TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby/Baer Brakes Install

ShelbyPilot

My neighbor and I installed the Shelby/Baer brake package today. It took about 3 hours and used basic tools. It was a nice bolt on job and we probably could have done it faster if we split the work but we were having fun doing it one wheel at a time. I want to thank Jason at Hillbanks for his advice and recomendation to install them myself. Saved me about $400. Here are the pictures. There are also some that show the front brake ducting. Front Brakes first. I'll post the rears after somebody replies and I can add a post.

Comparison:

IMG_0609.jpg

Stock Rotor off to dhow brake duct:

IMG_0607.jpg

Front all done:

IMG_0611.jpg

Front wheel back on and on the ground:

IMG_0615.jpg

OK, now the rears. The package was $2000.00.

Comparison:

IMG_0604.jpg

Rear completed:

IMG_0605.jpg

Wheel back on and on the ground:

IMG_0616.jpg

Precious:

IMG_0613.jpg

The rush of the thunderous V8 screaming out of the hole sideways @ 4800 RPM then stomping on the pedal after the tires quit spinning, then you get slammed to the back of your seat and the passenger say's "STOP PLEASE STOP"!!!!!!! That's what will happen. I say "My God man, when will you stop it is killing me". :P

Are the new wheels 20's?? What kind were they, they looked really sharp on your car. :)

They are the American Racing, Shelby Legend Series, GT40 (40th Anniversary. They are 20" X 9" in the front and 20" X 10.5" in the rear. I don't know if you cant tell from the pictures but it does look like you could use a smaller diameter wheel with the proper offset. My front off set is 39mm and the rear is 40mm.

....I say "My God man, when will you stop it is killing me". :P

I am about done. I have one little thing to put on tomorrow that I forgot about today. A few weeks from now I will have the windows tinted and July/Aug headers. That will be all.

...Please tell us it has been worth the wait. B)

Gary

.....althought the wait was frustrating. I love everything about this car.

Nice job. I paid $360 for the install locally so you are right on the money. Just remember to break em in right. What a hassle...

<bleep> u guys are way out of my league, it would take me 1 day for one wheel and i'd still screw it up, actually i doubt i'd even be able to do it :). can you explain the break in hassles you are talking about. anyone with tivo record the barrett jackson auction replay today, first car was the s-gt csm #0001 that went up for charity 600k, second car was shelbys 1966 true shelby cobra i think, 1 of 2, the 2nd destroyed in accident with owner, went for 5million!!! kinda cool to see the auction we all heard about, i told my 4yr old daughter thats my car and all she could say was i don't see you up there..and its mustang, she gets a kick calling it mustang while i keep correcting her thats its a shelby and she just laughs and runs away IT'S A MUSTANG. AHHHH father daughter bonding :)

.......TY, It was actually pretty easy. My neighbors impact wrench was the only tool that you may not have in your garage. It wouldn't take you a day and I'd be willing to help. Even if it took a day it would be worth it.

According to the instructions from Baer, I am supposed to drive the car normally for about 500 miles. No racing or excessive braking. Then find a piece of road where I can do several heat cycles of braking from 55-70 down to about 15-20. It is supposed to be done several times and harder braking each time.

.......TY, It was actually pretty easy. My neighbors impact wrench was the only tool that you may not have in your garage. It wouldn't take you a day and I'd be willing to help. Even if it took a day it would be worth it.

According to the instructions from Baer, I am supposed to drive the car normally for about 500 miles. No racing or excessive braking. Then find a piece of road where I can do several heat cycles of braking from 55-70 down to about 15-20. It is supposed to be done several times and harder braking each time.

Nice car man. Did your supercharged shelby came with the CS hood? Do you also have pics of your engine bay?

Nice car man. Did your supercharged shelby came with the CS hood? Do you also have pics of your engine bay?

....The CS hood was extra. Look for pictures in the Talk about your Shelby GT thread.

EDIT:

I forgot, if you are going to do this look for a step by step article in the June issue of Mustang Enthusist.

could you please list the part numbers for the front and rear braked kits you used? Do you notice any difference in braking? pedal feel? Thaniks.

...I don't know the part number it is the only Shelby brake package currently available. It is on the shopping page. If you don't want the Shelby part of it then it is, I believe the Baer GT package. Checked the information and compare they should be identical except for the branding. I don't notice any difference in the pedal feel but I only had my car for 2 days when I did the swap. Neither set of brakes has been seasoned so I wouldn't venture a comparisson guess. Sorry, that wasn't very helpful.

They are the American Racing, Shelby Legend Series, GT40 (40th Anniversary. They are 20" X 9" in the front and 20" X 10.5" in the rear. I don't know if you cant tell from the pictures but it does look like you could use a smaller diameter wheel with the proper offset. My front off set is 39mm and the rear is 40mm.

I wouldn't change anything---they look SWEEEEEEEET! I'd just like to have my SGT so I could even contemplate making any changes. Any of the changes you've made that you wouldn't do again??

<bleep> u guys are way out of my league, it would take me 1 day for one wheel and i'd still screw it up, actually i doubt i'd even be able to do it :) . can you explain the break in hassles you are talking about. anyone with tivo record the barrett jackson auction replay today, first car was the s-gt csm #0001 that went up for charity 600k, second car was shelbys 1966 true shelby cobra i think, 1 of 2, the 2nd destroyed in accident with owner, went for 5million!!! kinda cool to see the auction we all heard about, i told my 4yr old daughter thats my car and all she could say was i don't see you up there..and its mustang, she gets a kick calling it mustang while i keep correcting her thats its a shelby and she just laughs and runs away IT'S A MUSTANG. AHHHH father daughter bonding :)

Vegas, you can do it. If no compressor and impact wrench, an electric one from Sears exists. Also if you or anyone else has copied that BJ part when the SGT and Cobra were on the block, let me know as I'd love to get another copy. I had DVR'd all 40 hours back in January and then moved the data to a backup USB drive. Well the USB drive crashed and I may have lost the data - funny, I'm in the business too. Daughter sounds cute.

0057, I posted more pics as I was there when Socal took delivery. Click on the May 18 gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Adams.ShelbyGT?pli=1

Socal, any more details on the break-in? Also, if you ordered from the SAI website, why were your brakes silver? I thought the Shelby brake package was "RED" brakes with "SHELBY" on all 4 brakes?

Emperor, love the user name. The 20" wheels are needed per SAI. Someone even tested it if I recall.

...I don't know the part number it is the only Shelby brake package currently available. It is on the shopping page. If you don't want the Shelby part of it then it is, I believe the Baer GT package. Checked the information and compare they should be identical except for the branding. I don't notice any difference in the pedal feel but I only had my car for 2 days when I did the swap. Neither set of brakes has been seasoned so I wouldn't venture a comparisson guess. Sorry, that wasn't very helpful.

thanks. I will check the Shelby page.

man your car looks fantastic!! are bigger wheels a must for the brake upgrade? could you not run the stock 18inch black bullitts? thanks and great looking car man! :)

Thank You and evrybody for the compliments. No the 18" bullets will not fit over the brakes. Shelby says that 20" wheels are required. However, if you look closely at the pictures, I think that 19's or even 18's would fit with the right offset/back spacing. But I would take very careful measurements. I am happy the way mine is and I will keep them.

Socal, any more details on the break-in? Also, if you ordered from the SAI website, why were your brakes silver? I thought the Shelby brake package was "RED" brakes with "SHELBY" on all 4 brakes?

Adam, I simply ordered the brake package along with the other mods. I got exactly the pieces I was expecting. It is described as such on the SAI shopping page (link below). The only mention I have seen of a Shelby kit with red calipers on all four is for the super snake.

Help me out with some questions about the break in. I simply paraphrased what I got form the Baer instructions.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/parts/ShowDetail.asp?id=37

Archived