TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Top Speed Upgrade?

jcurtis1806

To all fellow mustang lovers and enthusiasts...

I am looking into buying a new Mustang Deluxe V6 Coupe. I was interested in adding the Paxton Supercharger to it and possibly the Borla exhaust. The GT has a top speed of almost 150 mph, while the V6 only goes 113. With the supercharger added, will the top speed of the V6 change for the better, or will I have to do something additional?

I drive a 2006 Mustang Deluxe V6 Coupe. I was interested in adding the Paxton Supercharger to it and possibly the Borla exhaust. The GT has a top speed of almost 150 mph, while the V6 only goes 113. With the supercharger added, will the top speed of the V6 change for the better, or will I have to do something additional?

The top speed of the V6 is limited by the computer. It was deliberately limited since the driveshaft, particularly on the 2005 & early 2006 models had a bad habit of coming apart at speed. The driveshaft has been improved since then but still is questionable. Without the speed governor (having it shut off with a programmer), the V6 is capable of somewhere in the range of 130-140. I wouldn't drive it at that speed with the stock driveshaft (or at that speed on the highway). Just FYI, the GT's driveshaft has also been known to fail.

How expensive would it be to replace the driveshaft with a better one? And how do you go about reseting the computer? And is that even legal?

I drive a 2006 Mustang Deluxe V6 Coupe. I was interested in adding the Paxton Supercharger to it and possibly the Borla exhaust. The GT has a top speed of almost 150 mph, while the V6 only goes 113. With the supercharger added, will the top speed of the V6 change for the better, or will I have to do something additional?

How expensive would it be to replace the driveshaft with a better one? And how do you go about reseting the computer? And is that even legal?

I have the CHE Powerhouse Aluminum drive shaft with safety loop, it cost me between $400.00-$500.00.

How did you go about changing your governor? Or do you know how I could do that?

How did you go about changing your governor? Or do you know how I could do that?

And, do the 2007 V6 and GT have the same problems with the drive shafts?

And, do the 2007 V6 and GT have the same problems with the drive shafts?

Both the V6 and GT driveshafts are steel and two piece driveshafts which makes them heavy. At VERY high speed, vibration can cause them to become unstable and fail particularly at the joints. The early V6 (early 2006 and before) driveshafts lacked retaining pins at the ends of the u-joints (completely stupid idea). So at high speed, the u-joints could work out of their retainers and come apart. In late 2006 they added retaining D clips to the ends of the u-joints which makes them safer.

Both the V6 and GT driveshafts are steel and two piece driveshafts which makes them heavy. At VERY high speed, vibration can cause them to become unstable and fail particularly at the joints. The early V6 (early 2006 and before) driveshafts lacked retaining pins at the ends of the u-joints (completely stupid idea). So at high speed, the u-joints could work out of their retainers and come apart. In late 2006 they added retaining D clips to the ends of the u-joints which makes them safer.

Thank-you, how do you know so much about this? My mom is actually looking at Mustangs now (unlike I said before about already driving one) but we can't decide between the V6 or the GT. I thought, however, that the V6 with the Pony Package and the Paxton supercharger from ShelbyAutos would be HOTT. So do you think that's a good choice? Getting the V6 with the supercharger and possibly a new drive shaft? I thought it may save me a few thousand dollars rather than buying the more expensive GT.

Thank-you, how do you know so much about this? My mom is actually looking at Mustangs now (unlike I said before about already driving one) but we can't decide between the V6 or the GT. I thought, however, that the V6 with the Pony Package and the Paxton supercharger from ShelbyAutos would be HOTT. So do you think that's a good choice? Getting the V6 with the supercharger and possibly a new drive shaft? I thought it may save me a few thousand dollars rather than buying the more expensive GT.

I spent 2 years researching my car.

Either choice will be a lot of car.

You don't need a new driveshaft if you don't drive over 100. Driving on the highway at that speed is reckless and dangerous to yourself and everyone else sharing the road with you. Not to mention a major legal hassle if you get caught. If you want to drive that fast, pay the money and go to a racetrack. Then you will need a front driveshaft safety loop for an aftermarket driveshaft or a front and back loop for the 2 piece stock one.

I spent 2 years researching my car.

Either choice will be a lot of car.

You don't need a new driveshaft if you don't drive over 100. Driving on the highway at that speed is reckless and dangerous to yourself and everyone else sharing the road with you. Not to mention a major legal hassle if you get caught. If you want to drive that fast, pay the money and go to a racetrack. Then you will need a front driveshaft safety loop for an aftermarket driveshaft or a front and back loop for the 2 piece stock one.

I usually don't drive over 100, simply because I drive an '04 Toyota 4Runner with oversized tires and a 1-inch lift in the front. So I usually don't like to go much over 90, but if I had a Mustang, I would at least want it to be able to perform close to the GT which tops out somewhere around 150. Just in-case I wanted to race it at the track or such. So my question is if I want that available, should I replace the driveshaft with an aluminum or carbon fiber 1 piece immediately or should I keep the one I have and put a couple of safety loops under there?

I usually don't drive over 100, simply because I drive an '04 Toyota 4Runner with oversized tires and a 1-inch lift in the front. So I usually don't like to go much over 90, but if I had a Mustang, I would at least want it to be able to perform close to the GT which tops out somewhere around 150. Just in-case I wanted to race it at the track or such. So my question is if I want that available, should I replace the driveshaft with an aluminum or carbon fiber 1 piece immediately or should I keep the one I have and put a couple of safety loops under there?

And also, what kind of gas mileage does the V6 get after adding a supercharger?

And also, what kind of gas mileage does the V6 get after adding a supercharger?

Stay away from carbon fiber driveshafts on a street machine, they can get nicked by a rock and break or crack, aluminum driveshafts will take a rock hitting it and maybe dent but it won't fail, unless it's a real big rock I suppose... The weight savings between CF and aluminum driveshafts is negligable, in some applications its about the same.

Don't V6 Stangs have a different rear differental? I don't believe it's a 8.8 in the V6??? If you up the ponies you may need to also consider upgrading the rear-end as well.

I say buy the GT ;)

Cheers,

WP

yea driving fast on the highway is not good i got caught going way over the speed limit $440 ticket with surchargers included and 6 points on my license :angry: . I only go fast on the track now

Driving over 100 mph on public roads in California gets you arrested and your car towed if they catch you. 2 points on your DMV record and possibly a misdemeanor conviction but they usually drop it to a infraction if you didn't try to run, the fine runs about $500 plus court fees and laywer fees if you hire one. AND your insurance will shyrocket or they may decide to drop you altogether.

Racing against another automobile in California is now a felony, as of 1-1-07. You loose your license for 6 months, big fine, possible jail time and in some cities (Los Angles) they confisgate your car and they destroy it. And as a convicted Felon, you can no longer own a firearm, vote (in some States) and that little box on the employment form that asks if you are a convicted felon, you have to check that...

I learned the hard way :( and now advocate taking it to the track.

Cheers,

WP

Driving over 100 mph on public roads in California gets you arrested and your car towed if they catch you. 2 points on your DMV record and possibly a misdemeanor conviction but they usually drop it to a infraction if you didn't try to run, the fine runs about $500 plus court fees and laywer fees if you hire one. AND your insurance will shyrocket or they may decide to drop you altogether.

Racing against another automobile in California is now a felony, as of 1-1-07. You loose your license for 6 months, big fine, possible jail time and in some cities (Los Angles) they confisgate your car and they destroy it. And as a convicted Felon, you can no longer own a firearm, vote (in some States) and that little box on the employment form that asks if you are a convicted felon, you have to check that...

Cheers,

WP

So, you're basically saying that if I wanted to go to the track, a 100% stock '07-'08 Mustang GT would be fine going 150 mph and wouldn't fail on me? I told my mom it would be awesome to supercharge the V6, but then I'd have to go through all of that trouble of getting it professionally installed and then I'd have to invest in a 1-piece driveshaft? Probably not worth it if I'm not going to be doing a lot of racing...Practically next to none.

"So, you're basically saying that if I wanted to go to the track, a 100% stock '07-'08 Mustang GT would be fine going 150 mph and wouldn't fail on me? "

Well, OK. If that's what you want to be able to do with it, the GT will work better than the V6. The other thing to consider is the warranty, a modified V6 may void it depending on what breaks. Over rev your super charged V6 motor and blow it up and you will be paying to fix it, not Ford; Mom won't like it either...

"So, you're basically saying that if I wanted to go to the track, a 100% stock '07-'08 Mustang GT would be fine going 150 mph and wouldn't fail on me? "

Well, OK. If that's what you want to be able to do with it, the GT will work better than the V6. The other thing to consider is the warranty, a modified V6 may void it depending on what breaks. Over rev your super charged V6 motor and blow it up and you will be paying to fix it, not Ford; Mom won't like it either...

GREAT! ...not

Cheers,

WP

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :o :o :o :o

WOW, now there's a grill!

Nice GT500Eleanor and picture of the man enjoying it...

Is that the one from Texas?

WP

The GT driveshaft is a 2-piece driveshaft as well. It is of a different design than the V-6. It weighs something like 47 lbs and has been known to come apart at high speed as well. As you can imagine, it is harder to balance a driveshaft made out of 2 pieces than one. I would not trust either of the stock driveshafts at 150 mph.

I am looking into buying a new Mustang Deluxe V6 Coupe. I was interested in adding the Paxton Supercharger to it and possibly the Borla exhaust. The GT has a top speed of almost 150 mph, while the V6 only goes 113. With the supercharger added, will the top speed of the V6 change for the better, or will I have to do something additional?

I don't have an answer there but you brought up a good point about the V6 car that puzzles me. I noticed on my V6 Mustang that on a flat out top speed run at about 113 or thereabouts the car just goes artificially flat, just like a switch was flipped and power shut down. Does anyone know if the car has a speed controller as such or is this a fuel delivery shortcoming? There is more speed left in the V6, you can feel it. Such a shame the factory would consider holding the car back like this considering what the car is and what you would expect from a Mustang.

I don't have an answer there but you brought up a good point about the V6 car that puzzles me. I noticed on my V6 Mustang that on a flat out top speed run at about 113 or thereabouts the car just goes artificially flat, just like a switch was flipped and power shut down. Does anyone know if the car has a speed controller as such or is this a fuel delivery shortcoming? There is more speed left in the V6, you can feel it. Such a shame the factory would consider holding the car back like this considering what the car is and what you would expect from a Mustang.

Speed controller since the stock driveshaft is dangerous at higher speeds.

Archived