TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT vs GT500 at the strip

timmyer

Well for anyone who wants to know. Was at Alabama International Dragway Sunday afternoon. A friend was testing his race car. By the time we had his car loaded and ready to go the track was getting ready to close. The timers were already disconnected. But we did take a run down the track with my SGT and my buddies GT500. My SGT took about a 3 car link lead through 2 gear mainly due to the GT500 have traction problems of the line. At about 1/8 mile he really started pulling hard and beat me around 3 cars links at the 1/4 mile.

Now we need someone with a S/C SGT to post after pairing up with a Gt500 and see how close it is.........

Well for anyone who wants to know. Was at Alabama International Dragway Sunday afternoon. A friend was testing his race car. By the time we had his car loaded and ready to go the track was getting ready to close. The timers were already disconnected. But we did take a run down the track. My SGT took about a 3 car link lead through 2 gear mainly due to the GT500 have traction problems of the line. At about 1/8 mile he really started pulling hard and beat me around 3 cars links at the 1/4 mile.

Now we need someone with a S/C SGT to post after pairing up with a Gt500 and see how close it is.........

You said "race car" and then "GT500". I'm assuming the GT500 was the race car and modified?

From 3 lengths behind to 3 lengths ahead in a 1/4 mile seems not average for stock vs. stock.

I turned the traction control off in the SGT. He forgot to turn his off. And that was another car I was speaking of being a "race" car. The GT500 is bone stock. If you haven't driven one you will be surprised just how hard those cars pull once it gets in 3 gear..............Of course the 3 links at the beginning are my view while driving the car. It could be a little more or less. We will go back soon and run on the clock and that will tell the real difference........

I turned the traction control off in the SGT. He forgot to turn his off. And that was another car I was speaking of being a "race" car. The GT500 is bone stock. If you haven't driven one you will be surprised just how hard those cars pull once it gets in 3 gear..............

So all in all were you impressed at the performance of the SGT vs the GT500? Was the GT500 owner impressed with the SGT's performance?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I felt pretty good about my cars performance considering there is approximately 181 HP difference. Yes he said he was beginning to think he was not gonna catch me..............

These are the two cars pictured in the post..............pictures of #1209 and friends GT500

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=1291

Yes I felt pretty good about my cars performance considering there is approximately 181 HP difference. Yes he said he was beginning to think he was not gonna catch me..............

These are the two cars pictured in the post..............pictures of #1209 and friends GT500

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=1291

Very good, I love to hear that. You know one would think that a 181 HP difference would just blow anything away in mere seconds, it is weird, isn't it, that it was only a couple car lengths difference? Life is like a box of chocolate...hahahahahahah. :D LOL!

Yeah, once you have a car that can go 0-60 in 5 secs and a quarter mile in 13.5, it begins to take a bunch more HP to go faster, that's for sure.

:( Well things didnt go as planned. The car ran 14.1s all night. First before you get me on my driving skills I was not out banging gears, sliping clucths, or doing any burnouts. I have in the past built a 10.1 second car so im no beginer at this! I ran 4 times and on the last one it ran 14.1 @93 MPH. I left off of the gas so I would not run faster than my dial in. But someone was sand bagging it. I was trying to catch the slower car. I would allways spin through first gear except on the first run it bogged because I left at 2500 rpms. The other runs I left at 3000 rpms. I will post the video in a day or two if my wife does it.

:( Well things didnt go as planned. The car ran 14.1s all night. First before you get me on my driving skills I was not out banging gears, sliping clucths, or doing any burnouts. I have in the past built a 10.1 second car so im no beginer at this! I ran 4 times and on the last one it ran 14.1 @93 MPH. I left off of the gas so I would not run faster than my dial in. But someone was sand bagging it. I was trying to catch the slower car. I would allways spin through first gear except on the first run it bogged because I left at 2500 rpms. The other runs I left at 3000 rpms. I will post the video in a day or two if my wife does it.

I wasn't going to bash. Ed also turned 14's in the quarter although stock GT's can turn mid 13's and it's been reported that this car can as well. I have yet to see it myself.

I think the spin is killing the run. Ed complained of the same thing.

Even Steve at SAI said the car does not really shine until 3rd gear.

Ever run that Cobra with the 4.30's? I bet it hooks up a lot quicker.

GT-H Launch (yawn)

2 Regulaer 07 gt's

One thing i noticed in those video's is that the weight transfer on the Gt's as compared to an Sgt is alot. When the Gt launches you see the transfer and the tires seem to get planted better. When i watch the vids of my Shelby leaving, there is very little thus not loading the tires on launch giving the excessive wheel spin. Im thinking next time out before i run, im going to remove the front sway bar or at least dissconnect it to see if i can transfer more load to the rear.

What do you guy's think?

I am disappointed at the run. The car ahs been tested to run 13.5 (quoted by FOMOCO) and 0-60 in 5.0 seconds. However, I think I can get that to run into the 13's but I also am a arm chair quarter back!

I was dissapointed in mine also but, i know its in the car and i just have to get hooked up............... :)

Archived