TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A Shelby Built CS-6

restoreclassics

First time here so here goes....

I have made several attempts to contact Shelby Autos about the CS-6. Want to buy one completely done as they designed it. Their website only gives sketchy details and I've looked at the discussions in this forum and still not been able to find the answers I'm looking for. I have made several attempts by phone and email to contact someone at Shelby but to no avail. Has this been anyone else's experience? Are the CS-6's available turn-key from Shelby? If so, what is the price tag? Anyone?

First time here so here goes....

I have made several attempts to contact Shelby Autos about the CS-6. Want to buy one completely done as they designed it. Their website only gives sketchy details and I've looked at the discussions in this forum and still not been able to find the answers I'm looking for. I have made several attempts by phone and email to contact someone at Shelby but to no avail. Has this been anyone else's experience? Are the CS-6's available turn-key from Shelby? If so, what is the price tag? Anyone?

No, not available turn-key from Shelby. They can convert one from a V6 or CS8 from a GT as can a number of Shelby dealers. I don't know what Shelby charges for labor.

If you really want a turn-key one, there is one available here:

http://www.waldenperformance.com/products.html

• 2 weeks later...

I get asked about the authenticity of my CS8 all the time and the best reply I offer them is this: Like Saleen, Steeda, Roush, Cervini, SAI is has now made available a part(s) kit for S197 Mustang enthusiast. Shelby has thrown their hat into the aftermarket parts kit ring. Enabling myself to purchase directly from Shelby in Las Vegas or a Shelby authorized dealer items to enhance my Mustang with the appearance and performance Shelby factory built Mustang, and because of this I say that it is not a "registered" Shelby. But is a Shelby enhanced Mustang. Example, if I was to buy a complete Saleen kit or a Stage 2 Roush kit and do all the mods and installs myself then is it a "real" Saleen or Roush? In the end I did my best to represent the Shelby name and reputation by building my stang so that even the most die hard Shelby fan could appreciate my efforts.

But it does not get that intrinsic aura of Shelby. In the end it is just a modified Mustang.

Too bad, because the CS6 is the most true and exciting product since the GLH-S. I would still love to see a limited run of these produced by Shelby.

robin

But it does not get that intrinsic aura of Shelby. In the end it is just a modified Mustang.

Too bad, because the CS6 is the most true and exciting product since the GLH-S. I would still love to see a limited run of these produced by Shelby.

robin

But it does not get that intrinsic aura of Shelby.

Yes, I would say that's a valid statement, but as I found out that depends on the person too. I had went to the Northwoods Shelby Auto Club Car Show on Saturday and as expected the Shelby experts dismissed my Mustang as a clone or knock-off at first. Because surprisingly most of owners of original Shelby's did not even know of the CS6 /CS8 Shelby Mustang or its aftermarket parts program until I explained to them what SAI intention was to offer components for the S197 Mustang. True, many people will never really accept the home built CS Mustang as a real Shelby. No arguments here in that regards. Then again, as I was standing in the background at the Car Show and I was taken back by soooo many people who saw my car and would swear up and down that this was a "real" Shelby, it was almost comical. It was also funny to hear people say to each other that my stang looked better than the 2007-8 "real" Shelby GT and commented that my car was one their favorite Mustang there at the venue right after the Cervini Mustang and the 1967 GT500 parked next to it. I got lots and lots of great comments about my car. I'll be honest, I was really nervous when the old school hot rodders and gear heads came around to examine my car. I was ready for a bashing. Instead I got many thumbs up and many people standing next to the car to have their photos taken with it. In the end I felt good to be the owner and I was going to drive it home when the show was over. Because there was a lot of other people who would of loved to driven it home as well. B)

I agree, if you have modified your car with shelby parts, why isn't it a shelby. The plates are only if we did it, but if you buy all the shelby parts from us, the car has the Shelby Magic, believe me, I have seen it

Amy

I have to strongly disagree with that statement. I installed the last Shelby provided item (the lower grill) last night (it arrived last week). All the remaining CS6 parts were installed by a Shelby authorized dealer (who builds CSX1000, 4000, 7000 and 8000 series Cobras). The only place where my car has replaced one of the 100% Shelby supplied parts is the faux gas cap where I preferred the Ford supplied Cobra emblem to the CS emblem. I think if I took my car to Las Vegas (over 2000 miles away unfortunately), no one at Shelby would identify it as a "modified Mustang". At the Carlisle show, no one had issues with it being entered in the Shelby & Boss class to include the Shelby and Boss owners (many of whom were privately irritated about all the attention it drew from the public).

100_0884_2.jpg

100_0886_2.jpg

100_0905.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I think the CS6 is the best thing to come along since the GLH-S. It is a total Shelby engineered package.

You have a great build. But being this is a DIY program, there will be inconsistencies in the final product. Because of this, I understand SAAC does not recognize the car. Maybe those guys are just snobs, the SDAC would hail such innovation.

In the 80's Shelby built vehicles like this for sale at select Dodge dealers. Why can't they do that now with Ford? I suspect the problem is on the Ford side.

robin

Don't get me wrong, I think the CS6 is the best thing to come along since the GLH-S. It is a total Shelby engineered package.

You have a great build. But being this is a DIY program, there will be inconsistencies in the final product. Because of this, I understand SAAC does not recognize the car. Maybe those guys are just snobs, the SDAC would hail such innovation.

In the 80's Shelby built vehicles like this for sale at select Dodge dealers. Why can't they do that now with Ford? I suspect the problem is on the Ford side.

robin

According to the guy that gave us the factory tour, you're right. Ford is afraid the CS6 will phase out GTs.

According to the guy that gave us the factory tour, you're right. Ford is afraid the CS6 will phase out GTs.

SAAC will never recognize a DIY car. There is no quality control to base it on every guy making the car has different thought of appeal and design than someone else. So I agree with SAAC on this one whole heartedly and 100%.

SAAC will never recognize a DIY car. There is no quality control to base it on every guy making the car has different thought of appeal and design than someone else. So I agree with SAAC on this one whole heartedly and 100%.

What I meant is that Shelby wanted to build the CS6's like the GTs and GT500s, but Ford wouldn't let them.

In 1965/66 etc you could buy (still can) every 'unique' part for the GT350 from Ford and Shelby American. They even advertised the parts in car magazines to turn your car into a GT350. Today you can buy every part used by Saleen and Roush. You can build a clone so dead on accurate that without running the vin number you can't tell the difference.

It doesn't matter. Unless it went down the 'assembly' line be it Shelby, Saleen or Roush...it will always be a clone-not to put down the CS6...as the difference is slight...it doesn't matter to many...but in reality.. original factory build is original build. Period.

In 1965/66 etc you could buy (still can) every 'unique' part for the GT350 from Ford and Shelby American. They even advertised the parts in car magazines to turn your car into a GT350. Today you can buy every part used by Saleen and Roush. You can build a clone so dead on accurate that without running the vin number you can't tell the difference.

It doesn't matter. Unless it went down the 'assembly' line be it Shelby, Saleen or Roush...it will always be a clone-not to put down the CS6...as the difference is slight...it doesn't matter to many...but in reality.. original factory build is original build. Period.

Here's the way we look at it.....

I don't think if you buy all the parts from us and do it yourself its a clone, it is a shelby parts car, or a shelby cs6 complete kit. The badges are for cars that are made at shelby, that was always the rule. Right now at barrett jackson, clones go for alot of money, because they are built with reall shelby parts. Do I think a home built car will be worth as much as a shelby from the factory, probably not, but will it be worth more then a car with mods from other manufacturers? I would bet yes.

The date will always rage, I have seen a cs6 get a lot of attention, is it a shelby, yes. a shelby built by you. with our parts and our design and parts we put on cars like the hoods, grills etc.......

enjoy the car, itsbeautiful and I bet you had lookers at that car show

Amy

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, if you have modified your car with shelby parts, why isn't it a shelby. The plates are only if we did it, but if you buy all the shelby parts from us, the car has the Shelby Magic, believe me, I have seen it

Amy

Amy Amy Amy, with all due respect please leave the salemanship at the office. Everyone knows what a "real" Shelby is no need to break a guys balls to get a fales baavado point accross. To answer your question, you would not have a job if everyone could just buy parts and have a real Shelby! We love all the part, keep em coming, but pleeeease keep the salesmanship at the office.

PS: I would love to have you work for my company! B)

Amy Amy Amy, with all due respect please leave the salemanship at the office. Everyone knows what a "real" Shelby is no need to break a guys balls to get a fales baavado point accross. To answer your question, you would not have a job if everyone could just buy parts and have a real Shelby! We love all the part, keep em coming, but pleeeease keep the salesmanship at the office.

No offense, but somehow I put more weight in what Amy says as the president of Shelby. I also kind of suspect that Mr. Shelby would tend to back up her statements and I think he would be the final arbitrator.

I believe in the long run, a very well built CS6, will be worth more than the new GT500 and Shelby GT.

The GT500 is really an SVT Mustang. Their long term appeal will be to the SVT/SVO collector. The Shelby GT is a Ford Racing engineered car with Shelby design cues. The long term appeal will be to the Mustang enthusiast.

The CS6 is Shelby designed and engineered. This is the car that truly embodies the Shelby pedigree. So I think the potential long term value makes the CS6 desirable. Now if it were only blessed with Shelby assembly....

I believe in the long run, a very well built CS6, will be worth more than the new GT500 and Shelby GT.

The GT500 is really an SVT Mustang. Their long term appeal will be to the SVT/SVO collector.

I think you are missusing the SVO term here. I own an SVO and the appeal for those cars is not the same as the GT500 or any other high hp V8 Mustang. The SVO was a balanced, handbuilt car made to compete with european performance cars like Audis and BMWs. This balance was in it's suspension as well as it's forward thinking powerplant—a high performance pony car with less than 8 cylinders but with the same or better performance than the top line GT of the day.

The CS6 is somewhat along the lines of the SVO (minus the nonperformance enhancing body work), but not the GT500.

The only offerings Shelby had at the time were with Dodge and I don't think the Dodge cars were much, if any competition to higher end performance Mustangs. The SVO was targeted primarily at the European performance cars of the day. If Ford would have done a better job educating it's salesman (resulting in better sales), the program would have continued into '87 with a 250hp SVO 4-banger and might have set an alternate direction for Ford performance.

In my experience, I never found a Mustang or Camaro that was a match to the Dodge based Shelby GLH-S. The only real competition at the time were the turbo Buicks.

However, the heavier Shelby CSX was more closely matched to the SVO Mustangs.

robin

I can't speak to experiances when these cars were new as I was in junior high/high school. I do however have a copy of just about every piece of Ford marketing liturature (both public facing and in house) and none of them mentioned the Shelby Dodge products or even GM products as their competitors for the SVO. Whether a car is faster or not was not my point on competition. It was real world sales competition and the preformance oriented Dodges were not a sales threat to Mustangs of any type.

As to personal experiances, A good friend used to have a Shelby 4 door Dodge something or other and I would eat it for lunch every time we played around. My car (when stock) would even keep toe to toe with a stock fox body Mustang GT on the street.

One thing that is certain is that there are not enough restoration parts foor either one of our cars. Shelby has all but forgetten you and Ford has all but forgotten me.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL! you know, I really do believe this. A full kit from Shelby on a Mustang, my very well be recognized down the road, just as the 60's California specials, are recognized for usingShelby parts. No one can see into the future, but we at Shelby designed all the CS parts in house, we make all the fiberglass parts inhouse, so, down the road, I think it will be special

Amy

• 1 month later...

is it true AMY you guys are building cs8's for local las vegas ford dealers

I dont have the time to build the cars I can build, nope, no CS8's, that is just a bad rumor.

A

Archived