TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Grille Modification

jbfabricator

Noticed some posts about original grille showing thru Shelby grille.

Here is our fabrication. I removed complete grille assemblies.

Took OEM grille and removed the complete center section.

I then fabricated a steel frame for Shelby grille.

Enclosed is an attached photo of finished product, with a modified Shelby emblem.

Photo has been removed and will be in gallery soon.

Nice work! Love to see what you can come up with for production.

BTW, looking at an SGT in a dealership yesterday (10K ADM) looking at the grill made me wonder why they didn't use the standard v6 grill! Removing the silver pony is easier than the cut job that's done and the finished look, to me, I think would have looked neater than the lights housings etc.

Just a thought...

Having absolutely no idea how the stock grill fits vs. the Shelby grill,

is it possible to still have the factory fog lights installed in the factory grill after the cut job done to install the Shelby grill? The holes are still there. I was thinking a nice set of blacked out driving lights might actually look pretty good although I do not know how badly the light would be limited going through the Shelby grill.

Enclosed is an attached photo of finished product, with a modified Shelby emblem.

Fantastic! You have a better sense of Shelby style than the official purveyors. That would make a great addition to the 2008 model.

robin

BTW, looking at an SGT in a dealership yesterday (10K ADM) looking at the grill made me wonder why they didn't use the standard v6 grill! Removing the silver pony is easier than the cut job that's done and the finished look, to me, I think would have looked neater than the lights housings etc.

Just a thought...

B/C you need the fog lamp wires from the GT grille to light up the lower driving lights WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE...

Having absolutely no idea how the stock grill fits vs. the Shelby grill,

is it possible to still have the factory fog lights installed in the factory grill after the cut job done to install the Shelby grill? The holes are still there. I was thinking a nice set of blacked out driving lights might actually look pretty good although I do not know how badly the light would be limited going through the Shelby grill.

StumpB- Thats a very good idea and I think it might look good too. However, when one opens the hood and looks at what is really behind there they see what I do not want them to see. :rolleyes:

StumpB- Thats a very good idea and I think it might look good too. However, when one opens the hood and looks at what is really behind there they see what I do not want them to see. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the hacked up grill is annoying. I do like JB's design up top (except for the snake ((don't shoot me!)) ) but I am very curious as to how black lights behind the grill would look and/or work.

It needs driving lights but I just don't want them down low.

JB, are you just showing what you did or are you wanting to build and sell?

Yeah, the hacked up grill is annoying. I do like JB's design up top (except for the snake ((don't shoot me!)) ) but I am very curious as to how black lights behind the grill would look and/or work.

It needs driving lights but I just don't want them down low.

JB, are you just showing what you did or are you wanting to build and sell?

I like JB's design too. Shelby just was way to rushed and understaffed when they took on this SGT project and had to rush the grill. Hey, I like you am NOT complaining we have our cars!

PS: Have you been told when the lights & ducts will be available from SAI?

I like JB's design too. Shelby just was way to rushed and understaffed when they took on this SGT project and had to rush the grill. Hey, I like you am NOT complaining we have our cars!

PS: Have you been told when the lights & ducts will be available from SAI?

The last email I got from Bud about 1-2 months ago said soon. :rolleyes:

JB? Answer questions tomorrow? You sure you don't work for SAI??

I can already see it, he's 6 months backed up.... :lol:

Thanks for the positive feedback. If it had not been for the forum I would not have know about a grille issue until the car was delivered. Looked at several photos after the issue was brought up and I looked at as many GT grilles as I could when possible.

To start with when the OEM grille is cut out by Shelby you cannot mount any lights back in that grille without making brackets. The fog light plugs are still there just tied to the radiator support.

I do not have plans to produce this grille bracket. I wanted to show that with a little more time and effort a quality product can be made. The true answer would be to have a one piece grille bracket not two piece. With a little more time and effort a one piece could be made.

If you mount driving lights in behind Shelby grille I would think that your lights would get distorted quite a bit. The bars are pretty thick on the grille. Driving lamps need to be down low.

I knew that not everyone would like the grille emblem but I think that Shelby should create his own grille emblem for the Shelby GT. Then add a special horn button and simulated fuel cap emblem on decklid.

Thanks for the positive feedback. If it had not been for the forum I would not have know about a grille issue until the car was delivered. Looked at several photos after the issue was brought up and I looked at as many GT grilles as I could when possible.

To start with when the OEM grille is cut out by Shelby you cannot mount any lights back in that grille without making brackets. The fog light plugs are still there just tied to the radiator support.

I do not have plans to produce this grille bracket. I wanted to show that with a little more time and effort a quality product can be made. The true answer would be to have a one piece grille bracket not two piece. With a little more time and effort a one piece could be made.

If you mount driving lights in behind Shelby grille I would think that your lights would get distorted quite a bit. The bars are pretty thick on the grille. Driving lamps need to be down low.

I knew that not everyone would like the grille emblem but I think that Shelby should create his own grille emblem for the Shelby GT. Then add a special horn button and simulated fuel cap emblem on decklid.

You did excellent work!!! If you were selling them, I def. would buy one. I love the snake and the "SHELBY" on there. It is too bad that we have to see the old grilles behind the nice one in front, even though it is hard to notice. It would be nice to know that Shelby could offer a package like the one you're talking about. Maybe you should call them and talk about what you've shown us here...you never know what might come about. B)

Went back and looked at an OEM GT grille. If you were very careful you could cut out the raised fog lamp portion of the grille and save the mounting points. You would then have to push the fog lamp back about an inch to an inch and a half, to allow for Shelby grille, when you do that you start to hit the radiator support. There is not much room behind the fog lamp. Probably why Shelby doesn't offer that. You would still have to cut out around the mustang emblem and that would still leave a hole in the grille.

You could cut out the whole grille like I did and make a fog lamp bracket and attach the brackets to the bumper reinforcement. Again you would be limited on size of fog/driving lamp.

Went back and looked at an OEM GT grille. If you were very careful you could cut out the raised fog lamp portion of the grille and save the mounting points. You would then have to push the fog lamp back about an inch to an inch and a half, to allow for Shelby grille, when you do that you start to hit the radiator support. There is not much room behind the fog lamp. Probably why Shelby doesn't offer that. You would still have to cut out around the mustang emblem and that would still leave a hole in the grille.

You could cut out the whole grille like I did and make a fog lamp bracket and attach the brackets to the bumper reinforcement. Again you would be limited on size of fog/driving lamp.

Thanks for that answer..... :)

Looks like it's time to put the old engineering cap on. Now where did I leave my train....hmmmmm

Thanks for that answer..... :)

Looks like it's time to put the old engineering cap on. Now where did I leave my train....hmmmmm

Just a piece of info :

My car is 545. The first grill had some distortion. SAI sent a new grill...and that one went back as the black housing had a scratch.

The latest grill we got back this past week is perfect....and it's much "cleaner" in the back where the old grill was. You can tell much more care was taken when removing the old grill in the back. It's more finished..instead of hacked up like the original grill. Also, the pony embem use to be welded or something to the grill. It's now mounted much more professionally with a bracket in the back. This was not the case on the original grill.

Will send a pic later.....grill is going back in...the final stripe was fixed today wahooooo and the car is finally back to normal ! :D

I email John at Shelby and was bitchin about that. I never heard back. You would think for the price of the car, and that it is a Shelby they would do a better job on the grill than an 8 year old could do. I love my car, but I have to question Shelbys quality on the things you see the most. The small grill in the hood scoop is another terrible design job. I aslo emailed about that, NO RESPONCE!

Guess i can fix this stuff myself, seems as though they would want to make it right. And don't even get me started about the blower.

JB, I love it. It looks awesome!

Just a piece of info :

My car is 545. The first grill had some distortion. SAI sent a new grill...and that one went back as the black housing had a scratch.

The latest grill we got back this past week is perfect....and it's much "cleaner" in the back where the old grill was. You can tell much more care was taken when removing the old grill in the back. It's more finished..instead of hacked up like the original grill. Also, the pony embem use to be welded or something to the grill. It's now mounted much more professionally with a bracket in the back. This was not the case on the original grill.

Will send a pic later.....grill is going back in...the final stripe was fixed today wahooooo and the car is finally back to normal ! :D

Agree,this grille is better than the first/original 1 installed. The original grille,was a tad ratted around where the emblem was mounted,and the emblem was held on with what appeared to be "JB weld"

The newest grille on the car has no bows,everything cosmetically looks symetrical. It's attached with two chopped L angle brackets.....and I'm guessing they grinded the excess bolt flush with the nuts,to allow for clearance? In all honestly,the brackets holding the factory grille to the Shelby grille,look cheap,rushed,and semi poor from a fab perspective. Externally,the grille looks super!

I would suggest to Shelby,that once they have the FINAL design/s in place,to have the custom parts made via production,verses the backyard garage look to certain things. Again,the car looks great,has great eye candy! And lastly,I would look into redesigning the hood scoop,in relation to how far in the holes are,in relationship to the outside edge of the scoop. Possibly use more screws,closer together,so it's simplistic to draw things down flush and even. Smaller screws might be in order too lol,as it's cosmetic,not a real structural issue.

Archived