TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear end rattle

Radarluv55

Hello guys. Just registered as a new Shelby GT owner. Am looking for info on a condition my new car has as well as another one I test drove at a different dealership. I have a rattle in the rear when going over certain kind of bumps in the road. It also manifests itself as a "harmonic" vibration at low-lugging RPM's. Since I only drove two Shelby GT's and bought one of them, I figured it may be a widespread issue. Has anyone else noticed this? I sent Shelby Automotive an email, but have not heard back yet. Thanks!

Hello guys. Just registered as a new Shelby GT owner. Am looking for info on a condition my new car has as well as another one I test drove at a different dealership. I have a rattle in the rear when going over certain kind of bumps in the road. It also manifests itself as a "harmonic" vibration at low-lugging RPM's. Since I only drove two Shelby GT's and bought one of them, I figured it may be a widespread issue. Has anyone else noticed this? I sent Shelby Automotive an email, but have not heard back yet. Thanks!

There has been a few on here who have experienced the rattle. Most of the time it deals with an exhaust hanger in the rear. There are two ways to fix it if that is the case. One is to trim the metal hanger so it does not rub the frame and the second - which I discovered when I removed my mufflers to see how it sounded with straight pipes - is to loosen the exhaust clamp the holds the muffler to the pipe and slide it back a little. There is room for play or so it was on my car.

I didn't have the rattle but I could see where it had rubbed once or twice in the past.

I have a rattle condition in the rear also, the subject of another thread here. I believe that mine is an exhaust rattle. I have never heard it on bumps, however I do get is during the low-lugging rpms. I am scheduled for a service appointment on 6/7 and hopefully the issue will get resolved. Ford Performance (the "800" number in your Shelby Supplemental Manual) is also assisting me with this issue.

....whew, I am glad it was below 2000 or all of my opinions and thoughts would have been completely invalidated........... :P

EDIT: Stump if you adjusted by moving the muffler forward, do your tail pipe ends still line up?

Of course. On my car it only moved 1/2" or so. It's like the mufflers were installed but not snugged with the exhaust pipe. It helped to heat the muffler side of the pipe with a torch and expand the metal. It slid right on. If you get under the rear of your car with a flashlight it's pretty easy to tell if there is room for movement.

We have been tracking issues like yours on the cars as they get produced. Yours is one that came up relatively early and "we" were thinking cars with CSM numbers over 2000 would already have the problem corrected in quality inspection due to the fact that SAI has been informed & acknowledged the issue some time ago.

Golden Earring fan?

Well, I just checked the muffler brackets and hangers, no rubbing, contact with frame or noise when I shake them. Interesting problem.

Yeah, Golden Earring fan. Loved that song in highschool and it was my CB handle way back when I was screaming up and down the highway in my 74 Road Runner. A real piece of work.

Well, I just checked the muffler brackets and hangers, no rubbing, contact with frame or noise when I shake them. Interesting problem.

Yeah, Golden Earring fan. Loved that song in highschool and it was my CB handle way back when I was screaming up and down the highway in my 74 Road Runner. A real piece of work.

I just looked at your sig. (Ford Racing 200 HP supercharger, ceramic headers)

Have you dynoed your car? Sounds like a monster.

I just looked at your sig. (Ford Racing 200 HP supercharger, ceramic headers)

Have you dynoed your car? Sounds like a monster.

Not yet? Just got it back from the dealer on Saturday after the install. The car only has 800 miles on it, but I can tell you it's pretty darn scary at this point, especially once you get rolling at highway speeds.

My Lightning is in the low 13's high 12's at this point and the Shelby will definately take it. I live in Plano (Dallas) and will probably end up taking it to the NHRA track down in Ennis, Texas to get some real 1/4 mile numbers.

Anyone know of a Dyno place near Dallas? I would love to know the RWH numbers..according to Ford/Whipple it should be around 450 to 475 at the RW.

Not yet? Just got it back from the dealer on Saturday after the install. The car only has 800 miles on it, but I can tell you it's pretty darn scary at this point, especially once you get rolling at highway speeds.

My Lightning is in the low 13's high 12's at this point and the Shelby will definately take it. I live in Plano (Dallas) and will probably end up taking it to the NHRA track down in Ennis, Texas to get some real 1/4 mile numbers.

Anyone know of a Dyno place near Dallas? I would love to know the RWH numbers..according to Ford/Whipple it should be around 450 to 475 at the RW.

I'm in Kaufman. Try Dallas Mustang or possibly Unique Performance. Dallas Mustang will be doing my gear and Whipple mods for me...

....eventually.

Which Dealer? Please don't say Richardson Ford....(ugh!)

I had the same noises at the same speeds ,low RPM lugging. Turned out it was the exhaust pipe hitting the center section of the rear axle where the pipe starts to bend upwards. We loosened the front exhaust clamp and pushed the pipe forward, maybe 1/2 in. and tightened the clamp. Tips still line up and that took care of the problem. Hope this helps. You are going to love the car!

What made you go Whipple instead of Shelby/Paxson?

Thanks for the reply.

What made you go Whipple instead of Shelby/Paxson?

Thanks for the reply.

Guess I just wanted to stay with Ford product and prefer the whipple twin screw setup. I have a 99 Lightning with the Eaton and just prefer that type of compressor vs the Paxton. Whipple's sales pitch on their website is pretty convincing as well. Finally, the whipple produces more horespower for additional warp.

I have a rattle condition in the rear also, the subject of another thread here. I believe that mine is an exhaust rattle. I have never heard it on bumps, however I do get is during the low-lugging rpms. I am scheduled for a service appointment on 6/7 and hopefully the issue will get resolved. Ford Performance (the "800" number in your Shelby Supplemental Manual) is also assisting me with this issue.

and I thought they already forgot about you.. keep us posted.. thanks.

Lawrence

and I thought they already forgot about you.. keep us posted.. thanks.

Lawrence

No, I'm the delay at the moment. I just haven't been able to schedule by appt. w/ the dealer due to business travels.

And girls !! :P :D

Welcome to the boards !

Well, the source has been discovered. The driver's side rear muffler hanger was rubbing the rear bumper reinforcement/cross member. The really interesting thing is I checked this earlier, but the hanger had what I thought was plenty of clearance from the cross member. However, once the exhaust system heats up, there is enough expansion to push the muffler rearward and the hanger into the cross member. I checked it with the engine hot and bata-bing!! Loosened up a few brackets here and there and was able to lower the muffler enough to cut about 1/2 inch off the hanger and aleviate the problem. Of course I was advised of this on an earlier post and it works!! Thanks everyone for your input. One last item, Shelby Automotive replied to my inquiry and they pointed out the driver's side muffler hanger as well as sometime the catalytic converter rubs.

Jack

I'm glad you got yours fixed. Mine goes into the dealer on Thursday for a look, and hopefully, fix.

I'm glad you got yours fixed. Mine goes into the dealer on Thursday for a look, and hopefully, fix.

Thanks for all this info ! I am copying and pasting all this, as I have an intermitent rattle on the driver's side. When I take it into the dealer ( a new one ! :D ) for it's oil change, going to take all this info and have it checked out.

.....I'm gonna leave mine alone for now, you know "warts and all type a thing." Actually I may be lucky it only does it on my car once and awhile.

Likewise with Sue's car. It does it once in a blue moon. I did notice though,when following her,the pipe alignment/height, in respects to each other,are off just ever so slightly. Up close you don't see it.

Looks bitching from the rear,the rear end/stripes! My fav part is the wifes rear end!

Archived