TEAM SHELBY FORUM

cs8/cs6 grill... ouch

bam009champ

So i got my parts in, basically entire exterior package minus wheels and hood. i wanted to put the "shelby" letters on the grill so the body shop didn't have to and they wouldn't be able to mess it up, which turned out to be a baad idea. I was working for a loong time (not going to say how long to save myself the embarrassment), and basically, i decided that there was noo other way than to tap out a couple of holes. well i was off to a real bad start as it is: the "E" had a bent prong, and when i tried to bend it straight, it snapped off. It was the only prong on that side, but there's two on the other side, so just my luck that the one important one breaks. Sooo, everythings goin great; i measured PERFECTLY, centered, everything... i had it great and tapped out a couple holes. i only needed like three. it was done except for that E, which i saved for last. i put it in and the darn thing was stickin up on the one side that there was no prong. Soooo i tried to put a liiiiitle but of adheisive to make it stay. NOOOO. a little didn't work, i put a lil more.. then i realized it looked like crap with the super glue sliiightly visible. so i take the "e" off, and try to wipe the glue off with goo gone. the goo gone made the paint on the grill extremely [weak]? and when i rubbed off the glue ( the little bit that budged) th metal, in some places, became visible. so i'm "E"-less, unless i want it popping up, and have a big spot on the grill where shiny accents and dried super glue are visible (on black, everything shows)... Im a young kid and still in school, so all the money i've raised from my job from the past like 9-10 months, has went towards this package. My day was ruined basically because a main part of my project is quite unsatisfactory and that money was thrown b/c of a stupid, stupid move i made. i'm ok with the slight metal showing, but does anyone have an idea of how to get the glue off?? orrr how to get the e to stay? Any ideas / comments / advice ?.!.?.!.?

So i got my parts in, basically entire exterior package minus wheels and hood. i wanted to put the "shelby" letters on the grill so the body shop didn't have to and they wouldn't be able to mess it up, which turned out to be a baad idea. I was working for a loong time (not going to say how long to save myself the embarrassment), and basically, i decided that there was noo other way than to tap out a couple of holes. well i was off to a real bad start as it is: the "E" had a bent prong, and when i tried to bend it straight, it snapped off. It was the only prong on that side, but there's two on the other side, so just my luck that the one important one breaks. Sooo, everythings goin great; i measured PERFECTLY, centered, everything... i had it great and tapped out a couple holes. i only needed like three. it was done except for that E, which i saved for last. i put it in and the darn thing was stickin up on the one side that there was no prong. Soooo i tried to put a liiiiitle but of adheisive to make it stay. NOOOO. a little didn't work, i put a lil more.. then i realized it looked like crap with the super glue sliiightly visible. so i take the "e" off, and try to wipe the glue off with goo gone. the goo gone made the paint on the grill extremely [weak]? and when i rubbed off the glue ( the little bit that budged) th metal, in some places, became visible. so i'm "E"-less, unless i want it popping up, and have a big spot on the grill where shiny accents and dried super glue are visible (on black, everything shows)... Im a young kid and still in school, so all the money i've raised from my job from the past like 9-10 months, has went towards this package. My day was ruined basically because a main part of my project is quite unsatisfactory and that money was thrown b/c of a stupid, stupid move i made. i'm ok with the slight metal showing, but does anyone have an idea of how to get the glue off?? orrr how to get the e to stay? Any ideas / comments / advice ?.!.?.!.?

i think i'm just gunna order neww letters and hend the grille over to the body shop, see what they can do... Anyone know if i can get just an "E"? any other ideas???

Thanks guys, i appreciate it!

Take the letters off the grill, bead blast it (body shop will know what it is) and re paint the grill. When you put the letters back on be careful. I used a little super glue with mine to give them a better hold. Also you have the option of buying the "stick" type letters they work good as well. ;)

Archived