TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop removed...

stump_breaker

From the attached pic you can see why I dove into this. I did not have this problem when I first got the car but it is slowly getting worse.

l_692bcf8c14ea7c85867b1dc13dfd91b8.jpg

Bolts holding the scoop. A kitchen fork works fantastic to remove the heat insulation clips.

l_c72c043b8a24f90ef4b39e569a3f5565.jpg

bottom of scoop.

l_1abfadd61b476f4bb3bbf97133f5c864.jpg

The problem. I don't know if you can tell but I am actually flexing the rubber/plastic that holds the bolt.

l_d9f9b52c7fdd99f6ac37935c9c825f93.jpg

This is a typical injection molded scoop but where the clips attach to hold it in place to the car there is no support. You can tighten the bolts all you want but it will not snug the scoop. There is one way - and this is the only way I can see to fix this problem permantly - and that is to remove the fake rivets, drill with a 1/8 bit and install aluminum 1/2 rivets. It actually works well but BE SURE to use 1/2' rivets if you do this and DO NOT allow it to over snug into the scoop. I ran out of 1/2" rivets and one or two did not grab the hood skin. I now have to drill them out and repair once I get some more. This is a simple fix and the only way to get a snug fit. I know why SAI didn't do it because it does take some time making sure everything is right. I'll post pics of the completed project when I finish.

I hope this helps someone.....At least now you know why the scoop does not fit.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention was the clip opposite of where I am holding in the last picture (not visible) had actually pulled through the plastic and had very little to hold onto.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know something stump.........you are doing exactily what I was going to do if I stuck to the stock hood. By the looks of it...........a warranty nightmare! Ugh! I guess one way would be to re-enforce the plastic along the front edge with a metal strip molded into the plastic. Can't wait to see the end result.

You know something stump.........you are doing exactily what I was going to do if I stuck to the stock hood. By the looks of it...........a warranty nightmare! Ugh! I guess one way would be to re-enforce the plastic along the front edge with a metal strip molded into the plastic. Can't wait to see the end result.

It is a warranty nightmare,and hopefully SAI has a solution,esp in future production models.

Stumper,before you put the scoop back on,sign your name on the stripes with invisible ink. I dare ya!!! ;)

Stump

I'd much rather be doing what your doing.....................I'm sanding 12 old wooden storm shutters!!!!

Not my idea of fun <_<

I think I'll sign my shutters and date then on the back side............. :P

Do this too Stumper....take a straight-edge....and measures certain areas. Use a feeler gauge to check tolerances etc. Might help with a solution.

With what you have to work with...minus using rivets etc,maybe a few washers would be in order?

P.S. ... DO NOT harm the hood,as it's not forgiving!

Although not complete - I've just been veggie'ing out today after fighting a massive migrane last night - this will give you a peek at the started work. The back rivets have not been replaced yet and you can see the rivet that did not catch on the drivers side. Autoplay, you are correct. The hood is not forgiving but if you use the 1/2" rivets it will catch the underside steel of the hood as well.

l_d7b2cf3da19f1083cba7a81857ef16ef.jpg

l_c01866b90f6926af4164ef10b823e024.jpg

seriously though, if anyone else does this use no less than !/2" aluminum rivets and be careful of the tension you put on the scoop itself. It will cause a ripple effect if you pull it too tight.

StumpB- I commend you for doing this work yourself. However I would not even come close to attempting this repair. I will let my SVT Dealer do it for me. I also think if i did it and it did not work out I would have voided my warranty and that I don't want to do. Wow what a task!

From the pictures of the under side of the scoop it looks like the heat from the engine is probably allowing the plastic mounting flange to warp. The flange should have been made out of a high temp plastic and shoud of had ribs reinforcing them especially near the threaded flang nuts.

Just my thoughts, Don

From the pictures of the under side of the scoop it looks like the heat from the engine is probably allowing the plastic mounting flange to warp. The flange should have been made out of a high temp plastic and shoud of had ribs reinforcing them especially near the threaded flang nuts.

Just my thoughts, Don

Agree Don. I've looked at it once,and that's when it was off at the dealer. To my nekkid eye,it appeared to be flatter(the scoop) than the hood. Another words,the contour of it is off to begin with. As I believe it's flatter than the surface it's gonna cover,and the bolt holes guessing...are 3/4-1" away from the outside surface,and,the bolt holes are too far apart.....it will be next to impossible to get a perfect finish,or keep it looking,"finish perfect".

The holes in the hood seem massive in size,for the application.

I'll give it a whirl in awhile as,the wifey is gonna get 1 of the stripes restriped lol.

P.S. ... Don't forget to put down your wipers,PRIOR to opening/closing hood. Ask Sdear ;)

Guys, depending on when your car was made we have fixed the hood scoop, you should take it to your dealer for a new one. The first ones had the California special mountings.

Amy

Guys, depending on when your car was made we have fixed the hood scoop, you should take it to your dealer for a new one. The first ones had the California special mountings.

Amy

Amy,can you suggest any qualified dealers,in our area(Sarasota,FL)? Sdears is actully becoming worse,over time :( Was tight etc with tiny caps in middle/sides when last worked on.....now the gaps are a tad bigger,and when inside the car viewing it,the rear passenger side now has a gap :(

I really want to be done with the scoop,and am willing to pay to have it done!

Amy,can you suggest any qualified dealers,in our area(Sarasota,FL)? Sdears is actully becoming worse,over time :( Was tight etc with tiny caps in middle/sides when last worked on.....now the gaps are a tad bigger,and when inside the car viewing it,the rear passenger side now has a gap :(

I really want to be done with the scoop,and am willing to pay to have it done!

Amy...I have one of the newer scoops. It "was " fitting better...but I noticed last night after driving it 500 miles this weekend that it's lifting again on the passenger side . It also is forming a gap again on the drivers side.

I guess I will take it to a dealer and see what can be done.

Amy

I have #2621, picked up on Monday, and the scoop is lifting on the drivers side and warped or rippled, what ever you want to call it, on the same side. So when I'm driving it looks like someone hit it. I'll bring it in for repair. :(

Amy

Hey, does this mean that the CA special scoop can be used as a replacement? Ok, I know it will make those of us "in the know" cringe but for the 99.99% of the rest of the population, if it makes my car look cleaner I'll take it maybe and store the original scoop? If it's a simple bolt and in-bolt, I might consider it. :huh:

Stump, you may also try an making an aluminum flange the same size and shape as the plastic one. Then place it up behind the plastic ones, laying on the plastic ones. Drill holes in the aluminum in the same location and thread size as the plastic. You will then probably have to make the threaded inserts in the plastic through holes. You will then be able to sinch down on the aluminum frame more. However I would be concerend about the expansion and contraction. You mentioned a rubber gasket the other day and they was exactly what I was thinking when I first got my car.

Stump, you may also try an making an aluminum flange the same size and shape as the plastic one. Then place it up behind the plastic ones, laying on the plastic ones. Drill holes in the aluminum in the same location and thread size as the plastic. You will then probably have to make the threaded inserts in the plastic through holes. You will then be able to sinch down on the aluminum frame more. However I would be concerend about the expansion and contraction. You mentioned a rubber gasket the other day and they was exactly what I was thinking when I first got my car.

I thought about that but I tried it with wood first to see how it would work. You have two curves to consider; going across the hood and going length ways with the hood. Also the piece that holds the two front bolts in place is not formed to the scoop. It's a secondary piece which has 3 flexible rubber "studs" held on with 3 self tapping nuts. There is no support at all on the front of the scoop. I even tried to rough up the plastic with 60 grit paper and join the insert to the scoop with cyanoacrylate to provide support. No such luck. The pop rivet idea was all I could come up with the make a permanent fix but even it has it's drawbacks. It's exasperating. I would like to find a metal scoop, restripe and affix. With all due respect to Amy, From Autoplays and Sdear's posts it sounds as if the new design has the same problems. There is a lot of stress on the scoop trying to force it to fit the hood. I think Shelby-Don hit the nail on the head with the heat warpage comment. If you look at the center of the scoop, the round standoff is actually a tiny bit too long and applies too much pressure in the center of the hood. Although I did not post the pic, the hood has an indentation from this center piece.

I'm thinking of going to a machine shop and having a strip of aluminum cut to cover the lip of the scoop all the way around, removing what I have done and then re-riveting the scoop on again.

I am also thinking of removing the rivets and replacing with stainless self tapping screws and washers. Decorative and purposeful.

I also have other ides but these were the latest.

I have #2621, picked up on Monday, and the scoop is lifting on the drivers side and warped or rippled, what ever you want to call it, on the same side. So when I'm driving it looks like someone hit it. I'll bring it in for repair. :(

Hey, does this mean that the CA special scoop can be used as a replacement? Ok, I know it will make those of us "in the know" cringe but for the 99.99% of the rest of the population, if it makes my car look cleaner I'll take it maybe and store the original scoop? If it's a simple bolt and in-bolt, I might consider it. :huh:

Hey Matt. Are you sure your would want this scoop on your car? It actually looks smaller IMO...

product_ford_mustang_california_hood_scoop.jpg

This may have already been covered, so please excuse any redundancy, but I have always wondered why Shelby added a fake scoop anyway? Why do it unless it was functional? I would be especially upset if this cosmetic scoop has the quality problems that the owners have seen.

Everyone is using non fuinctional scopps these days and have for years. it is a design thing. Those that have the super charger installed wouldnt use a functional one anyway. I am not trying to be a jerk but this arguement has raged forever. If someone doesnt like the non function we luckily live in America so you dont have to buy it.

This may have already been covered, so please excuse any redundancy, but I have always wondered why Shelby added a fake scoop anyway? Why do it unless it was functional? I would be especially upset if this cosmetic scoop has the quality problems that the owners have seen.

It's added to go with the retro look and history of the car. It's part of the appearance package and personally I would miss it if it wasn't there as I did the spoiler. Besides, it's not really a quality issue but a fastener issue. The quality is fine. The fasteners are in serious need of redesign which SAI is aware of and it appears they are trying to repair. I'm just looking for a more permanent mount so I never go through a loose hood scoop again.

It's funny how there are so many individual preferences, from scoops to embem's, but overall everyone finds the package tremendously appealing.

I really like the scoop as it is, even with some ripples and uneveness in the fit (think it gives is some character, and handcrafted appeal).

It does sound like they might loosen up with time and heat;hope not all. In any case it would be great if someone comes up with an simple and good fix. I alway worry about the fix being worse than the problem. Especially when I don't know the mechanic actually working on the car.

Looking at the pic of the back side more closely I dont think there is an easy fix IMO. The fasteners dont actually hold the outer flanger or lip but are at least an inch from the edge. That outer edge will still be able to float or move around when the temps change. As Stump said before using the fake rivets as fasteners may be the best solution but that looks liek it involves drilling out the hood. The outer flange it rather thin. I am thinking the materialused for this scoop should have a glass filler to give it some rigidity but hindsight is always 20/20. Amy/John/Bud, do any of you have any ideas? It seems as though the fix isnt quite fixing it still going by the CSM#'s of people with issues.

Looking at the pic of the back side more closely I dont think there is an easy fix IMO. The fasteners dont actually hold the outer flanger or lip but are at least an inch from the edge. That outer edge will still be able to float or move around when the temps change. As Stump said before using the fake rivets as fasteners may be the best solution but that looks liek it involves drilling out the hood. The outer flange it rather thin. I am thinking the materialused for this scoop should have a glass filler to give it some rigidity but hindsight is always 20/20. Amy/John/Bud, do any of you have any ideas? It seems as though the fix isnt quite fixing it still going by the CSM#'s of people with issues.

Well, SAI is sending my local Ford dealer a new scoop. According to the dealer who called SAI while i was there, the new scoop has a stiffer plastic and two more screws and grommets to secure the front of the scoop. It takes 5 days to get here and I guess the dealer will have it installed next week. I hope it is a permanent fix, but the dealer said if not then he'll get SAI to try again.

This is a problem that can be solved with the right combination of fasteners and materials, dimensions, etc. All the other faux hood scoop makers have done it, SAI will be able too if they plan on staying in business.

I too had the same issue and had Bud send out a replacement scoop... Unfortunately, the stripes on the replacement scoop did NOT match up with the hood itself. So I put the original scoop back on...

However, I did use the 2 longer "fake" rivets to bolt down the back corners (nearest the firewall), just like the front coners are done from SAI... Seems to work so far (1,500 miles)...

Because of the warpage potential, I wouldn't recommend screwing it down along the entire edge. But bolting down the two corners eliminated everything I was concerned about...

Well, SAI is sending my local Ford dealer a new scoop. According to the dealer who called SAI while i was there, the new scoop has a stiffer plastic and two more screws and grommets to secure the front of the scoop. It takes 5 days to get here and I guess the dealer will have it installed next week. I hope it is a permanent fix, but the dealer said if not then he'll get SAI to try again.

This is a problem that can be solved with the right combination of fasteners and materials, dimensions, etc. All the other faux hood scoop makers have done it, SAI will be able too if they plan on staying in business.

Let us know how you make out. I have no doubt SAI will make it right. There have been other small issues here and there with peops cars and they have taken care of it.

I am thinking we may not hear much from anyone at SAI this week either as they are heading to that Tulsa show so lets all try and not panic this time if we dont hear from anyone. :)

Everyone is using non fuinctional scopps these days and have for years. it is a design thing. Those that have the super charger installed wouldnt use a functional one anyway. I am not trying to be a jerk but this arguement has raged forever. If someone doesnt like the non function we luckily live in America so you dont have to buy it.

Side scoops aren't functinal anymore, either. These don't have problems, but then they were made by Ford for the GT/CS cars.

I have not been a fan of the SGT scoops from day one and wrote a letter to Ford when the prototype came out asking that they please not use it but instead use either the 2006 Shelby GT-H hood or the already-optional-for-2007 scoop. Well, that ship has sailed. I assume that the decision boiled down to cost of the GT-H hood versus exclusivity of the standard scoop, but that's just a guess.

I can forgive the scoop issues (both styling and quality) for the car's overall appeal, but I am disappointed nonetheless. And yes, the hood from the Shelby GT-H is starting to look like a viable option, albeit a costly one.

I can forgive the scoop issues (both styling and quality) for the car's overall appeal, but I am disappointed nonetheless. And yes, the hood from the Shelby GT-H is starting to look like a viable option, albeit a costly one.

Though I love the look of the SAI scoop, not being molded into the hood made me decide to go with the optional CS6 hood. I was debating, and still question my rationale, but now I'm somewhat glad I did. I'm sure they are working on a fix and people will be able to look back at this experience one day and say "I'm glad they got it right.....".

Stump, you going to be screwed if any of those real rivets pop through the scoop over time. The rubberized plastic doesn't appear strong enough for a tight fitting rivet.

I can see where the rivets are already embedded pretty deep into the scoop. If any go through with time, the only choice will be to use rivet washers which are ugly.

Just a thought as I am also working with SAI on my newly arrived scoop.

BTW don't overtighten the scoop bolts. Per SAI, finger-tighten then crank additional 1/4 turn. That's it.

Archived