times, $12 over once and $15 over on a Conv last May.

Why am I CRAZY or being SCREWED, if I have a customer that wants a certain car or is willing to pay me $1000-2000.00 Profit to go out and find the right ride for them??? I don't understand your thinking???

I have 400 cars and trucks on my lot that if FORD mandated that I must sell at MSRP, you would tell me where to stick it. Would you not???

randy

I said "nothing OVER msrp". What I'm getting at is if everyone wasn't basically forced to this ADM gouging, not many, if any, would be willing to pay more than MSRP.

I just think it's fundamentally bad to tell a customer of any product that he/she has to pay 20% over retail or they can't buy it. I know it happens and I know it's going to happen again, it just doesn't make it right in my opinion. I also know my opinion won't change anything, that's why I said this is not my battle to fight.

I mean no offense to you or your colleagues. I just think the whole process is rather crazy, but that's life. Peace (really).

holy cow! The bid is now $5100 over MSRP with 20 hrs to go. I wonder if there are shills bidding on this b/c there are some dealers in the Bay Area that will selll at MSRP?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...24557373&rd=1,1

Makes me feel like a genius for buying at $50 under invoice. LOL :o

Bid is now $10K over MSRP. heck, for that amount I'd buy a GT500...only a few $K more

Bid is now $10K over MSRP. heck, for that amount I'd buy a GT500...only a few $K more

something fishy going on, as bid keeps dropping, now $8100. Maybe some bidders have retracted their bids after reading Michael Morris's deals on this site? :o

I said "nothing OVER msrp". What I'm getting at is if everyone wasn't basically forced to this ADM gouging, not many, if any, would be willing to pay more than MSRP.

I just think it's fundamentally bad to tell a customer of any product that he/she has to pay 20% over retail or they can't buy it. I know it happens and I know it's going to happen again, it just doesn't make it right in my opinion. I also know my opinion won't change anything, that's why I said this is not my battle to fight.

I mean no offense to you or your colleagues. I just think the whole process is rather crazy, but that's life. Peace (really).

Would you be happy if you couldn't buy ANY make of new vehicle for nothing BELOW msrp, as well?

Why is it OK to beat dealers up to pay below MSRP but not OK for dealers to sell over MSRP??? What is the difference?

People cry over paying over MSRP but I have never seen them happy to pay MSRP either.

The MARKET determines pricing, NOT the dealers. Dealers merely price the cars and the CONSUMERS end up dictating what the MARKET PRICE will be in the end. If the CONSUMER is willing to pay it that is what it will sell for and set the market at. If the CONSUMER is not willing to pay it the MARKET PRICE drops to what the CONSUMER will pay.

Why do you think most cars sell below MSRP? Because that is the market price the CONSUMER has set based on what they will pay! Otherwise you would pay over MSRP on any car if it were the dealers setting the prices.

Those that want it and can afford it and are willing to pay for it will buy it. Others will not. No big deal. Crying about it will not change a thing. And MOST, not all, but MOST people that are crying about it are the ones that wouldn't and/or couldn't buy it at MSRP either!

Archived