TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Extra's

I just purchased my GT500, performance white with vista blue strips. While I was still at the dealership I was talking to one of the mechanic, who was shocked I wanted the license tag holes drilled (back only). That's another story, but he suggested the first add on be a Shelby signed plate with my vin #. I looked and found it at $300.00. Will it truely increase the value?

I just purchased my GT500, performance white with vista blue strips. While I was still at the dealership I was talking to one of the mechanic, who was shocked I wanted the license tag holes drilled (back only). That's another story, but he suggested the first add on be a Shelby signed plate with my vin #. I looked and found it at $300.00. Will it truely increase the value?

This is the first I have heard of this. If you have around $1200 plus install, I would suggest a PHP ported supercharger, tune and CAI that will add 121 RWHP. I will not post the link here because I thought I saw somewhere that was not acceptable in this forum, but we are having one added by our SVT Tech and look forward to the added performance.

• 2 weeks later...

The plate has your vin number on it, it has Carroll's signature and it also includes door sill plates that are billited aluminum that say shelby

I installed a cold air intake (CAI) from JLT and also bought their SCT pre-programed tuner for their CAI on a GT500, the tune and CAI added 76rwhp. The SCT tune wasn't spot on though; the air/fuel ratio was a little lean, not dangerously lean but not spot on. An hour of dyno work and some re-programing got everything in order and added another 5 rwhp.

If I was to do it over again I'd probably only buy the CAI from JLT but not their SCT programer, I would have let my local speed shop provide the tuner (SCT or DiabloSport) and work up a program using their Dynojet.

The CAI is a good place to start and the one from JLT is arguably the best one out there performance and engineering wise and it looks the best out of all of them IMHO.

After bumping the HP you will really notice the rear wheel hop :blink: which can be cured by upgrading the upper and lower control arms on the rear differential, check out Steeda or BMR for control arms.

Hope that helps,

WP

I installed a cold air intake (CAI) from JLT and also bought their SCT pre-programed tuner for their CAI on a GT500, the tune and CAI added 76rwhp. The SCT tune wasn't spot on though; the air/fuel ratio was a little lean, not dangerously lean but not spot on. An hour of dyno work and some re-programing got everything in order and added another 5 rwhp.

If I was to do it over again I'd probably only buy the CAI from JLT but not their SCT programer, I would have let my local speed shop provide the tuner (SCT or DiabloSport) and work up a program using their Dynojet.

The CAI is a good place to start and the one from JLT is arguably the best one out there performance and engineering wise and it looks the best out of all of them IMHO.

After bumping the HP you will really notice the rear wheel hop :blink: which can be cured by upgrading the upper and lower control arms on the rear differential, check out Steeda or BMR for control arms.

Hope that helps,

WP

Very informative post based on experience. Mucho gracias.

I can't see upgrading to the Super Snake. Most people paid $60,000+ including tax and license, then you add a $30,000 Super Snake Package and you have a $90,000 Mustang? :blink: I don't know about that? Plus if you already bought mods you can add that to the budget.

Then you have all these left over parts, after they add the Super Snake Package, you need to hang on to like the 3:30 rear axle, hood, etc...

Problem is you can't get the GT500KR and it will be the complete package, but if you're putting $90K+ into this GT500 anyway...why not just find a KR and pay $100K for it? Just thinking out loud.

Very informative post based on experience. Mucho gracias.

I can't see upgrading to the Super Snake. Most people paid $60,000+ including tax and license, then you add a $30,000 Super Snake Package and you have a $90,000 Mustang? :blink: I don't know about that? Plus if you already bought mods you can add that to the budget.

Then you have all these left over parts, after they add the Super Snake Package, you need to hang on to like the 3:30 rear axle, hood, etc...

Problem is you can't get the GT500KR and it will be the complete package, but if you're putting $90K+ into this GT500 anyway...why not just find a KR and pay $100K for it? Just thinking out loud.

To your point, we (my wife) have (has) decided to add a few things here and there, but have opted out of the Super Snake or even the 40th anniversary (12K) packages. With another 5K to 7K, we can have a 750 RWHP GT500 and that should keep me occupied for some time to come......

To your point, we (my wife) have (has) decided to add a few things here and there, but have opted out of the Super Snake or even the 40th anniversary (12K) packages. With another 5K to 7K, we can have a 750 RWHP GT500 and that should keep me occupied for some time to come......

I also see the point of modifying this car with certified Shelby parts, but I think it has become cost prohibitive. If this does become a collector's item and I think it can it will only be a valuable collectable in 10 to 20 years, or more anyway and then only if it has low miles and cherry original matching number parts. But saving a car in a sealed container is no fun.

Adding a better exhaust is very important (Borla?), a CAI, a good tune, maybe a pulley and a better handling package are arguably the least expensive and most important upgrades to get the most bang for your buck from what I have gathered.

• 4 weeks later...

I also see the point of modifying this car with certified Shelby parts, but I think it has become cost prohibitive. If this does become a collector's item and I think it can it will only be a valuable collectable in 10 to 20 years, or more anyway and then only if it has low miles and cherry original matching number parts. But saving a car in a sealed container is no fun.

Adding a better exhaust is very important (Borla?), a CAI, a good tune, maybe a pulley and a better handling package are arguably the least expensive and most important upgrades to get the most bang for your buck from what I have gathered.

I am considering upgrading the exhaust system. Per the Shelby website, the only system recommended is the Borla. Has anyone installed the Borla and how has it effected the performance and sound quality?

Thanks,

I am considering upgrading the exhaust system. Per the Shelby website, the only system recommended is the Borla. Has anyone installed the Borla and how has it effected the performance and sound quality?

Thanks,

Perormance is a push. Sound quality is considerably better. Sounds like a 500 hp car with the Borlas. I used FRPP but it is the same exhaust.

Perormance is a push. Sound quality is considerably better. Sounds like a 500 hp car with the Borlas. I used FRPP but it is the same exhaust.

.....and less $$$$'s

I am only 40 years old....can't just store this vehicle. I want to enjoy it, not just talk about it on web sites and wait for it to gain value. That's what the stock market is for.....this is for stress releif and family enjoyment. Shelby owners are great people to hang with on the weekends and cruise with!

Very good point, though!

• 4 months later...

I'm with COBRAFAN, I put on the SVT1's and was a little disappointed. They really weren't too much louder than stock. Bought the M-5230-5GT FRPP and loved em. 3.5in poliched tips and embossed FORD RACING on them. They are also quite a bit lighter than the stock mufflers. :D

For me the Super Snake package is worth the $$ compared to the 08 KR. 1200-07 Super Snakes, 1000-08 Super Snakes and 1000-08 KR's. The KR has 540hp, via a FRPP CAI and tune. The Super Snake comes with two options 605hp or the 725hp, both via new blowers,CAI and tune. The KR's will be at least $100K with the ADM, if your lucky. Super Snake packeage is a far better deal for your dollar. Plus the only way to get a CSM number is the 40th package, SS package or KR. This helps maintain the value of the SHELBY. As for the spare parts from the 40th and SS upgrades you can keep them if you have the room, sale them on ebay or let the mod center dispose of them. I'd keep them if you can.

• 4 weeks later...

The serialized placque adds an exclusive look and it increases the cool factor. Worth it, in my opinion. The Shelby pneumatic hood cylinders function very well and look good too. They eliminate the hood prop rod, and make it easier to navigate around your Kenne Bell supercharger!

• 2 weeks later...

The serialized placque adds an exclusive look and it increases the cool factor. Worth it, in my opinion. The Shelby pneumatic hood cylinders function very well and look good too. They eliminate the hood prop rod, and make it easier to navigate around your Kenne Bell supercharger!

I agree about the cool factor and the exclusive look of the dash plaque. I have only purchased two items for my 500; the dash plaque and the Borla "S" exhaust, both from SAI. The plaque really gets noticed by passengers and the exhaust sounds awesome (but no performance gains felt). Now that I have saved up some milk money, I'm considering the 40th anniversary package upgrade. Since neither N.A.D.A. or Kelly appraisal guides will have a value on either the 40th or Super Snake car as a whole, the collector or resale value of the car will be considerably better than the initial expense of either package coupled with the purchase price of the car, and a much faster return on investment as opposed to an un-altered 500 (just my opinion). From what I have read on this forum, there may still be a chance on getting the 40th package done. does anybody have any current information on the availablity of the 40th package?

I agree about the cool factor and the exclusive look of the dash plaque. I have only purchased two items for my 500; the dash plaque and the Borla "S" exhaust, both from SAI. The plaque really gets noticed by passengers and the exhaust sounds awesome (but no performance gains felt). Now that I have saved up some milk money, I'm considering the 40th anniversary package upgrade. Since neither N.A.D.A. or Kelly appraisal guides will have a value on either the 40th or Super Snake car as a whole, the collector or resale value of the car will be considerably better than the initial expense of either package coupled with the purchase price of the car, and a much faster return on investment as opposed to an un-altered 500 (just my opinion). From what I have read on this forum, there may still be a chance on getting the 40th package done. does anybody have any current information on the availablity of the 40th package?

A couple weeks ago there were about 100 spots left of the 500 offered.

A couple weeks ago there were about 100 spots left of the 500 offered.

Thankyou cobrafan for the info. I contacted SAI today and gave them my deposit. At this time I will be close to #375 of 500, and is estimated for some time around March for the upfit. Thankfully enjoyment and appreciation of a car comes in many different ways. Cant wait to enjoy mine some more!

This is the first I have heard of this. If you have around $1200 plus install, I would suggest a PHP ported supercharger, tune and CAI that will add 121 RWHP. I will not post the link here because I thought I saw somewhere that was not acceptable in this forum, but we are having one added by our SVT Tech and look forward to the added performance.

PM me, or email me, details on the PHP ported supercharger, please. I would like to know more. I have heard about the Shelby 600+hp Eaton supercharger upgrade, but that is very expensive. Let me know about your products. Thanks,

JC

Archived